Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another Win 10 upgrade issue...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Another Win 10 upgrade issue... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/10/2017 1:48:52 AM   
ChezDaJez

I upgrade from Windows 7.1 to Windows 10 recently. At first, I had horrible lag problems with the cursor, etc... but the -deepcolor switch fixed that.

However, I also have a different problem that I haven't heard mentioned. While playing the game, it frequently minimizes the game to the taskbar or occasionally to a very small window in the upper left showing just the name of the game. Most often, I am not able to access the taskbar to reselect the game. This happens regardless of whether I am inputting orders or watching a combat replay. The small window displays no icons to restore the window to full size. I have to open the Task Manager and then close it to get access to the taskbar again. Sometimes the screen will flash as I access the game icon in the taskbar. And very frequently, it just minimizes again as soon as the game reappears. The love the game and it is unplayable for me. It is very frustrating especially as I was one of the researchers and playtesters for AE years ago.

CPU- I7 4790
Video: MSI GTX1070
HD: Dual 500gb SSDs
Memory: 32gb
Montior: Acer 28" UHD
Resolution 3840 x 2160

Any thoughts would be greatly appreaciated.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98
Post #: 1
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/10/2017 6:17:54 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

I upgrade from Windows 7.1 to Windows 10 recently. At first, I had horrible lag problems with the cursor, etc... but the -deepcolor switch fixed that.

However, I also have a different problem that I haven't heard mentioned. While playing the game, it frequently minimizes the game to the taskbar or occasionally to a very small window in the upper left showing just the name of the game. Most often, I am not able to access the taskbar to reselect the game. This happens regardless of whether I am inputting orders or watching a combat replay. The small window displays no icons to restore the window to full size. I have to open the Task Manager and then close it to get access to the taskbar again. Sometimes the screen will flash as I access the game icon in the taskbar. And very frequently, it just minimizes again as soon as the game reappears. The love the game and it is unplayable for me. It is very frustrating especially as I was one of the researchers and playtesters for AE years ago.

CPU- I7 4790
Video: MSI GTX1070
HD: Dual 500gb SSDs
Memory: 32gb
Montior: Acer 28" UHD
Resolution 3840 x 2160

Any thoughts would be greatly appreaciated.

Chez

My anti-virus minimizes my game when it accesses the internet, presumably to download updates. If it gets too annoying I just unplug my router/modem. BTW, I am on Win 7.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 2
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/11/2017 3:46:06 PM   
geofflambert

If you have your desktop background in slideshow format, that'll do it everytime it changes. I had mine going every 5 minutes which was a pain, so I've changed it to once an hour. Also, when my taskbar clock changed the clock shows above the game map but the map usually doesn't minimize. I don't unplug the modem, I just turn off my browser. Also I have a screenshot program that uses function key 6 (it overrides the game use for that key) so when I want to to something else without closing the game out I just take a screenshot and the game subsequently minimizes.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/12/2017 4:04:48 PM   
Admiral DadMan

It also sounds like you're running full screen, which I will experience that as well if I don't minimize all other programs. Now I run it mostly in Windowed mode.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 4
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/12/2017 7:23:40 PM   
inqistor

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

However, I also have a different problem that I haven't heard mentioned. While playing the game, it frequently minimizes the game to the taskbar or occasionally to a very small window in the upper left showing just the name of the game. Most often, I am not able to access the taskbar to reselect the game. This happens regardless of whether I am inputting orders or watching a combat replay. The small window displays no icons to restore the window to full size.

I have similar issue, even this small window, it seems background tends to appear over the game. I am pretty sure, that when I can not access taskbar, WitPAE is still running in main window, it just don't show it. Try to alt-TAB back to game. Mine appear back after 10-15 seconds of inactivity. Not really playable, but definitely game do not hangs, just have problem with background creeping. I have this issue on new laptop, with WINDOWS 10 preinstalled.

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 5
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/13/2017 5:44:52 AM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

It also sounds like you're running full screen, which I will experience that as well if I don't minimize all other programs. Now I run it mostly in Windowed mode.

Me to. I did have the same problems but never since I run in a window.

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 6
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/13/2017 12:52:26 PM   
m10bob

My CPU came with win10 factory installed and as of an update maybe a month ago, the taskbar at the bottom will show over the full screen map..Rather than go to windows mode for the game, I just chose the option to hide the taskbar, which I can still see if I just move the cursor to the bottom edge of the desktop when not playing the game.

At least it's not the debacle we got with win 3.1, lol

(autoexec.bat....config.sys....HIMEM)

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 7
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/13/2017 1:29:13 PM   
VPaulus

It could be also related with the last Windows 10, the Creators Edition.
In the compatibility tab you have a new option named "Disable Full-Screen optimization", tick it to disable the new feature.
https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/17615463161

< Message edited by VPaulus -- 6/13/2017 1:30:39 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 8
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/14/2017 11:49:52 AM   
Uncivil Engineer

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

My CPU came with win10 factory installed and as of an update maybe a month ago, the taskbar at the bottom will show over the full screen map..Rather than go to windows mode for the game, I just chose the option to hide the taskbar, which I can still see if I just move the cursor to the bottom edge of the desktop when not playing the game.

At least it's not the debacle we got with win 3.1, lol

(autoexec.bat....config.sys....HIMEM)

You can also drag the taskbar to the left or right side. You get a vertical taskbar and it still hides part of the map (in full screen), but not the critical game info along the bottom edge.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 9
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/14/2017 1:54:39 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

In the compatibility tab you have a new option named "Disable Full-Screen optimization", tick it to disable the new feature.

My machine just did a WIN 10 update and now WitP gives me a "can't set screen mode" error! I tried the "disable full-screen" switch with no joy!

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -dd_sw -deepColor -px1600 -py900 -cpu2 -archive -autosave

This is the command line I use. I even reset the pixel to 1074 x 768 and still no joy!! Anybody help me?

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 10
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/14/2017 3:31:48 PM   
m10bob

quote:

This one seems to have helped me a lot...Thank you!

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 11
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/15/2017 1:21:37 PM   
VPaulus

@Capt Cliff
Try playing in windowed mode instead:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -dd_sw -deepColor -px1600 -py900 -cpu2 -archive -autosave

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 12
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/15/2017 3:22:59 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

@Capt Cliff
Try playing in windowed mode instead:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -w -dd_sw -deepColor -px1600 -py900 -cpu2 -archive -autosave

I found that WIN 10 update corrupted some system file that prevented anyone from changing the resolution, the resolution was under intensified in the settings display menu. I ran a system file check and the problem is now gone. FYI

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 13
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/15/2017 3:31:11 PM   
zakblood

it can and does happen, most still install updates with AV on, when it's always best to disable until reboot, running offline with the update downloaded, same as turning off screensaver and just turn off the monitor until it's done, a repair doesn't take long on a good HD, faster still on a SDD, but way quicker on a fresh install of windows...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/instantanswers/bd832f07-1420-0c14-d2a5-0a5a24ba40be/using-system-file-checker-in-windows-10

System File Checker is a utility available in Windows 10 that checks for system file corruption. It's recommended for advanced users. To run it:
Select Start  , and in the search box, enter Command Prompt. Press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt (Desktop app) from the search results and select Run as administrator.
Enter sfc /scannow (note the space between "sfc" and "/").

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 14
RE: Another Win 10 upgrade issue... - 6/15/2017 5:49:19 PM   
VPaulus

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood
System File Checker is a utility available in Windows 10 

... and in other the Windows versions.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Another Win 10 upgrade issue... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI