Luftwaffe Field Division

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Duck1970

Luftwaffe Field Division

Post by Duck1970 »

How do people use the Luftwaffe Field Divisions? I am getting spammed-6 divisions of lower strength troops so far plus an HQ of the same name. I am winter 1943 in 41-45 campaign. Do I put them at the front? Do I use them as garrison? Can I merge them? Thank you for any help.

No idea

RE: Luftwaffe Field Division

Post by No idea »

They are good as garrison. Remember that you allies cant go beyond the brest litovsk line. You need a good number of crappy germen units as garrison. SEC german units you get arent enough once you have taken Leningrad and Moscow.
swkuh

Post by swkuh »

vs AI games:

Luftwaffe divisions are useful in quiet sectors; do stacks of 3 and reserves all Luftwaffe. Allow corps HQs useful amounts arty/aa etc. These are not attack formations.

BTW, in re garrisons, now using minimal garrisons (50%) and not seeing bad results.

Think if the German has Lenin's & Stalin's grads (or, Moscow) he's doing pretty good.
Duck1970

Post by Duck1970 »

OK thanks for the reply's. It is Feb. 43 and I have taken Leningrad and Moscow vs. AI on Medium difficulty. I cant crack Sebastopol so I dont know if I should risk taking Stalingrad with Crimea bottle neck. Sounds like the LFDs are going to garrison Moscow to free up the armor that is hibernating there.

Denniss

Post by Denniss »

2-3 of them start with decent experience, the others are just mediocre. AFAIR they'll later get an OB upgrade that makes them a tad stronger in heavy weapons.
Instead of repeating history, wasting the poorly trained men in heavy offensive actions where many did poorly, use them as rear guard or disband them (except those with better exp)
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

But there should be a LW pool they disband to. I use them quite a lot ( AGN in the woods is good) stacked with other units they do ok - Now in April 43.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”