Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra is welcome)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra is welcome) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra is w... - 7/7/2017 9:38:40 PM   
Dinglir

Turn one.

Attachment (1)

We need only to kick in the door, and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down.

Adolf Hitler, on the eve of Barbarossa.
Post #: 1
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/8/2017 1:39:05 PM   
Telemecus

Glad to see another of your AARs started. Is the new avatar and quote to reflect the changed sides?

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 2
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/8/2017 1:53:18 PM   
Dinglir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

Glad to see another of your AARs started. Is the new avatar and quote to reflect the changed sides?

Yes, it simply would not do playing Axis with a Soviet quote and avatar.

Incidentally, the AAR might not pick up speed for some time, as Dontra is currently on vacation and unsure ofhis ability to access the game.

We need only to kick in the door, and the whole rotten structure will come crashing down.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 3
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/8/2017 2:07:19 PM   
Stelteck

Good luck with the grey side !!!

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 4
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/9/2017 6:43:52 PM   
Dinglir

Turn two.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 5
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/10/2017 7:09:38 PM   
Crackaces

Playing with German opening moves .. I am seeing my northern pz divisions low on fuel turn #3 as you have in your AAR. Is this different? and the changes in fuel drops I think is changing things from previous releases in that it slows down advance ?

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 6
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/10/2017 9:01:16 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

Playing with German opening moves .. I am seeing my northern pz divisions low on fuel turn #3 as you have in your AAR. Is this different? and the changes in fuel drops I think is changing things from previous releases in that it slows down advance ?

PZ's are always low on fuel turn 3 North, unless of course, a HQ buildup was done & I haven't seen many do that yet in my games.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 7
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/10/2017 9:07:04 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Dinglir quoted, "The Soviets have broken most of my pockets, including the Bialystock pocket."

Sometimes this is a good thing, especially if the Soviets don't control their TOE and leave it at 100%, then all of those units get reinforcements & you get to bag them too ;-)

(in reply to HardLuckYetAgain)
Post #: 8
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/10/2017 9:15:03 PM   
HardLuckYetAgain

Playing the German war machine will make you a better Soviet player 100%. What I have noticed in my Games as a German player and as a Soviet player is that so many still have issues with reading the supply network and putting that reading into operational status on the battlefield. With that said, if the Soviets play close in your game in the south he may get burnt.

Post #: 9
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/11/2017 10:50:48 AM   
56ajax

quote:

ORIGINAL: HardLuckYetAgain

Dinglir quoted, "The Soviets have broken most of my pockets, including the Bialystock pocket."

Sometimes this is a good thing, especially if the Soviets don't control their TOE and leave it at 100%, then all of those units get reinforcements & you get to bag them too ;-)

Not sure on this as the Soviet Logistics phase happens at the end of the AXIS turn.

Soviet opens pocket. End turn. AXIS logistics phase run.
AXIS closes pocket. End turn. Soviet logistics phase run.

All opening the pocket does is ensure that your units don't surrender for another turn. If the gap is wide enough you may get some HQs out. Still it is good housekeeping to lower the TOE of isolated units just in case.

Please tell me if I am wrong.

Post #: 10
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/12/2017 6:50:57 PM   
Dinglir

Turn three.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to 56ajax)
Post #: 11
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/13/2017 3:32:39 PM   
Dinglir

Turn four.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 12
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/14/2017 4:10:53 AM   
Dinglir

Turn five.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 13
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/14/2017 4:11:31 AM   
Dinglir

Turn Six

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 14
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/14/2017 4:12:07 AM   
Dinglir

Turn Seven.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 15
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/14/2017 4:12:39 AM   
Dinglir

Turn Eight.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 16
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/14/2017 4:13:12 AM   
Dinglir

Turn nine.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 17
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/14/2017 4:15:53 AM   
Dinglir

At this point my opponent has chosen to resign the game.

I have, unfortunately, not received a pm regarding his take on events and do not know his reasons for resigning.

I do believe I have learned quite a lot about playing the Axis in this brief campaign, and I promise to do some stuff differently in future campaigns.

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 18
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/15/2017 5:37:08 AM   
bardamu57

It is really instructive to read you, Dinglir. Your AARs is of very high quality and it is a real pleasure to read you.

(in reply to Dinglir)
Post #: 19
RE: Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra ... - 7/15/2017 8:46:45 AM   
Dinglir

Thanks for the compliment. It is appreciated.

I have often felt that the AAR's I write do not really do justice to my thoughts and considerations during play. For every decision I document, there is at least 50 that I do not.

For instance during that last turn against Dontra in the south, the proper AAR should begin describing the ground attack with something like:

1) At first I decided to move a few infantry divisions as close to the Soviet lines as possible, in order to find the optimal path of MP for my Panzers were to follow.
2) As the frist line of Soviet defenders were cavalry, I then moved up a 10CV Motorized division, that would have enough MP to conduct three hasty attacks against the Cavalry (assumed to have a max defensive CV of two in unfortified terrain).
3) Proceeding to attack the cavalry brigades with hasty attacks, I failed one and succeeded in two, pushing the cavalry back northeast and southeast respectively.
4) A benefit of moving the Motorized division between the two cavalry divisions was that I now knew the center defenders CV to be X=X (I do not racall by now). I then moved up a Panzer division with enough MP to conduct a prepared attack and also placed its Corps HQ in position to support the attack.
5) Conducting a prepared attack pushed the two defending units back to the northeast.

The above covers the first three attacks of the events in the south where I ended up doing some 20-30 attacks in total - and I have not even documented my air bombings above either. Covering the three areas of the front, I literally make hundreds of decisions like this every turn and hardly any of them ends up being documented.

But I am glad you like what I do end up writing.

(in reply to bardamu57)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Dinglirs guide on how not to play the Axis (Dontra is welcome) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI