Axis naval capability in the Black Sea?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

wga8888

Axis naval capability in the Black Sea?

Post by wga8888 »

Is there any risk to warrant the the soviets garrisoning the Black Sea Ports?
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Telemecus

RE: Axis naval capability in the Black Sea?

Post by Telemecus »

AFAIK the Axis have no amphibious capability in the game so if that is the risk no.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

Thanks. If it was a concern, would tie up a lot of brigades to man all the ports.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
morvael

Post by morvael »

I wonder whether anyone tried to capture unguarded Soviet port with airborne troops and then reinforced via naval transport. Probably no one, the window when airborne troops are present is very short and people have other problems at the time (November-December 41). And people don't want to risk their units.
Manstein63

Post by Manstein63 »

ORIGINAL: morvael

I wonder whether anyone tried to capture unguarded Soviet port with airborne troops and then reinforced via naval transport. Probably no one, the window when airborne troops are present is very short and people have other problems at the time (November-December 41). And people don't want to risk their units.

It most probably wouldn't work,
Firstly assuming you could get an airborne landing by the Germans to land successfully you would probably only have enough capacity to send a regiment at a time,
the target port would then have a damage of 99% which means that you can't transport units to it & you are limited to how far your ships are able to move in the black sea using amphibious moves.
Even assuming everthing works & you have landed additional forces. they will only be able to recieve beach head supply (until the port is repaired) and will most likely surrender once the russians get enough to attack them. Also I thought only the Russians could do airborne opperations, and anyway most peoples house rules would prohibit it from happening, as it wouldn't be fair to limit Soviet airborne opperations only to be able to do your own.
Manstein63
'There is not, nor aught there be, nothing so exalted on the face of god's great earth, as that prince of foods. THE MUFFIN!!!'

Frank Zappa (Muffin Man)
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Manstein63

ORIGINAL: morvael

the window when airborne troops are present is very short and people have other problems at the time (November-December 41).

Also I thought only the Russians could do airborne opperations

Axis can do airborne but not amphibious. The Axis do have further para units arriving later in the game too - but also in poor windows of time. Before the rule change on port rebuilding this was more feasible - I think para drops on unguarded ports should still allow naval transport on the same turn. Airborne is about capturing infrastructure by surprise and intact.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT

Return to “The War Room”