Sluggish UI

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jwolf

Sluggish UI

Post by jwolf »

The good news: I got my game transferred to a new machine, and as far as I can tell it is resuming correctly right where I left it.

The bad news: slow, often painfully slow interface. Mouse clicks sometimes respond promptly and other times only after a delay of 2-5 seconds. Scrolling within reports such as the command or operations report is difficult. The down arrow, either on the keyboard or at the right margin of the report, only shifts down one line at a time at a slow rate. Grabbing the scroll box in the margin with the mouse, or scrolling with the center wheel of the mouse, is faster but very jerky: no response, then after a delay several lines shifted down.

What settings do I need to change in order to fix this?

Edit: Disaster! I alt-tabbed the game to go to the forums here. When I returned, all text lines show up as solid lime green rectangles, completely unreadable. What the **** happened? [X(]
Admiral DadMan

RE: Sluggish UI

Post by Admiral DadMan »

Did you remember to make a shortcut to the program .exe file and add the command line switches?

The switches that most often fix the problem are -dd_sw and -deepColor
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

I haven't tried any command line switches yet. Please see the edit to my original post as the display problems are much worse now. [:(]
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: jwolf

I haven't tried any command line switches yet. Please see the edit to my original post as the display problems are much worse now. [:(]
The best that I can tell you is to kill the game through the Task Manager, go into the .exe shortcut, and start adding in switches to the command line of the shortcut. As I said above, the 2 that may help you the most are -dd_sw -deepColor
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

The display problems after switching between programs sound like the game has been set up with a non-standard resolution for your video card and monitor.
Did you set -pxnnnn and -pynnnn where the 'n's are numbers? It is usually best to start with a resolution your desktop offers when you use Windows to change your Desktop resolution. These are the ones that Windows has decided it can use with your video card and monitor. After you get everything running you can tweak your video settings because (I think) the -deepColor and other switches handle the non-standard displays.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

Where are instructions on the command line switches? I remember seeing step by step directions about two years ago, but I don't know where they are now, and they don't seem to be in a sticky thread anywhere.

Edit: Found it after a bit of searching here, looks like all is well with the two switches recommended by Admiral DadMan above. Many thanks.

Return to “Tech Support”