Artillery Accuracy Test

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

UP844

Artillery Accuracy Test

Post by UP844 »

Before awarding the "Most Useless Piece of Junk Award" to Radios, I set up a test scenario: the Germans have a C leader with a radio and a 70mm OBA module, and the Russians have two A*** leaders playing target in a trench (the roads and grain fields mark the 3/6/9-hex range to measure scatter). The scenario was played without C&C to avoid wasting time when the leader becomes OOC.

I attempted calling the OBA module 50 times (I will extend the number to 100 over the next days to minimise deviations, but these tests are incredibly boring, even though they are useful to assess the capabilities of the various pieces of hardware).

I managed to make contact 39 times (78%) out of 50 attempts.

Out of 39 contacts, I had battery access 29 times (74.4%), missed battery access 6 times (15.4%) and permanently lost the OBA 4 times (10.3%).

Out of 29 barrages, 6 (20.7) fell right into the intended target hex, 3 (10.3%) scattered 1 hex and still hit the target hex and the remaining 23 (69%) scattered from 2 to 9 hexes away from the intended target hex.

Putting all these numbers in a single table, this is the effectiveness data I obtained:

18,0% contact, Hit or 1-hex scatter
40,0% contact, 2+ hex scatter
12,0% contact, no access
8,0% contact, no access and lost OBA
22,0% no contact

I do not know if some ASL features have been implemented, namely:
> better contact chance for Americans, worse for Russians
> better battery access for mortars
> reduced accuracy for Russians and rockets

I am afraid discovering this will require other endless fire tests [:(]

In the end, I think I will assign the award, even though I will make some extra tests to see if something changes.

In my opinion the (scarce) effectiveness of OBA is not worth dedicating a leader to the FO role: the chances to hit something are quite low (and become even lower when C&C is used); if OBA goes far away from the target, you will have to wait a full turn before you can retry and, finally, friendly forces risk being hit by friendly OBA unless they remain so far away to be unable to exploit any damage inflicted by OBA

Attachments
Arty_Accuracy_Test.jpg
Arty_Accuracy_Test.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 78 times
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
jtcourtne

RE: Artillery Accuracy Test

Post by jtcourtne »

Fair enough, but when artillery is called in successfully, it can have a devastating effect and turn an entire game -- which I have found out to my chagrin.
Peter Fisla

RE: Artillery Accuracy Test

Post by Peter Fisla »

ORIGINAL: jcourtney

Fair enough, but when artillery is called in successfully, it can have a devastating effect and turn an entire game -- which I have found out to my chagrin.

Correct, the OBA can be potentially a major factor in a scenario and seriously influence the outcome. The design of OBA functionality in the game was inspired by ASL.

Return to “Tech Support”