Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looking for a new Video Card

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looking for a new Video Card Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looking for a new Video Card - 6/17/2017 12:02:25 PM   
RisingSun

Soon gonna have another video card in my pc, the reasons I am upgrading it so I can playing Skyrim on VR. The card I have is right below it and didn't pass the Steam VR Performance Test.

After checking on Newegg, they aren't cheap. But there are some decent prices between 200-300, but I am concern what brand names I should grab.

What bother me is that if one I picked isn't going to last, may not be able to get a replacement. Some customer reviews are good and some bad.

Hopefully I can get the VR set by Christmas, they are expensive. So Between Oculus Rift or Vive, most recommended me to grab the Vive.

Forgot to mention, don't want any ATI brand or Radeon w/e that thing is. I always stick with Nivida GeForce Series.
Gotta be PCI_E 3.0 x16, 4GB but not sure if 3G will be enough and the core clock need to be over 1K as well CUDA too.

So I have bought and use a lot of EVGA and XFX brands, but like gigabyte, MSI and other brands, just not really sure if I should get one. They are cheaper, but may not be that great.

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 6/17/2017 12:23:37 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/17/2017 12:39:37 PM   
VPaulus

GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080/

As for brands, I usually only have Asus, but EVGA, MSI and Gigabyte are also OK.
My question is only if it wouldn't be beneficial to have some SLI system for VR, instead of using a single GPU...

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 2
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/17/2017 12:44:43 PM   
RisingSun

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/10series/geforce-gtx-1080/

As for brands, I usually only have Asus, but EVGA, MSI and Gigabyte are also OK.
My question is only if it wouldn't be beneficial to have some SLI system for VR, instead of using a single GPU...

Thanks for the inputs VPaulus, trying to get one that isn't too expensive. That card you mention there is going to be around 550. I have seen some that recommend around 1060 series for 250 to 300. Depending on PSU usage.

There are a lot of games out there doesn't support SLI, but gonna try get that too incase. Not sure what Beth will do to Skyrim VR (PC) cant stand the PlayStation or any other consoles. PC is the best setup and even can do much more than consoles.

I may can grab something that isn't higher than 350 for the card, plus the headset and may have to upgrade my CPU as well lol. Well asking for a lot of money there. Like around 1500+.

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/17/2017 1:58:38 PM   
VPaulus

I had the feeling that in order to get a good experience with VR you would need to have 6o fps on each lens (imagine like having two monitors).
I'm not sure if you are going to obtain this with a 1060... I would say 1070 as a minimum.
To be honest I'm not really up to date regarding VR, so I might be wrong.

Check this article:
http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/vrguide/

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 4
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/17/2017 1:59:13 PM   
hadberz

I use a AMD Radeon 480x 8GB, excellent card, will do what you want, and cheap, but for Nvidia my son loves his 1080. I recommend you don't go below a 1070 as its comparable to the AMD 480. That said, AMD next gen card is coming soon, might force a price reduction with Nvidia. Same thing will probably happen with the new cpu coming out. I plan to see who will have the best deals on cpus. :)

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 5
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/17/2017 4:16:05 PM   
RisingSun

Cool, I will look into it and see what Newegg have. I had a few on the wish list and they are sold out. So by the end next month and see how much I saved. I do agreed to get 1080, only few extra and worth it.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 6
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/17/2017 10:55:50 PM   
Greybriar

I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB and can't say anything bad about it. It's been a great card since I bought my new PC last November.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 7
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/18/2017 12:23:10 AM   
Ranger33

I have a 1080 and it works great with the Vive. You don't need the TI version.

My main advice is to avoid doing dual cards. It's always better to have a single powerful card, in my experience and based on what I've read from others. It's just a really mixed bag in terms of which games work fine with it and which have minor/major issues.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 8
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/19/2017 11:36:43 AM   
zakaho

hope you finished the issue

(in reply to Ranger33)
Post #: 9
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/19/2017 3:13:50 PM   
RisingSun

Gonna try get the card next month, then later either the Ocullus Rift or Vive around black Friday or Xmas. The card is vary, depend on what I can find and affordable on Newegg.

(in reply to zakaho)
Post #: 10
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/19/2017 10:57:03 PM   
demyansk

I have the 1070 on a 2009 computer. Works great

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 11
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/20/2017 12:33:51 PM   
Crossroads

Here's a link to 3Dmark GPU Benchmark page, I find it useful when trying to stay in touch with things. I've got my own desktop as well as my two son's gaming PCs to maintain, so we're buying like one GPU a year to house to keep things current. They've got a nice benchmark page for CPUs as well.

For a 200-300 budget I'd probably look at a 8GB GTX 1070 basic card with no frills nor thrills, as they may add a bit of oomph but do not often provide much bang for buck, rather the opposite. I'd look at ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte for instance. With any luck, one of those brands should be available on a discount at a USD300 or thereabouts.

That's what I do anyway, look for the best price for a basic card for as high a series that I can fit into my budget.

Can't comment on VR though...

Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
---
CS: Vietnam | CS: East Front 1939-1941 IN-THE-WORKS
CS: Middle East 1948-1985 2.0 DUE OUT SOON

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 12
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/20/2017 12:46:06 PM   
Crossroads

Another thing: I try not to renew a GPU before a newer card with at least a 2x benchmark score fits the budget. Smaller improvements don't really cut it to be worth the money, for me at least.

So in the link I provided, a NVIDIA GTX 1070 has a benchmark score of 18,360 so an older card with a score at 8,000 to 9,000 would now be replaced. That's my rule anyway

---

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 13
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/20/2017 2:29:07 PM   
RisingSun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Here's a link to 3Dmark GPU Benchmark page, I find it useful when trying to stay in touch with things. I've got my own desktop as well as my two son's gaming PCs to maintain, so we're buying like one GPU a year to house to keep things current. They've got a nice benchmark page for CPUs as well.

For a 200-300 budget I'd probably look at a 8GB GTX 1070 basic card with no frills nor thrills, as they may add a bit of oomph but do not often provide much bang for buck, rather the opposite. I'd look at ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte for instance. With any luck, one of those brands should be available on a discount at a USD300 or thereabouts.

That's what I do anyway, look for the best price for a basic card for as high a series that I can fit into my budget.

Thank Crossroads, noticed the 70 series seem to be slightly cheaper, but there none under 300. Only 60s series are that range. Just looking at Newegg site, had one and the second, on the wish list and sold out again lol.

I will check when I have the money, look like people out there buying the cheapest one. My setup, I wouldn't go below 6GB card and 192-bit range. As long it has good VR performance then I am good to go.

---------------------

Just noticed that card I have right now is Nvidia GTX 660, rating at number 69 rank. Yeah it is pretty old, but a good card back then.

< Message edited by RisingSun -- 6/20/2017 2:32:23 PM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 14
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/20/2017 6:28:53 PM   
wodin

A few months back it was a toss up between an NVIDIA 1060 6gig and an AMD RX480 8gig. Though the 1060 piped it in performance I had read a few articles which said over time the 480 8gig may be the better investment..so went with the 480. Very happy with it but sometimes I wonder about that 1060...it would have been my first NVIDIA card in many many years.

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 15
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/20/2017 7:49:31 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

Thank Crossroads, noticed the 70 series seem to be slightly cheaper, but there none under 300. Only 60s series are that range. Just looking at Newegg site, had one and the second, on the wish list and sold out again lol.

I will check when I have the money, look like people out there buying the cheapest one. My setup, I wouldn't go below 6GB card and 192-bit range. As long it has good VR performance then I am good to go.

---------------------

Just noticed that card I have right now is Nvidia GTX 660, rating at number 69 rank. Yeah it is pretty old, but a good card back then.

We've been an AMD house so far, but just bought an ASUS GTX 1060 6GB OC for my other son for ca USD 300. Very nice first impressions

Edit: his old card was an AMD R9 270, so a nice upgrade from a score of 6,000 to 13,000+

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 6/20/2017 7:53:33 PM >

---

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 16
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/21/2017 7:23:22 AM   
RisingSun

Cool, I will let you know what I got once I got it running and see how it goes. Nothing can be done right now atm.

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 17
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/21/2017 7:57:21 PM   
julie

'The best graphics cards for PC gaming'

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3106426/components-graphics/the-best-graphics-cards-for-pc-gaming.html

(in reply to RisingSun)
Post #: 18
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/21/2017 11:11:52 PM   
demyansk

I read an online article that prices are skyrocketing. Some bottleneck in production.

(in reply to julie)
Post #: 19
RE: Looking for a new Video Card - 6/22/2017 7:13:48 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: demjansk

I read an online article that prices are skyrocketing. Some bottleneck in production.

Cryptocurrencies like Ethereum and Zcash require GPUs to mine new coins, similar to bitcoins. Extreme pricing bubbles for cryptocurrencies have sent graphics card demand through the roof, resulting in low stocks and wildly inflated pricing for Radeon and GeForce hardware alike. It's virtually impossible to buy any mainstream graphics cards for anywhere near the suggested retail price right now, though GeForce prices tend to be somewhat less extreme than Radeon prices. From Zorch's link. Not the first time I heard it. Glad I got the RX480 8 gig before hand.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looking for a new Video Card Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI