Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Reactive armour

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Reactive armour Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Reactive armour - 3/30/2017 9:47:32 PM   
MTTODD

Hi,

Interested in how the game models reactive armour.

Is there a special calculation involved or is it represented in the armour values shown ?

From what I have read Kontact-5 on the T80-U would of been hard to penetrate (but I am no expert)

Many thanks for any information.

I enjoy the game very much.

Post #: 1
RE: Reactive armour - 3/30/2017 10:04:46 PM   
CapnDarwin

ERA is covered by the various specials active on the unit. We cover both the early and late ERA systems and various coverage configurations. The early versions has a chance to reduce only HEAT attacks and the late version also has a chance to reduce AP attacks. We also model tandem warheads and top attack weapons that can aid in bypassing ERA armor.

We are working hard on Southern Storm!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations

(in reply to MTTODD)
Post #: 2
RE: Reactive armour - 3/31/2017 3:40:55 PM   
Mad Russian

T-80U's are very hard to kill in the game.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 3
RE: Reactive armour - 3/31/2017 7:22:04 PM   
MTTODD

I assume that the shorter the range the more chance of the round defeating the reactive armour?

But there is a video of a T-80UD tank surviving a round by a T-80U at a distance of only 100 m.

(in reply to MTTODD)
Post #: 4
RE: Reactive armour - 3/31/2017 11:01:55 PM   
Stimpak

EDIT: I misread.

< Message edited by Stimpak -- 3/31/2017 11:03:44 PM >

(in reply to MTTODD)
Post #: 5
RE: Reactive armour - 4/1/2017 12:19:34 AM   
CapnDarwin

Distance is not really a factor since the drop in velocity of most AP rounds over their effective range is minimal.

On Target Simulations

(in reply to Stimpak)
Post #: 6
RE: Reactive armour - 4/1/2017 8:45:30 AM   
MTTODD

Hi,

Ok that's interesting, because it is often quoted in these forums that below 1,500 meters or so that any tank would more than likely be killed.

I assume that would not be the case then, if a tank had competent reactive armour like Kontack-5 ?

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 7
RE: Reactive armour - 4/1/2017 12:06:28 PM   
W1ll14m

MTTODD, here is some background on ERA.
http://below-the-turret-ring.blogspot.nl/2016/04/explosive-reactive-armor-some-history.html

Late ERA had some probablity to shatter / bend the rod of armor piercing shell, depending on the type of armor piercing shell.

William

OTS "garden boy"

(in reply to MTTODD)
Post #: 8
RE: Reactive armour - 4/1/2017 1:05:42 PM   
CapnDarwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: MTTODD

Hi,

Ok that's interesting, because it is often quoted in these forums that below 1,500 meters or so that any tank would more than likely be killed.

I assume that would not be the case then, if a tank had competent reactive armour like Kontack-5 ?

Yep. Sorry for the confusion. Let's say most tanks can kill each other inside 1500m. I guess I should have placed a caveat that some tanks due to advanced armors may be tougher than others. There are also groups of tanks based on main gun and armor. 105mm cannon on an M60 will have a much tougher time than the 120mm on an M1A1 in killing any tank with the drop in base pen.

I also state that when folks see Russian tanks killing NATO tanks and wonder why. The pen of a round goes up as you get inside of effective range. At some point in there those 120/125mm AP rounds cross the threshold of most armor systems.

Hope that clears things up a bit more.

On Target Simulations

(in reply to MTTODD)
Post #: 9
RE: Reactive armour - 4/1/2017 4:13:00 PM   
MTTODD

Thanks for all the info and clarification.

Can't be easy to model all the different armour calculations.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 10
RE: Reactive armour - 4/2/2017 6:27:48 PM   
Rosseau

Just as well you don't need to cover APS protection. It's pretty well modeled in Combat Mission Black Sea (although how would I know?), but it is always a shock to see in action, especially when shooting at measly IFVs. At least they do run out after a while.

(in reply to MTTODD)
Post #: 11
RE: Reactive armour - 4/7/2017 1:18:42 AM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: MTTODD

I assume that the shorter the range the more chance of the round defeating the reactive armour?

But there is a video of a T-80UD tank surviving a round by a T-80U at a distance of only 100 m.

Got a link? I'd like to see that.

(in reply to MTTODD)
Post #: 12
RE: Reactive armour - 4/8/2017 7:47:17 AM   
MTTODD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYFqB854Kh8

Hope your Russian is good ?

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 13
RE: Reactive armour - 1/20/2018 12:13:51 AM   
Zakalwe101

Just browsing through the older posts, there some good discussions amongst them, came across this one, and out of curiosity had a look a the link to the T80UD allegedly shot at .

Having watched the clip. I couldn't make out who was shooting at what. Also interesting how a fire truck turned up, lots of these on the battlefield, once the fire was out , the next section is the fireman tapping on the drivers hatch , which duly opens, but we never see the driver get out, sure he appears but the gun barrel stops him getting more than his upper torso out.

I don't speak or read Russian so relied on Google translate to help with the introductory comment and some of the follow on comments. It is introduced as
"Video with the tests of shelling the T-80UD tank from the T-80U tank, a distance of 100 m. The result of the hit is visible - destruction of the shelves, fire. The 125 mm BCS hit the tower at the junction between the two DZ blocks. The second hit in the upper part of the bow assembly of the hull. "

Subsequent comments raise some questions about what actually is being shown.

The Fire - this is apparrently externally stored fuel, which in combat operations are drained or pumped into the internal tanks - I was under the impression T80 fuel tanks are exactly where the fire was located.

The context - one commentator points out that this video was made at the height of the first Chechen War , where T80/T72 losses by the Russian Federation were pretty fearsome , question was this this stunt to reassure the Russian public as to the effectiveness of their equipment.
What actually happened - marked skepticism by this commentator "So this is not an armor piercing projectile. What is the point of shelling the tank with a land mine? That all fires, because it is a land mine. In the case of shelling, armor-piercing, and even more so with sub-caliber projectiles, from such a distance, not a single tank has a chance......"

The final video image 10m54s is someone sticking a rod through a hole in the front glacis plate , the rod is maybe a foot long seems to penetrate the front of the glacis right beneath the drivers position. To be honest I think we are looking at two different tanks that have been tested, without understanding the audio it's difficult to make any informed decision about the integrity of what is being shown.

In short I'd put this in the category of something published by RT or RBTN.

< Message edited by Zakalwe101 -- 1/23/2018 10:49:41 PM >

(in reply to MTTODD)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Reactive armour Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI