Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Novice help with contact behaviour

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Novice help with contact behaviour Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Novice help with contact behaviour - 5/3/2017 6:47:53 AM   
phoenix

Back to try this after a looong break - it's like learning it anew. So, I've two questions, if anyone can help:
Playing Rhino as Allies, I order the Brits to a town with screen orders at end. Tanks and APCs. Off they go. Half way there I count perhaps 12 hinds hovering around the destination, mid resolution phase, and the single AD asset I have (also heading for that town) starts shooting off SAMs. Has some success, but as the turn progresses it's clear there will be still 6 to 8 Hinds left when that single AD unit has dried up. All my units continue regardless along their ordered route (they're all set to screen at end, all on hasty move), ignoring the situation when the Hinds start taking them out one by one. Finally, lead assets are only a few hexes from the destination and there are 6 Hinds picking them off plus soviet ground units, but still they just continue as ordered. So, these questions:
1. What can I do to make sure that instead of plowing on regardless my units stop on contact - especially significant contact like this - unload and seek cover? My APCs especially just drove straight on right beneath the Hinds and were all picked off at liesure, so that vehicle and human cargo were all destroyed. Shouldn't they have stopped on contact (with a hasty screen order) and taken defensive postures?
2. I have - in many scenarios, it seems - very little by way of early AD assets, yet there are Hinds etc swarming all over. What am I meant to do?

Cheers!

< Message edited by phoenix -- 5/3/2017 6:48:50 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Novice help with contact behaviour - 5/3/2017 10:27:56 AM   
highlandcharge

Hi there Pheonix..

Regarding reaction to contact, I only send APCs into or through covered terrain if I know there might be a chance of bumping into any enemy units, also I try and use a deliberate move order because when moving with that order your units use any available cover en route to there waypoint and are a bit less likely to be caught in the open and wiped out...

Regarding AD assets, the British get tracked Rapiers, the Germans the Gepard and Stingers and the US the Vulcans, Chaparral and Stingers...So its not to bad, also the Cannons and 50cal MGs on your APCs and Humvees can shoot at and bring down Hinds...

Hope this helps you to enjoy the game

< Message edited by highlandcharge -- 5/3/2017 10:39:12 AM >

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 2
RE: Novice help with contact behaviour - 5/3/2017 10:48:25 AM   
phoenix

OK, thanks Highlandcharge. I'll try being more cautious. But, I guess that means there's no AI routine for how units react on contact? They don't do an assesment of the threat and change behaviour accordingly? They just follow the order you gave? I was hoping that the APCs might ID 6 Hinds, stop, unload and get into cover, or for there to be an order combination that allowed me to get them to behave like that? Or if a column of my tanks are going full speed down a road and run into a blocking armour force, that they would assess the threat, quickly, and if it was sufficient, abandon the order I gave (because the road is blocked) and get into beter defensive positions instead? There's none of that currently built into the AI routines - is that right? I wonder if it's planned for SS.

Cheers.

(in reply to highlandcharge)
Post #: 3
RE: Novice help with contact behaviour - 5/3/2017 12:26:33 PM   
Capn Darwin

Phoenix, from a hasty move the units should have dropped into a screen to fight when under fire. Do you have the save game file for the turn where your forces were engaged? I'd like to look at it. We are looking at adding better unit AI logic and more SOP inputs from the player to guide the AI in these cases. The assault order is the only order that should force a unit to drive on an objective under fire and losses. Even then units will stop or pull back if hammered.

Back from Origins. Refreshed. Looking forward to next year already!

Website under construction

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulation

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 4
RE: Novice help with contact behaviour - 5/3/2017 12:40:02 PM   
phoenix

No save, Capn, sorry - this was before I reinstalled - but I'll keep an eye out to see if I see anything similar. It may be that they just reacted later than I imagined was best. And I don't know how to check a unit's LOS to an airborne threat (same as to a ground threat?) so not sure if the units I wanted to stop and hide knew that other friendly units only a couple of hexes away were engaging Hinds and red recon units. The new features will be very welcome though (if you can define what SOP you want on contact, for example).

Thanks.

(in reply to Capn Darwin)
Post #: 5
RE: Novice help with contact behaviour - 5/4/2017 12:19:44 AM   
HeinzBaby

Through bitter experience I don't use 'Hasty' movement.

I may be wrong but I feel as if I suffered higher losses using this 'Road/convoy' move like ducks in a shooting gallery,
and when they do stop they go into Screen mode for more punishment..

I almost always use 'Assault' move, when these units stop they going to 'Hold' command. This command is the most aggressive of the 3 movement commands.
With my recce units I'll use the deliberate command so they Screen at the end of movement stacked with Armour or in concealing Urban/woods Terrain.
checkout p85 of the manual

Heia Safari

(in reply to phoenix)
Post #: 6
RE: Novice help with contact behaviour - 5/6/2017 1:43:46 AM   
Mad Russian

Interesting. I rarely use assault movement. I normally move my units with Deliberate Movement mode.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to HeinzBaby)
Post #: 7
RE: Novice help with contact behaviour - 5/6/2017 12:03:59 PM   
MikeJ19

Hi All,

Like Mad Russian, I rarely use assault movement. I think I have used hasty movement once - as the Germans when I was racing to get my reinforcements into place in Hamelin. The vast majority of the time I use Deliberate movement.

What I'm trying to get better out is planning out my movement to give me more flexibility and control over the units. This is very difficult - which is a real life issue too.

Have a good day,

Mike

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 8
RE: Novice help with contact behaviour - 5/12/2017 4:14:13 PM   
phoenix

Thanks.

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Novice help with contact behaviour Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI