Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Building TF for an AI Script

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Building TF for an AI Script Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Building TF for an AI Script - 5/2/2017 11:06:07 PM   
jmolyson

Does the AI always build its own TF, or can you build TFs in the Editor that the AI will use?

For example, I build a TF for an Attack Savo Surface Action Group (SAG) in the Editor. I prepare a script for a
Savo attack, essentially the IJN operation that sunk our 4 Allied cruisers at the beginning of the campaign.

Will the AI use the TF I built or will it build its own from scratch using the TF1 parameters?

Is there any way to connect the historical TF I built and the script I wrote?

Finally, is there a YOUTUBE video that might clarify this whole process?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe
Post #: 1
RE: Building TF for an AI Script - 5/3/2017 7:43:25 PM   
Dali101

TF in editor,,,

(in reply to jmolyson)
Post #: 2
RE: Building TF for an AI Script - 5/4/2017 2:03:17 AM   
jmolyson

So the AI will use the TF I built in the Editor if
I'm reading your reply correctly.

Thanks,

Joe

Joe

(in reply to Dali101)
Post #: 3
RE: Building TF for an AI Script - 5/4/2017 2:20:16 AM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: AYAAD

So the AI will use the TF I built in the Editor if
I'm reading your reply correctly.

Thanks,

Joe

There is a chance. I believe there are 12 main AI possibilities, each with their own TFs and plans. The AI chooses 1 at the start of the scenario and sticks with that. So it depends on which main AI you attach your TF to.

Iam just getting into AI modding and there are few threads about it. Look for threads with Andy Mac posting.

12... more or less depending on scenario example from SCEN folder "... aei001-15.dat, aei001-16.dat"

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 5/4/2017 2:52:03 AM >

(in reply to jmolyson)
Post #: 4
RE: Building TF for an AI Script - 5/4/2017 2:41:59 AM   
PaxMondo

If you mean TF=script, then yes.

The AI is a scripted event type of AI. It has the capacity for 1000 events to be scripted, and each event can be quite complex. An event can be instantaneous or it can last for a defined period of time. within that event can be air, land, and sea elements that can encompass a single base or a long sequence of bases (think Burma land campaign with +20 base targets invovled). Support units as well as attack units are part of this.

It takes a while to get the hang of it and Andy developed some 'specialty' scripts to do things like aggregate ships at a base or hold units in a position.

Since these are scripts, you have to first off imagine how players will play and then design scripts to counter that play. It's fairly easy in the early part of the scenario where options are limited. It gets harder as the time from start extends. Predicting what a player will be doing in 1944 from a 1941 start is tough. Even tougher is that you have to predict what forces you will have at that point in time. This is why the Ironman scenarios work so well.

Finally testing is the real bear. Devs have the advantage as they can 'start' a game from a save. we can't. so to test ai changes you have to 'play' all the way to that date to test. Testing scripts in 1945 for the GC can take days just for a few passes....

Andy is Da MAN!!!

Pax

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 5
RE: Building TF for an AI Script - 5/6/2017 1:01:05 AM   
jmolyson

Well I modified the stock Guadalcanal scenario from the game by extensively researching the actual orders of battle. I also
added some weapons not really well-defined in the stock game, like air-delivered depth bombs.

I play against the Japanese AI. What I'm trying to do now is add scripts for the major Japanese offensive events
like the Battle of Savo Island, the Ichiki Detachment attack, the Battle of the Eastern Solomons and the Battle
of Santa Cruz.

I think I have the methodology figured out except putting the historical hulls into the corresponding battles. I
have built all the Japanese TFs for the operations listed above with accurate component ships and have them appear
at the appropriate ports at the right time. I'm just wondering if the script will go ahead and use the TFs I built
or will it build its own.

Joe

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 6
RE: Building TF for an AI Script - 5/6/2017 5:42:44 AM   
PaxMondo

It follows the scripts .. it cannot 'build its own'.

Having said that, I don't recall being able to input specific ships, only choose TF types composed of ship types. YOu can input specific LCU's and air groups.

The manual then gives tables that detail what ships types and numbers it will try to collect for the TF.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 5/6/2017 5:44:25 AM >

Pax

(in reply to jmolyson)
Post #: 7
RE: Building TF for an AI Script - 5/7/2017 2:09:34 AM   
jmolyson

Thanks Pax.

It's strange to me that in this NAVAL wargame we can specify air groups and LCUs, but not
specific ships in a script.

Joe

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 8
RE: Building TF for an AI Script - 5/7/2017 3:19:57 AM   
jmolyson

How do you enter data in the PREVIOUS slot to sequence scripts?

Joe

(in reply to jmolyson)
Post #: 9
RE: Building TF for an AI Script - 5/7/2017 4:16:41 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: AYAAD

Thanks Pax.

It's strange to me that in this NAVAL wargame we can specify air groups and LCUs, but not
specific ships in a script.

LCU's and Airgroups can be rebuilt if destroyed. Ships cannot. Specifying ships would make the AI acripts too rigid, as it is, just ship types are very risky ...

Pax

(in reply to jmolyson)
Post #: 10
RE: Building TF for an AI Script - 5/7/2017 9:19:07 PM   
jmolyson

OK, I prepared a checklist for creating scripts. Comments and suggestions welcome.

Attachment (1)

Joe

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Building TF for an AI Script Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI