Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

GC Soviet builds and their costs and more questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> GC Soviet builds and their costs and more questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
GC Soviet builds and their costs and more questions - 5/22/2017 8:07:34 PM   
Searry

I'm new to the game and after some research and hours of play I'm now at the third turn of the Soviet campaign and I noticed building a new Rifle Division takes 40 admin points. Why is the cost so massive? I don't have that big of an army after the 1st turn massacre and pockets around Lvov. Does the cost gradually go down?

Please tell me what to build generally. I've given most fronts sappers and such so the troops start digging in. Though I'm not sure how that works as I can't see the sappers on the map. Do I have to park the HQ on top of the hex I want to dig into?
Post #: 1
RE: GC Soviet builds and their costs and more questions - 5/22/2017 8:10:56 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Your are in the 1941 GC right? You get allot of reinforcements, more than you have stuff to fill them, don't build units except support units until blizzard or later. Building on map units becomes cheaper around the blizzard.
Press i and you will see the massive amount of reinforcements you will get. Destroyed units will return so the list grows even more as the game goes on.
I am not experienced myself but I like building many sapper regiments (not bataillons) as they help digging, help in combat, help reducing enemy fortifications and can later be attached to cavalry/tank/rifle corps. You start with enough artillery support units for the first turn.
I can't give advice on late war support units though.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 5/22/2017 8:13:15 PM >

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 2
RE: GC Soviet builds and their costs and more questions - 5/22/2017 9:08:56 PM   
Searry

Thanks a lot! So the sappers automatically dig for divisions even if they are in HQs? I am in the '41 GC yes.

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 3
RE: GC Soviet builds and their costs and more questions - 5/22/2017 9:35:11 PM   
timmyab

I make sure each combat HQ has at least one sapper regiment. Each unit attached to that HQ gets the benifit. No need to park the HQ anywhere, just keep it in range. I also have at least one howitzer and one artillery regiment in each HQ plus an AA regiment. That's the basic, elite army and tank HQs have more SUs.
When forming corps I give them at least one sapper regiment each. In addition tank and cavalry corps get a seperate tank regiment plus a motorcycle or su regiment. Guarde rifle corps usually get a heavy tank regiment and an su regiment.
Some people build nothing but sapper regiments. It's probably the best bang for the buck but not my style. I still have to build a lot of sappers though.

Cost to build divisions comes down to 10 ap at some point in 1942 I think.

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 4
RE: GC Soviet builds and their costs and more questions - 5/23/2017 10:16:05 AM   
Searry

Thank you timmyab! Very useful.

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 5
RE: GC Soviet builds and their costs and more questions - 5/24/2017 5:47:24 AM   
johntoml56

If you are new to the game then consider creating at least one of each support unit to see how useful (or not) they are. Also check your production and see how many extras you have in the pool. For example I think the Soviet 122mm? ends up in large quantities in the pool as it is stripped out of various units by TOE changes. A Howitzer? support unit uses these so I create some more of them.

Keep an eye on your manpower and armaments points totals and at the start of the game reduce the max toe down, especially for those units you know you are going to loose eg AA attached to cities.

Otherwise sappers....

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> GC Soviet builds and their costs and more questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI