Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Long live board gaming

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Long live board gaming Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Long live board gaming - 5/7/2003 12:13:14 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Just found a nice new site and felt it worthy of the membership to know.

http://games.harnforum.com/index.php?sid=d799069aa37421499b9e05db55f82445

Unsure how old this place is, but it is the forum for Columbia Games (that means board gaming mainly eh guys).

I am planning of course on telling them all about the fine games from Matrix, just as much as I am hoping my board game loving fellow forum mates will be happy to get decent info on Columbia Games items.

Looks like they have decided to go to online orders only (as opposed to selling on the shelf). Not a good thing for people that wish to sell wargames in stores. Maybe this is evidence, that the days of selling wargames on shelves has had its day.

I applaud Matrix being able to see titles make it to the shelf, but if it comes to pass it isn't worth it, then online will be the way to go I suppose.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.
Post #: 1
- 5/8/2003 1:23:28 AM   
SLAAKMAN

I agree wholeheartedly Sarge. Long Live Boardgaming. Observe the glory of War In Europe that I just acquired;

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 2
- 5/8/2003 3:41:05 AM   
Veldor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SLAAKMAN
[B]I agree wholeheartedly Sarge. Long Live Boardgaming. Observe the glory of War In Europe that I just acquired; [/B][/QUOTE]

Where exactly do you keep games like this setup for weeks or months at a time? Doesn't exactly fit on a tabletop and either way I'm guessing you don't have dogs, cats, or really any pets.

Pets are the true enemies of board wargaming....

Post #: 3
- 5/8/2003 3:56:28 AM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Veldor
[B]Pets are the true enemies of board wargaming.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Raise the immersion factor and put barbedwire around it ;)

Post #: 4
- 5/8/2003 4:22:39 AM   
SLAAKMAN

"Where exactly do you keep games like this setup for weeks or months at a time? Doesn't exactly fit on a tabletop and either way I'm guessing you don't have dogs, cats, or really any pets."

Thats what friends with "Gamerooms" are for. I have a host of slaaker friends sponging off their parents and living rent free with large garages adjacent to the house. Perfect for map deployment.
Also intruding pets are bribed with food to stay outside. Takes a little work but effective.

Post #: 5
- 5/8/2003 4:25:56 AM   
U2

[Pets are the true enemies of board wargaming.... [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey I thought it was girlfriends or wifes :D

Post #: 6
- 5/8/2003 4:44:39 AM   
JJKettunen

[QUOTE]Originally posted by U2
[B]Hey I thought it was girlfriends or wifes :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Aren't they pets then? :confused:

:D

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

Post #: 7
- 5/8/2003 4:47:35 AM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Keke
[B]Aren't they pets then? :confused:

:D [/B][/QUOTE]

:D

Post #: 8
- 5/8/2003 12:19:30 PM   
Veldor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SLAAKMAN
[B]... garages adjacent to the house. Perfect for map deployment.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I might be a bit of a nut, but I actually use the garage to park my cars in while leaving a perfectly good driveway empty.

So clearly the solution would be to put all that flat open driveway space to better use...

..And setup some large board wargames on it.... :)

Post #: 9
- 5/8/2003 5:44:58 PM   
Raverdave

*sigh!*

I had hoped that the advent of computers would have stamped out this strange breed of people with their dirty little habits like insisting on using cardboard counters, but hey, what would I know, I still smoke cigarettes:rolleyes: :p

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 10
- 5/8/2003 7:23:59 PM   
Mac_MatrixForum

When a foldable light few meter wide flat print quality touchscreen with backlight and haptic feedback is common at every summerhouse I will agree that boardgames are dead ;).

Btw. War In Europe looks good but is it good? Out of print?

Btw. Harn forums are for ... Harn. Long live Harn.

Markku "Macroz" Rontu
"Understanding is a three-edged sword, your side, their side and the truth." - Captain John J. Sheridan, Babylon 5

Post #: 11
- 5/8/2003 7:33:31 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

For those that have not looked, the Harn link leads to a really nicely developed forum with much to offer, much as the Third Reich forum in the other recent thread leads to a great multi topic friendly forum.

When a computer can do everything that a board game can do, I like the idea of the large screen, then it is perhaps true they might be a decent replacement for board games.

But then all you will have done, is design a different kind of board. Currently I don't really care for the less expensive map sheets over map boards. They never sit flat enough for my liking.

I think computer supremists are personally an odd breed or person too hehe :)

Post #: 12
- 5/8/2003 10:06:53 PM   
Kanon Fodder

[B]Where exactly do you keep games like this setup for weeks or months at a time? Doesn't exactly fit on a tabletop and either way I'm guessing you don't have dogs, cats, or really any pets.

Pets are the true enemies of board wargaming.... [/B][/QUOTE]

A friend of mine solved this problem years ago (when we were playing massive games like Terrible Swift Sword that took weeks (if not months) to play on a 4 x 8 table.

He made a wooden cover about 4" high that he could place on top of the table when real life had to interrupt our gaming.

His wife had two cats.

Need I say more ?

;)

Post #: 13
- 5/8/2003 10:37:03 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Hmm so I am not the only one to make a covered game table, glad I am not alone.

Post #: 14
- 5/9/2003 1:40:40 AM   
Jim1954

I used to do the "buy an unmounted mapsheet and some 1/2" wide magnetic tape" thing. Tape it on a thin piece of metal and hang it up on the wall. At least when you could still find unmounted mapsheets. Stacking over 3 high became a problem, but at least the pets left it alone. Made a nice picture on the wall, too.

:)

Jim1954
KMC/T

Post #: 15
- 5/9/2003 2:49:04 AM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Yep been there Jim, you should see my nice set of Longest Day counters designed for a cork board backing bord set up. The board was made of disposable photocopied mapsheets.

Post #: 16
- 5/9/2003 7:11:03 PM   
AlvinS

My maps for The Great Campaigns of the American Civil War fit nicely into 24" x 36" poster frames. They keep the maps in good shape, and I can hang them when not in use. I have cats, but fortunately I have a basement to keep games set up for the longer campaigns. I like the Idea of a covered table, so maybe I will have to make one. I am also into model railroads, and built a cover to keep the cats off of the layout.

Ah the things we do for our hobbies.

:cool:

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." ---Mark Twain

Naval Warfare Simulations

AlvinS

Post #: 17
- 5/10/2003 9:48:01 PM   
brucertx

Board games? Gee, got a couple of crates of them taking up space in the bowels of a closet!
LOL
Bruce

I may live in Texas, but I'm a True Blue Wolverine. Go Blue!

Post #: 18
- 5/10/2003 10:12:36 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Board games are like Real Estate, its always better to have more, and selling them is almost always dumb, giving them away purely insane.

Name me one computer game from pre 1990 you enjoy playing "successfully" on your "new" computer system running the latest software that can stand toe to toe with a good board game.

You might be able to think of a couple of stray titles.

But I will counter that with "every single one of my board games will function every bit as well as they did the day I got them".

Yes some of my monster board games are space demanding, but I knew that the day I bought them too. And finding space is always about priorities. If you want something enough, it happens.

Complaining about cats and wives always makes me chuckle though. Anyone that lets a cat co exist with a set up board game with no precautions in mind is not much of a strategist.

Post #: 19
- 5/11/2003 8:59:08 AM   
Platoonist

*sigh* Sometimes I feel sorry for all my old board wargames banished as they are to a rented storage unit.

BTW I found the best solution for the dreaded mapsheets was a big 22 x 22" piece of plexiglass I found at a hardware store. Just slip the map and any game charts or CRTs under it and let the counters ride on top. Sure beat mounting the things on matt board as you could fold them back up and put them away.

