Will the game be moddable ?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
nukkxx5058

Will the game be moddable ?

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Can we expect the modders community to develop new maps, features, utilities, etc. ?
Thanks.
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
r6kunz

RE: Will the game be moddable ?

Post by r6kunz »

I think I can answer yes to most of your question.

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Cool then ! Good news :-)
Hope it will be on STEAM with a "Steam Workshop" as this is very convenient way to install mods.
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I do not quite understand what you are calling moddable. Are you already familiar with TOAW 3?

There is a scenario editor allowing to create new maps/scenarios that has proven to be the success of these game series.
You could also custom your own graphics per scenario.

I assume the same will be maintained for TOAW 4.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

No I'm not familiar with the franchise. I had TOAW #1 20 years ago but frankly, I don't remember it in details (just that I liked it).

By moddable I mean: possibility to create new units, new maps, whateveryou want in fact. A medieval wars mod for example... whatever. Some games (e.g. paradox EU4) have this flexibility. Not that I want to play medieval wars but it generally encourages the modders community to be creative with in general surprising results :-)
Ratzki

Post by Ratzki »

Are the scale of the hex's able to be changed? If so, what range of scale?
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: Ratzki

Are the scale of the hex's able to be changed? If so, what range of scale?

Yes for TOAW 3 and I am sure it won't changed for TOAW 4. The scale of the game is variable with distances ranging from 2.5 km per hex to 50 km per hex. The scenario designer is the one deciding of the scale. The turn duration is also variable.
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

By moddable I mean: possibility to create new units, new maps, whateveryou want in fact. A medieval wars mod for example... whatever. Some games (e.g. paradox EU4) have this flexibility. Not that I want to play medieval wars but it generally encourages the modders community to be creative with in general surprising results :-)

TOAW 3 (and I am sure 4) allows you to:
. create new equipments
. create new units (a unit is a container of several equipments)
. create new maps

Thus, a medieval scenario could be done. The most consuming task is to find OOB and historical documents.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Yes, pretty much 'whatever you want', although the universe must end somewhere, right [;)]
To get an idea, you can take a look here at many TOAW creations:
http://www.the-strategist.net/RD/scenar ... enario.php
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

If I have a green counter and paint it blue we know that the counter on opponents PC is still green. Can we play PBEM?
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

If I have a green counter and paint it blue we know that the counter on opponents PC is still green. Can we play PBEM?

Counter color mods are saved with the scenario file now. So both sides will see a blue counter.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

ORIGINAL: nukkxx

TOAW 3 (and I am sure 4) allows you to:
. create new equipments
. create new units (a unit is a container of several equipments)
. create new maps

Thus, a medieval scenario could be done. The most consuming task is to find OOB and historical documents.
Without body armor it may be hard to do it right. But, down the road....
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Sounds good ! Thanks for these answers !

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”