OT : Tv to replace pc monitor

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

patrickl

OT : Tv to replace pc monitor

Post by patrickl »

I am thinking to buy a Sony tv say 43 inch to use as my laptop monitor. Need some advice. Laptop display at 15 inch too small and computer monitors on the market like LG and Samsung here are not cheap 32 inch already SGD1,000[&o]. A new good quality Sony 43 inch tv costs only SGD650. I know HDMI wire is required but some adjustments are needed on the laptop setup. Appreciate your advice. Thks
Banner designed by rogueusmc
BBfanboy

RE: OT : Tv to replace pc monitor

Post by BBfanboy »

I'm no expert, but I think refresh rate is important if you are going to play any graphics intensive games like first person shooters.
I am not sure all TVs are built to have compatibility with the software of a computer video output, unless it says so on the box. OTOH, the game controllers kids use (like XBOX, Playstation) are small computers so maybe it isn't a big deal.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Usually one can just adjust the aspect ratio on the telly if the laptop gives out an inflated picture. If you have the 4:3 ratio on the laptop it should work OK on the TV, too.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

If this is not too old SONY, I doubt any adjustments would be needed. I have 50 in SONY BRAVIA, and I just put HDMI into laptop, and have instant picture on TV.
There is small problem with my older 42 in LG, because I am using RGB cable (only because I had one long, spare), and somehow my laptop resolution is 1360, but TV resolution is 1366 (It's actually full HD, but I didn't tried to force it yet). So keep in mind, that your TV could have better supported resolution, than laptop, so make sure you are setting it as second monitor, or your laptop screen would go black. HDMI cable also transfers sound, so you just use TV Remote for everything.
And, if you actually buy ANDROID TV (like SONY BRAVIA), it also works as wireless display for your ANDROID Smartphone. Setting it takes only few seconds. You can project pictures, movies, or even working screen onto TV, without problem.
As long as TV is not too old LCD, WINDOWS should actually recognize it, and its resolution.
Rafid

Post by Rafid »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I'm no expert, but I think refresh rate is important if you are going to play any graphics intensive games like first person shooters.
I am not sure all TVs are built to have compatibility with the software of a computer video output, unless it says so on the box. OTOH, the game controllers kids use (like XBOX, Playstation) are small computers so maybe it isn't a big deal.

TVs almost always support 60Hz as refresh rate which is the same as low cost computer monitors (special gaming monitors go a lot higher). Connecting a modern laptop to a TV is usually no problem.

Two remarks:
- If your laptop is older, check that it can supply the TVs resolution via the HDMI output (might be FullHD 1920*1080 at 60 Hz?!). Unfortunately this information is not easy to find in many cases. You could just try rigging it to another (a friend's) TV. In this case: Make sure that it is running at the full resolution. Sometimes laptops set lower resolutions on their own accord if set up to an external screen.
- Keep in mind that one reason TVs are cheaper is their lower pixel density. A 32" at FullHD screen is around 70 dpi (dots per inch), but a 43" TV is at ~50 dpi. You are buying more screen but no more pixels, just bigger ones. Low dpi numbers make sense for TVs since their viewing distance is usually a lot higher (> 3m) than computer screens (< 1m). Seen from a distance the big pixels don't matter anymore. Personally I prefer dpi > 90 for a computer screen at a typical working distance and am willing to sacrifice screen size for this, but your individual preference might differ a lot, depending on experience, eye sight, etc.
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Thanks guys for your excellent advice. Time to move to TV panels as monitors. Sony TV sound is excellent. [8D]
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Yeah, I hook up to hotel TV's all the time with my laptop. As my 8yo would say: "easy, Peasy, Lemon Squeazy".
Pax
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

It depends what are you going to be using it for; if it is for playing WITPAE and watching movies, sure you can

however, you might want to take a look at "4K monitors" which gives more resolution (more pixels) and are needed if you plan to get into other games like first person shooters or simulators
EDIT: Important to mention that a 4K monitor needs a powerful processor and video card, check if your laptop can take it,

I am getting hooked into air simulators and just recently bought a 27 inch 4K monitor.. size is perfect as I sit close to the screen, and with things like TrackIR (some form of headset), I really feel like I am flying a combat plane!!

DRF99

Post by DRF99 »

I'm connected to an external 4K monitor with my 2 year old MacBook Pro. Love the real estate! I can only get WitP-AE to display up to 2560 x 1600 in windowed mode. (I'm using Wineskin to run it on the Mac.) I don't play any graphics heavy games so it works fine.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

The biggest thing is the lower pixel density on TVs. If you are sitting far away from the screen, that's fine. But if you're up close, like at a desk, I absolutely would not ever use a TV as a monitor.
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: DRF99

....I can only get WitP-AE to display up to 2560 x 1600 in windowed mode...

"only" he says... [8|] lol
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Thanks guys. I will go for a 4K Ultra HD Sony a 43 inch should be good.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Just my opinion, but I think your money would be better spent hiring a group of re-enactors, like this group who were about to re-enact the battle of Pearl Harbor.

Attachments
reenact.jpg
reenact.jpg (102.37 KiB) Viewed 157 times

geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

Would Matrix have to pay residuals to use that footage, or could a modder steal it for free?

Taxcutter

Post by Taxcutter »

I use a 65" Samsung plasma TV as my monitor.

Its 600 Hz refresh rate blows away even the fastest first-person shooter and allows me to play WitP-AE from my La-Z-Boy.
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

65 inch screen with 600 Hz refresh rate [&o][&o]. Now that is a beauty. The set up costs 10 grand but we men need our man cave to be just a bit more comfortable.[8D][:D]
Klahn

Post by Klahn »

Refresh rates between plasma and LCD/LED don't compare. Plasma works by basically creating a bunch of dark images of the same frame and passing them over and over without changing them. This slowly brightens the image to the desired level. Large Samsung plasmas take 10 refresh passes per frame. While it has a 600Hz refresh rate, the frame rate of the big Samsungs is actually 60Hz.
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

ORIGINAL: Ryvan

Refresh rates between plasma and LCD/LED don't compare. Plasma works by basically creating a bunch of dark images of the same frame and passing them over and over without changing them. This slowly brightens the image to the desired level. Large Samsung plasmas take 10 refresh passes per frame. While it has a 600Hz refresh rate, the frame rate of the big Samsungs is actually 60Hz.

Thanks, no plasma tv for me. [&o][:)]
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

AFAIK, plasma TVs or monitors are a dead end, technology speaking. I mean all major manufacturers stop production a few years ago, but of course I can be wrong
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

AFAIK, plasma TVs or monitors are a dead end, technology speaking. I mean all major manufacturers stop production a few years ago, but of course I can be wrong
You are right. I only see LCD and LED TVs in the stores nowadays.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”