Post #: 20
- 5/11/2003 9:36:09 AM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Platoonist
[BBTW I found the best solution for the dreaded mapsheets was a big 22 x 22" piece of plexiglass I found at a hardware store. Just slip the map and any game charts or CRTs under it and let the counters ride on top. Sure beat mounting the things on matt board as you could fold them back up and put them away. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yep. Absolutely the best solution for the "trampoline effect."

Hey, you guys, don't bemoan the fate of those games. Just browse through eBay on their board wargames pages. Many of your dusty old possessions are turning into collectors' items.

For example:
-AH 1914, unpunched, $78.
-AH The Longest Day, unpunched, $287.75.
-SPI Wacht am Rhein, punched, $191.50.
-SPI War in the Pacific, unpunched, $610.
-AH Titan, unpunched, $134.68.

They're worth more unpunched and in the original shrinkwrap (if they came that way), but you can still make some pretty serious change. I guarantee you that I'm hanging onto my shrinkwrapped AH Empire of the Rising Sun that I bought at a game store going out of business for $ 30. A copy in the same condition recently went on eBay for $175.

Of course, some of 'em would be like selling your kids (but my kids were never worth much anyway).

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 21
- 5/11/2003 12:01:42 PM   
Platoonist

-AH The Longest Day, unpunched, $287.75.

Agghh! Now I'll never forgive myself for punching that set of spare Allied and German Longest Day countersheets I purchased back in 1991.

I think the only virgin unpunched game I still own is AH's Siege of Jerusalem. Just never found time to play it...even soltaire.

It's funny...now that I recall I think I ended up using that piece of plexigass even over my mounted mapboards. It just made a ideal flat surface even for those.

Post #: 22
- 5/11/2003 8:40:16 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

I have a friend that owns a card comic collectible store. He has a whole closet of action figures never once removed from the original packaging too.

To wierd for me.

I mean, yes, I am glad that someone would value The Longest Day unpunched in original wrap at that much money, but hmmm, if a game is worth anything at all, then it has at least been played.

I would not bitch about getting my friends copy of Fire in the East off of him for more than he paid for it $99.00 Canadian, simply because I know what the game involves, and the fact it is not unpunched and in original wrap means zero to me. If all the pieces are there, and in decent shape, it is as good as if it was new in my opinion.

I have several games that are in next to new shape. And you can bet, you would be quite out of luck getting them for less than full price out of me.

I had several WW3 Nato vs Warsaw Pact type wargames. I sold them for 5 bucks each to a used book store back about 1990. But then, the wall fell, the Pact collapsed, and communism (Russian) died. The games were suddenly about a time period of tension concerning a war that never happened. Frankly I can only take some what ifs so seriously.

But you will never get me turfing a WW2 design unless the actual game was actually crummy.

Post #: 23
- 5/12/2003 2:33:38 AM   
SLAAKMAN

Re; MAPS ON THE WALL- Ive used that technique to great effect myself Jim. Only problem was stacking magnets so we would just use one and write the others on a seperate sheet. A little tedious but thats part of the fun!:D

Post #: 24
- 5/12/2003 6:14:11 AM   
CCB

[COLOR=RED]AH MY DEAR SLAAK!! DOWNLOAD VASSAL AND THE PB-PL (THATS AVALON HILL'S PANZERBLITZ AND PANZER LEADER BOOKCASE GAMES FOR YOU UNLEARNED BARBARIANS!) AND MEET ME ON THE FIELD OF HONOR!! :mad: :mad: :mad: [/COLOR]

http://www.vassalengine.org/

Post #: 25
- 5/12/2003 6:15:58 AM   
CCB

I'm going to leave my Avalanche Press Panzer Grenadier games unpunched and instead make Vassal modes and play them on the PC. :p

Post #: 26
WELCOME TO MY COBWEB...... - 5/12/2003 6:30:23 AM   
SLAAKMAN

CCB WANTS A PIECE O' ME?? BRING IT!!!:D

Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Long live board gaming Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI