Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mostly OT - WW1 podcast "Blueprint for Armageddon"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Mostly OT - WW1 podcast "Blueprint for Armageddon" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mostly OT - WW1 podcast "Blueprint for Armageddon&... - 5/12/2017 3:50:13 PM   
Lokasenna

I've been listening to this series for the past month or so, and am just about finished. I have perhaps a half-hour left of the last episode. This is not a quick series - the average episode length is just short of 4 hours (23h 4m in total); it's called "Hardcore History" for a reason. All 6 episodes are free to download - the Blueprint for Armageddon series.

http://www.dancarlin.com/hardcore-history-series/

I highly recommend for anyone interested in learning all the ins and outs of the first world war. It mostly focuses on the Western Front, but bounces around to Russia, Turkey, and other places at times as significant events occur in those places. I always had a general idea of WW1 (that it was a lot of stalemate, really horrific trench warfare and no-man's land with poisonous shell holes-turned-drowning pools, Verdun, mustard gas, etc.), but after listening to this I feel like I have a much greater appreciation for what happened year to year and why things happened... and how horrific a lot of it was, even above and beyond a lot of WW2 stuff that I've learned about.

The guy is also great at incorporating quotes from primary sources, and his narration style is easy to listen to. After listening to these 24 hours of free content, I am thinking I may purchase a few of his other episodes.

For WW2 Eastern Front folks, or those interested in learning, he does have a 4-part series on it (Ghosts of the Ostfront) that was rated the 5th-best podcast ever (according to Slate magazine).
Post #: 1
RE: Mostly OT - WW1 podcast "Blueprint for Armaged... - 5/12/2017 4:01:28 PM   
chemkid

< Message edited by chemkid -- 4/25/2018 10:51:56 AM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 2
RE: Mostly OT - WW1 podcast "Blueprint for Armaged... - 5/13/2017 1:50:50 AM   
JeffroK

Very Interesting!!!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 3
RE: Mostly OT - WW1 podcast "Blueprint for Armaged... - 11/12/2018 8:41:14 PM   
Lokasenna

This past weekend being the 100th anniversary of Armistice Day, I feel it's appropriate to bump this topic. I'll be starting a re-listen to these tonight, which I expect will take me a month to finish again, because I'm sure I missed a lot of bits on the first go-round.

As a bonus, here's a YouTube video that provides some visualization of the sobering casualty numbers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdxbV6BObEQ

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 4
RE: Mostly OT - WW1 podcast "Blueprint for Armaged... - 11/13/2018 1:57:48 AM   
spence

The YouTube video starts off with a couple of film clips from Ypres(Ieper). The city was in a salient during WWI. My wife and I visited there in 2014. Much of the city has rebuilt brick by brick to look much like it did in 1914 (the clips show it somewhat the worse for the wear).

The very first clip shows some supplies moving along the Menin Road near Ypres. After the war the British built a humongous arch called the Menin Gate. It was originally intended that the names of all the missing in action be memorialized by having their names inscribed thereon. Although the structure is very large and imposing the British ran out of space to inscribe all of the names of those who were MIA after April 1917 (the others got their names inscribed on walls at the Tyne Cot Cemetery).

If anyone is interested the Belgians have, every night since 1928 (excepting a few years in the early 40s for some reason), presented a little ceremony at 8 PM honoring the British who defended the city in WWI by playing "The Last Post" (the UK equivalent to the US: "Taps"). It is a moving ceremony and is worth attending if you're nearby.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 5
RE: Mostly OT - WW1 podcast "Blueprint for Armaged... - 11/13/2018 5:38:14 AM   
warspite1

Re the Menin Gate, we visited there back in 2015. My little warspites play in a local orchestra and the orchestra auditioned for, and were accepted, to play at one of the ceremonies. Here is a thread on it for anyone interested. And yes, I agree with the sentiment above, it is a very moving ceremony and worth going to as part of a battlefield or similar tour.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3866913&mpage=1&

Here is a link to the service
http://www.greatwar.co.uk/events/menin-gate-last-post-ceremony.htm

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/13/2018 5:40:42 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 6
RE: Mostly OT - WW1 podcast "Blueprint for Armaged... - 11/14/2018 12:27:38 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

The YouTube video starts off with a couple of film clips from Ypres(Ieper). The city was in a salient during WWI. My wife and I visited there in 2014. Much of the city has rebuilt brick by brick to look much like it did in 1914 (the clips show it somewhat the worse for the wear).

The very first clip shows some supplies moving along the Menin Road near Ypres. After the war the British built a humongous arch called the Menin Gate. It was originally intended that the names of all the missing in action be memorialized by having their names inscribed thereon. Although the structure is very large and imposing the British ran out of space to inscribe all of the names of those who were MIA after April 1917 (the others got their names inscribed on walls at the Tyne Cot Cemetery).

If anyone is interested the Belgians have, every night since 1928 (excepting a few years in the early 40s for some reason), presented a little ceremony at 8 PM honoring the British who defended the city in WWI by playing "The Last Post" (the UK equivalent to the US: "Taps"). It is a moving ceremony and is worth attending if you're nearby.

Thanks for the info. One day I might get over there to visit, paying particular attention to the WW1 battlefields in terms of the war memorials I visit. I'll have to check that out.

Assuming the ocean hasn't taken over by then, of course.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Mostly OT - WW1 podcast "Blueprint for Armageddon" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI