Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game editor problems revisited.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Game editor problems revisited. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game editor problems revisited. - 5/25/2017 12:52:34 PM   
m10bob

Hi folks...Maybe 4 years ago I started having problems with the fantastic editor.I posted my problem and got an immediate response which resolved all my problems.
Since then, I did not use the editor for a couple of years, and am now having the issues again.

I have the AE devs copy of the editor, but I feel I borked it somehow?
Symptoms: I can load different scenarios and make changes to them which will "save" within the editor, but they are NOT appearing in the game itself.

I have "saved" a new ship class to slot#2770, and new ships of that class to slots 12504 to 12515.. All are "saving" properly in the editor, but not transferring to the game itself...
(I am NOT trying to alter the original scenarios.)

I do not know if I am creating ships to "reserved" spaces in the editor, (which are otherwise blank in appearance", or another self-inflicted error.

Any help will be much appreciated...Bob

< Message edited by m10bob -- 5/25/2017 1:21:21 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/25/2017 7:36:03 PM   
BBfanboy

If you have already started the scenario and then make changes to it in the editor, some of the changes do not update in the game you have started. I know I can change some of the data for a base, like the SPS or industry and it will update, but other things I have tried to update simply did not. But when I started a new game using that scenario all the latest updates were there.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 2
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/26/2017 9:44:27 AM   
LargeSlowTarget

What BBfanboy said - some changes are taken into account in ongoing games, others require a restart.

New ships added require a restart to show-up. However, changing a ship type (e.g. DD to DMS) will be shown in ongoing games.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/26/2017 12:24:45 PM   
m10bob

I sure appreciate your responses..I will attempt this.
I have had a lot of experience with the editor in the past, and do not recall ever having this particular issue.
If I understand you correctly, I will start a new game, then save it to a slot...then will make the changes to that saved slot and expect to see those changes in continuation of the game.

I remember that if I do this with aircraft, it will not save the entry dates to the game screen, but ship entry dates will save......(It's been a while, and past problems led to my acquiring a copy of the devs copy of the editor from one of our mutual friends).

(in reply to LargeSlowTarget)
Post #: 4
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/26/2017 3:31:35 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

The editor works with the scenario files, not the save game files. The edited scenario files will be loaded each time you start a new game or a saved game. However, many changes will only become effective with new games, not with saved games. Only a few data fields of the scenario files will also update when loading a saved game.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 5
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/26/2017 6:01:23 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

I sure appreciate your responses..I will attempt this.
I have had a lot of experience with the editor in the past, and do not recall ever having this particular issue.
If I understand you correctly, I will start a new game, then save it to a slot...then will make the changes to that saved slot and expect to see those changes in continuation of the game.

I remember that if I do this with aircraft, it will not save the entry dates to the game screen, but ship entry dates will save......(It's been a while, and past problems led to my acquiring a copy of the devs copy of the editor from one of our mutual friends).

Also, remember that you cannot save over a scenario that came with the game, you have to choose a new scenario slot before you start the game.

A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

Saratoga's ultimate re-build:

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 6
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/26/2017 6:25:36 PM   
m10bob

Yes, I know not to save over the original scenarios, and have modded maybe ten scenarios in the past.

I have tried all possible combinations with the editor, (both stock editor and the devs copy), and while the added ship class and the added ships are saving in the editor itself, they simply are not showing up in any of the game scenarios!!!
Damnest thing??

As I understand it, some of the slots themselves are "reserved" and cannot be over-written, (even though the editor shows those slots "blank"...As I use blank slots, the editor itself IS saving them...but (if I understand it right), IF I am writing to slots which are SUPPOSED to be left blank, they will not be "readable" by the game..
This is why I quoted above the exact slots I am writing to...hoping one of *DEVS* might recognize this to be the case???

Appreciate any and all help...I know the current folks who are trying to help me already, and you all have fantastic reputations...Surely one of us can figure this out, LOL?

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 7
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/26/2017 7:26:49 PM   
Ol_Dog

You cannnot "start", and make changes. Make changes to the scen., then start the game.

Common Sense is an uncommon virtue.
If you think you have everything under control, you don't fully understand the situation.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 8
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/26/2017 11:03:53 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ol_Dog

You cannnot "start", and make changes. Make changes to the scen., then start the game.

Right - when I said start a game, I didn't mean a saved game but the first turn of whatever scenario you have modded. A little confusion by my use of "start the game", I think. Sorry about that.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Ol_Dog)
Post #: 9
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/26/2017 11:35:22 PM   
witpqs

There are some changes that do take effect mid-game. Don't have them on-hand, but a search might turn them up.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/27/2017 2:27:41 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

There are some changes that do take effect mid-game. Don't have them on-hand, but a search might turn them up.

In the past, I had been able to create new classes and the ships themselves...and anytime I started a new game using that particular "save", the new items would show up on turn one, as if they had been stock in the game..
Since you have helped me several times before, (I have a long memory), you must be a glutton for punishment?.(lol)..

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 11
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/27/2017 3:39:30 PM   
witpqs

I don't have a list (maybe someone else does??), but the long and short of it is that some changes get picked up and some don't. Just look and see if the changes you are interested in have taken hold.

A couple of other notes, you will see a message about new scenario data when the game recognizes that one or more of the files have changed. Also, IIRC slots 1 through 25 are the ones that cannot be changed (the editor will not let you save to those slots).

