Command HQ and national borders

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Yaab

Command HQ and national borders

Post by Yaab »

India HQ is a command HQ with range 9 (18 hexes for giving combat bonus). I can move it from Dehli to Chittagong. There, I can prep the HQ for Moulmein in Burma or any other likely battleground in Burma like Rangoon or Lashio. Is it gamey or legit? Mind you, when Burma falls and Japs want to try to invade Chine via Burma, the HQ can be moved to Ledo and prep for Paoshan, China. Basically, the combat bonus can be given across national borders. Seems a bit like an exploit.
GetAssista

RE: Command HQ and national borders

Post by GetAssista »

Do you also refrain from using restricted airgroups over other countries' territory?
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Good catch. Many times it is a non-issue (USA, Australia etc), but India-restricted units bombing bases in Burma is feasible. I would use them because they are not game-breaking. But what would you say to Soviet command HQs prepping for bases in Northern China? A Jap player would have no feedback if a foreign HQ planned for defence of a base in another country.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

In my view perfect coordination and bonuses between units of different Allied countries has far more grounds for being called "gamey" compared to propagating influence (bonuses, bombing, LRCAP etc) over borders. But the game is designed that way. Cases of possible restricted Command HQs usage are so few anyway, India->Burma effectively is the only one. PP price is there to not allow overcommitment of assault stuff at the expense of national protection. I do not think that command and coordination (CHQ bonus) would fall into this category

Soviet HQs are static before activation and do not have the range to reach China from their starting positions. Can only help other allies roll over some Manchukuo bases in 45, but at that time does it reallly matter
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Thanks for the opinion.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Just like air assets if an HQ exerts its influence across the border of a nation its at war with I see no harm.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

Just like air assets if an HQ exerts its influence across the border of a nation its at war with I see no harm.

Me neither. Moving restricted units out of their restricted area is different with one small exception in that I restrict India units to the road network, some of which is in northern Burma.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”