PBEM 1939 balanced?

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.
PvtBenjamin

PBEM 1939 balanced?

Post by PvtBenjamin »

I've played all prior versions of SC extensively but am new to this version. Well except assault on democracy which was so slow I couldn't play it. I've played the allies in a few PBEM 1939 games and my experience is the game is very slanted toward Axis. A couple of my opponents have told me the same. The placement of the Russian reinforcements on invasion was especially irritating. It also seems and experienced player will quickly take Africa. What am I missing?
vonik

RE: PBEM 1939 balanced?

Post by vonik »

You are missing that UK is quite difficult to invade if it doesn't happen via Sealion .
But yes, Africa is always lost cause for the Allies .
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

looks like Russia is a lost cause also no? All reinforcement wiped out in 2 turns because of positioning.
Guderian1940

Post by Guderian1940 »

I have not figured out how to save Russia yet. H vs H. If Moscow does not fall by 41 it does in 42 as well as Leningrad usually. The only time you have a chance is during winter. When it clears up they just keep going. Played a lot of different strategies.

I find that the supply is not represented well. Especially op movement during the first year! The Russian rail gauge was different from the Germans. The would have captures some Russian rolling stock but the supplies/troops would still need to be transferred at the border. it was a major logistical handicap. As the Germans if you want to re position your forces it is too easy by op movement.

I also think the experience gain levels are set too high. Should be a little longer to gain experience.

That being said whatever is done to slow the Germans could substantially reduce any chance of defeating the Allies. When the US comes in it is a different ball game. I can see the difficulty in trying to keep both sides interested in continuing if it looks like you are done. Few will play till the last man I guess.

It is demoralizing as a player to lose Moscow and Leningrad with very little chance of stopping the Germans. Whatever line you put up it just disappears. Very frustrating.

Same with North Africa. Whatever tech level or force you put up you lose.

The only chance you have is mistakes made by your opponent. The German has a lot more room for mistakes than the Allies.
PvtBenjamin

Post by PvtBenjamin »

Thats very helpful, thank you. Im just looking for a good game. Seems Warsaw => Paris & Africa should be a little tougher for Axis. Re positioning USSR troops would help also. Maybe change V conditions like old SC.
Giob1148

Post by Giob1148 »

You are right.Too much simple to invade and Attack UK during 1940.
Giob1148

Post by Giob1148 »

You are right on previous versions about Axis and UK Invasion too.

Return to “Multiplayer (PBEM and head to head)”