Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What do I do now

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> RE: What do I do now Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What do I do now - 11/1/2017 12:26:37 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

quote:

After praising the AI's performance there has been one anomaly, KOLOWRAT was shattered near INGOLSTADT, many turns ago, and reduced to one shattered infantry division (Brady) left at strength of only 1.

However, 4 French units have stayed in the same hex as KOLOWRAT (2 from IV Corps - 2 from Wu Corps), doing very little. They may be stopping KOLOWRAT from retreating and re-grouping, though there is precious little to regroup. They make little effort to finish the job and KOLOWRAT survives, when he should have surrendered a long time ago.

KOLOWRAT wants to flee to BUDWEIS, but is going nowhere, but then neither are the 4 French units, which are being wasted.

Also, KOLOWRAT has 136 points of supply which nobody is using, should not the French capture this.

I have had a 'sneak-peek' at the French side of the hill and these units are showing as correctly attached to their respective corps which are now miles away. They show no severe loss, just showing a little tired, so any one of these units could quickly despatch what remains of KOLOWRAT, but nothing happens for turn after turn, even though they are set to 'engage'.

Now Turn 30 and the shattered divisions with KOLOWRAT have finally surrendered, Brady infantry (which was showing in 'View units') and Klenau infantry (which I did not know was there).

This has been sometime in coming, with the corps being shattered in Turn 21 and now surrendering in T30, but compare the images above.

Last turn KOLOWRAT showed an Inf strength of (1), which made sense as the only visible unit was Brady infantry at strength (1), everything else is stragglers and wounded. This all looked OK, except that this situation remained for many turns with 4 good French units in the same hex and only now have they surrendered. Not sure about Klenau who surrendered in the same hex at the same time, as I didn't see any info on this unit and it didn't appear in the corps strength figure, but I will have to check previous game saves.

KOLOWRAT himself remains on the map, with the warning message 'Divisions by zero', which seems to mean that he has no units, which could be worded better.

KOLOWRAT now shows 'confident', although the corps 'Contact stance' still shows shattered, stress has dropped from (135) to (1), which is odd.

KOLOWRAT now shows strength figures for divisions that he does not have.

Objective has changed to a random hex on the River Roth (32,16).

Finally there is still the supply (136), what happens to that ?

So this information panel makes little sense, except that KOLOWRAT now has little relevance and this may all be resolved in the next turns, but the display is odd.

This image is still Turn 30, but after reloading a game save and now KOLOWRAT's info panel shows a more realistic state with all indicators going to (0), except that supply still shows (136), but without the green bar.

I wonder what has happened to the supply, I would have thought that the French should have it.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 11/1/2017 12:36:43 PM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 31
RE: What do I do now - 11/4/2017 9:27:15 AM   
Rasputitsa

Continuing with Turn 30, remembering that the scenario only has 10 more days to run.

I Corps Artillery (BELLEGARDE) is the only unit of this corps still in good shape, so now attached to LOUIS, to help him defend SCHWANDORF. BELLEGARDE and the remaining shattered units, after failing to hold off LANNES, are heading for KLATTAU and will not be of any use for some time. I hope LANNES is in as bad shape and that LOUIS only has to face BERNADOTTE.

The four French units that stayed with KOLOWRAT are now free to move and are positioned to cause problems for CHARLES at LANDSHUT, or join LEFEBVRE and the IMPERIAL GUARD which appear to be moving that way from MUNICH, after HILLER successful defence of the city.

KIENMAYER is recovering and has orders to march to PASSAU, to support LIECHTENSTEIN, although some of his infantry units are still 'wavering', or 'brittle'.

So often on the Austrian side, it has been the corps commanders who have become 'brittle' first, often with very little actual combat. The Austrian units have remained confident until the devastating effects of a lost battle, but the rot has started at the top. This is only the first game in v3.05, but it does seem to represent historical reality very well.

The supply that was captured at MUNICH seems to have reached the LOC at WIMPERK, although there was some wastage and the quantity reduced. If this is WAD, then it is a nice touch.

Using the mouse-over feature on blank hexes, I can see that there should be no French units with 2 hexes of MUNICH, back along the AUGSBURG road, which is comforting, but it doesn't show where they are heading, towards LANDSHUT to confront CHARLES, or back to have another attempt at MUNICH. HILLER has set his own objective as WIMPERK, so is probably not receiving orders, as the are French units blocking the roads. CHARLES needs to re-establish contact, possibility after taking LANDSHUT and opening the road to MUNICH, which will also cut across the EMPEROR's supply lines. Somariva cavalry was detached to do just task that last turn, but now MASSENA's IV Corps has been revealed between the rivers, but which way is it headed, following the French movement East, or coming back to secure the supply route.

At first FREISING was the objective and it would still be useful to capture the town, maybe with a cavalry probe, but now a strategic plan is forming.

LANDSHUT is the key, with HILLER holding out in, or near MUNICH, no French supply can route that way, so LANDSHUT becomes the only French supply route to the two corps near BRAUNAU. Can CHARLES get into position at LANDSHUT, with sufficient troops to hold back MASSENA ? The success the Austrians have enjoyed is when there has been a force multiplier, a river, or a city, to level the odds. This only works when the Austrians have time to concentrate, as when LANNES was able to bundle BELLEGARDE back over the Danube quickly, it was because BELLEGARDE's corps was strung out along the road and never had time to concentrate. It was only the tardy arrival of LOUIS at CHAM which saved BELLEGARDE, however, HILLER made a good defence on the river INN against LEFEBVRE and again at MUNICH, against LEFEBVRE and the IMPERIAL GUARD. It is vital that the Austrians become concentrated at some defensive feature, before being drawn into battle.

HOHENZOLLERN needs to cover the rear of CHARLES' against interference from the loose French IV corps units and BERNADOTTE, whilst communication have to be regained with HILLER, so that he can be ordered to co-operate against MASSENA, or hold off LEFEBVRE.

I am setting the objectives, but the AI is actually moving the units, mostly reasonably well, but sometimes with some backwards and forwards movements, although it seems to shake out by the end of the turn. The AI does mostly lead with the cavalry, but this can be assured by detaching cavalry units to move ahead, only they need to be reattached before a battle occurs, so that the corps commander can have a chance of using all of his resources in any combat.

CHARLES is marching between the main concentrations of the French forces, this could be a brilliant manoeuvre, or a disaster in the making. Several of the French corps have suffered losses, but MASSENA and VANDAMME have not suffered much and are probably still powerful units. If CHARLES is going the spring a trap on them at LANDSHUT, the problem will be keeping the trap closed without destroying what is left of his army. The Victory Points panel show that both sides now have low confidence, but which will break first.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 11/4/2017 4:58:29 PM >

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 32
RE: What do I do now - 11/8/2017 12:13:54 PM   
Zecke

me..me also..i have this game¡.rasputitsa thx for remembering me that this game i had in my CD-DISCOTEQUE..

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 33
RE: What do I do now - 11/9/2017 5:06:56 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zecke

me..me also..i have this game¡.rasputitsa thx for remembering me that this game i had in my CD-DISCOTEQUE..

Pleased that you have the game, but note that this is v3.05 of the newest issue of the game and that the screen shots in these posts use the CHEMKID map and counter mod, so they will not look the same as the original game.

(in reply to Zecke)
Post #: 34
RE: What do I do now - 11/12/2017 10:57:19 AM   
Zecke

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zecke

Pleased that you have the game, but note that this is v3.05 of the newest issue of the game and that the screen shots in these posts use the CHEMKID map and counter mod, so they will not look the same as the original game.

A womak¡..which is able to say everythinhg becomes able to do everything; NapoleoNA

thx for the info i appreciatte.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 35
RE: What do I do now - 11/12/2017 11:08:14 AM   
Zecke

quote:

Continuing with Turn 30, remembering that the scenario only has 10 more days to run.

I Corps Artillery (BELLEGARDE) is the only unit of this corps still in good shape, so now attached to LOUIS, to help him defend SCHWANDORF. BELLEGARDE and the remaining shattered units, after failing to hold off LANNES, are heading for KLATTAU and will not be of any use for some time. I hope LANNES is in as bad shape and that LOUIS only has to face BERNADOTTE.

The four French units that stayed with KOLOWRAT are now free to move and are positioned to cause problems for CHARLES at LANDSHUT, or join LEFEBVRE and the IMPERIAL GUARD which appear to be moving that way from MUNICH, after HILLER successful defence of the city.

KIENMAYER is recovering and has orders to march to PASSAU, to support LIECHTENSTEIN, although some of his infantry units are still 'wavering', or 'brittle'.

So often on the Austrian side, it has been the corps commanders who have become 'brittle' first, often with very little actual combat. The Austrian units have remained confident until the devastating effects of a lost battle, but the rot has started at the top. This is only the first game in v3.05, but it does seem to represent historical reality very well.

The supply that was captured at MUNICH seems to have reached the LOC at WIMPERK, although there was some wastage and the quantity reduced. If this is WAD, then it is a nice touch.

Using the mouse-over feature on blank hexes, I can see that there should be no French units with 2 hexes of MUNICH, back along the AUGSBURG road, which is comforting, but it doesn't show where they are heading, towards LANDSHUT to confront CHARLES, or back to have another attempt at MUNICH. HILLER has set his own objective as WIMPERK, so is probably not receiving orders, as the are French units blocking the roads. CHARLES needs to re-establish contact, possibility after taking LANDSHUT and opening the road to MUNICH, which will also cut across the EMPEROR's supply lines. Somariva cavalry was detached to do just task that last turn, but now MASSENA's IV Corps has been revealed between the rivers, but which way is it headed, following the French movement East, or coming back to secure the supply route.

At first FREISING was the objective and it would still be useful to capture the town, maybe with a cavalry probe, but now a strategic plan is forming.

LANDSHUT is the key, with HILLER holding out in, or near MUNICH, no French supply can route that way, so LANDSHUT becomes the only French supply route to the two corps near BRAUNAU. Can CHARLES get into position at LANDSHUT, with sufficient troops to hold back MASSENA ? The success the Austrians have enjoyed is when there has been a force multiplier, a river, or a city, to level the odds. This only works when the Austrians have time to concentrate, as when LANNES was able to bundle BELLEGARDE back over the Danube quickly, it was because BELLEGARDE's corps was strung out along the road and never had time to concentrate. It was only the tardy arrival of LOUIS at CHAM which saved BELLEGARDE, however, HILLER made a good defence on the river INN against LEFEBVRE and again at MUNICH, against LEFEBVRE and the IMPERIAL GUARD. It is vital that the Austrians become concentrated at some defensive feature, before being drawn into battle.

HOHENZOLLERN needs to cover the rear of CHARLES' against interference from the loose French IV corps units and BERNADOTTE, whilst communication have to be regained with HILLER, so that he can be ordered to co-operate against MASSENA, or hold off LEFEBVRE.

I am setting the objectives, but the AI is actually moving the units, mostly reasonably well, but sometimes with some backwards and forwards movements, although it seems to shake out by the end of the turn. The AI does mostly lead with the cavalry, but this can be assured by detaching cavalry units to move ahead, only they need to be reattached before a battle occurs, so that the corps commander can have a chance of using all of his resources in any combat.

CHARLES is marching between the main concentrations of the French forces, this could be a brilliant manoeuvre, or a disaster in the making. Several of the French corps have suffered losses, but MASSENA and VANDAMME have not suffered much and are probably still powerful units. If CHARLES is going the spring a trap on them at LANDSHUT, the problem will be keeping the trap closed without destroying what is left of his army. The Victory Points panel show that both sides now have low confidence, but which will break first.

WACHT OUT WITH NAPOLEON¡ I assume you are playing WITH FOG (wwilliam fog

Keep you army FULL of supplys and dont go for single units; just go TO the BIG city; always the enemy is planing a circle

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> RE: What do I do now Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI