Advanced JASSM vs Tomahawk E

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

kevinkins

Advanced JASSM vs Tomahawk E

Post by kevinkins »

What's the best state of the art standoff weapon deployed today? Consider Cost/accuracy/number available and blast effect ?? We know the Tomahawk works ... No nukes ..

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
mikmykWS

RE: Advanced JASSM vs Tomahawk E

Post by mikmykWS »

JASSM-ER

Mike
CCIP-subsim

Post by CCIP-subsim »

Well, I'm not sure it's a totally fair comparison considering their platforms don't overlap - last I checked, ships don't fly over land and fighter-bombers don't have VLS systems with dozens of missiles a pop... and they usually don't float in water very well, either [:D] I think any comparison has to be taken with a grain of salt, because the platforms make a huge difference in the way these weapons are meant be deployed, so it's never a level playing field between the two.

That said, my preference would be the JASSM... assuming it works as intended [;)]
ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

I'd say it's a toss up:
JASSM-ER - LO, a lot of standoff and given that it's been in production for several years, there's likely quite an inventory built up.
Kh-101 - LO, even more standoff. Given how many the RFAF has used in Syria, I wouldn't be surprised if their inventory is quite depleted.
Dan109

Post by Dan109 »

Depending on the IADS, JDAM-ER with an increased range of 45mi is a great bang for the buck, costing only $25k vs +$1M. F-35s and Raptors should be able to drop those at will.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”