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 12
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/27/2017 3:41:28 PM   
witpqs

Oh, also there are some changes that need more work in the editor. I am not one of the heavy editor users around here, so someone else could comment more helpfully, but some things get changed and then need another button to be pushed to propagate those changes out to individual ships/upgrades/squadrons/whatever.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 13
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/27/2017 4:34:24 PM   
m10bob

Thank you..

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/28/2017 12:20:18 AM   
Admiral DadMan

I can tell you this:

Scenario slots 1-25 are reserved, so you would have to save in slot 26 or higher.

Once you've started a game (scenario 26 or higher), you cannot edit the save game file itself, but you can edit some slots in the scenario files that will carry over into the game.

Things I know about editing scenario files of a game in progress:
-Anything added to any blank slot in any tab will not update in an ongoing game.
-Anything copied and pasted to a blank slot in any tab will not update in an ongoing game.
-Anything changed in the "Ships" "Leaders", or "Task Forces" tab will not update in an ongoing game

Not Confirmed:
-Anything added to the "Pilots" tab, nor can any slot's information be changed in the "Pilots" tab will not update in an ongoing game.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 15
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/28/2017 1:28:27 PM   
m10bob

I am missing a button, or my memory has failed me..
In past when I made edits, I was able to copy an entire scenario and paste it to slot 30(for example), but when I have scenario one open (for example), I do not see a button to copy/paste to another slot???
I might figure this out before I get a response from the wizards of the room, but am throwing this out anyway.

We certainly learn from each other.

Post #: 16
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/28/2017 5:20:10 PM   
Admiral DadMan

"File" then "Save As" then choose the new scenario slot.

quote:

In past when I made edits, I was able to copy an entire scenario and paste it to slot 30(for example), but when I have scenario one open (for example), I do not see a button to copy/paste to another slot???
I might figure this out before I get a response from the wizards of the room, but am throwing this out anyway.

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 17
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/28/2017 7:57:52 PM   
m10bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

"File" then "Save As" then choose the new scenario slot.

quote:

Thank you!!!..Will try that!

Post #: 18
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/29/2017 12:55:39 PM   
m10bob

Okay...Let me backtrack a bit...I have a LOT of experience with the "Team Editor", and yes, I have been opening the FILE, making my ship class additions and then my ships for that class..I save all changes via BOTH the "save" command, and the "save as" command..

I did those many past edits in the past when I still had windows 7..
WITP AE works fine under win10 but for me, I had to add switches, and I suspect including those switches may be causing me the problems?

My game address is showing as "C:\RHS\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -altFont -archive -deepColor -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw

In the PROPERTIES screen for the desktop shortcut for the game, the adress is as shown above, but the "start in" address is "C:\RHS\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition"

You can see I am opening the game via RHS, and it looks funny to see the title of the game showing twice, "WITP Admiral's Edition", but if I try to lop off oneof them to avoid repetition, it gives error message as invalid.

I did try to open it without the switches altogether but the edits still did not show in the Scenario selection screen???

< Message edited by m10bob -- 5/29/2017 1:11:31 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 19
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/29/2017 2:12:59 PM   
Admiral DadMan

The switches have nothing to do with what is going on. Switches affect the WitP:AE program enabling it to run more effectively Win7 and above, and are not used for the WitP:AE EDITOR.

If you start a game using a pre-made scenario (1-25), you cannot make any edits that will affect the game in progress.

If you take a pre-made scenario (1-25), edit it, then save that scenario in a higher slot (26-200), then start a game with one of those scenarios, you can make SOME edits to the scenario (as I outlined above) that will show up in the game.

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 5/29/2017 2:15:32 PM >

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 20
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/29/2017 5:05:19 PM   
m10bob

quote:

The switches have nothing to do with what is going on. Switches affect the WitP:AE program enabling it to run more effectively Win7 and above, and are not used for the WitP:AE EDITOR.

If you start a game using a pre-made scenario (1-25), you cannot make any edits that will affect the game in progress.

If you take a pre-made scenario (1-25), edit it, then save that scenario in a higher slot (26-200), then start a game with one of those scenarios, you can make SOME edits to the scenario (as I outlined above) that will show up in the game.

I found the problem and as I had hoped...the error was mine,(lol)..
RHS uses a separate folder of its' own and will not corrupt the matrixgames folder..When I installed the editor itself, I did not give it the correct TARGET address, so while it was showing the "saves" within the editor, it was not putting them into the game itself!!!.

As you stated, (and as I have learned)...the switches had nothing to do with it..

All works as designed again and I am a happy camper...

Post #: 21
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/29/2017 5:21:16 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

RHS uses a separate folder of its' own and will not corrupt the matrixgames folder..When I installed the editor itself, I did not give it the correct TARGET address, so while it was showing the "saves" within the editor, it was not putting them into the game itself!!!.

As you stated, (and as I have learned)...the switches had nothing to do with it..

Good to see that you're up and running.

The funny thing is that part of my last answer was to check to make sure that you had the correct path in the editor of C:\RHS\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\SCEN, but somehow I cropped that part of the answer out...

(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 22
RE: Game editor problems revisited. - 5/30/2017 3:03:23 PM   
m10bob

quote:

quote:

Good to see that you're up and running.

The funny thing is that part of my last answer was to check to make sure that you had the correct path in the editor of C:\RHS\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\SCEN, but somehow I cropped that part of the answer out...

Great minds think alike, LOL

Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Game editor problems revisited. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI