Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Christmas Update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Christmas Update Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Christmas Update - 1/6/2018 2:54:40 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

I've always fancied a large-scale raid on Ceylon as Japan: turn up, land five divisions, wipe out everything Allied on the island then sail away, but I've never felt it would be worth the fuel and possible losses.

I've always wanted to do exactly the same thing! Someday!

Considering your meticulous nature in planning operations, that makes me feel a great deal better! I've always had the feeling that it might just be my natural recklessness bleeding through into the game.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anomander Rake

quote:

Most IJN fighter squadrons using the Zero can be resized to size 81, and divided into 27 plane components. Whereas previously I used all three detachments in combat, I'm going to try to keep the absolute best for the front lines.

It is gamey, isn't it? Mechanics of resizing is for flexibility of aviation groups on aircraft carriers. Game hasn't possibility to freely create air forces.
For example not carrier capable air forces (like army air forces) can't be freely resized. So, IMHO resizing mechanich should be limited. Actions as in the quote (resizing and dividing to to increase the quantity air groups) are especially against the game.
My english isn't very good, sorry for it.

Your English is quite excellent, so don't be sorry for it!

I hope the thread in the main forum has gave you a more in-depth discussion than you would otherwise get here, but as others have said, it is a trade-off between several factors, and not just a one-sided advantage.

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Resize is up to the players.

The game imposes its own limits on IJ: supply. more aircraft in play use more supply per turn, and IJ rapidly will hit supply limits and the economy crash. In my games (against AI), I limit operational groups to 49, training groups can be larger. The reason for that is simple: 49 was a common size for IJ groups, and was apparently their target size. It was NOT used universally, but as best I can determine it was due to pilot/aircraft shortages, not intent. Think of it like the Brits Dowding vs Park; Dowding believed in small squadrons that were nimble, Park believed in large 'wings' that could impact. IJ appeared to be more the Park thought, but never had enough of anything to always do it. Noteworthy: neither did the Brits and Dowding won out. ;)

Anyway, sorry for the digression. With supply being a limiting factor, the whole resize question is mostly moot except for impact upon pilot training. Again for me, my opponent Andy AI gets new pilots in at +60 exp (and the number are essentially limitless) ... to effectively combat that, I need all the training I can get.

That's more or less my own take on the issue. 81 size groups are clumsy for operational use, but I see no reason to use larger groups for training purposes. If I've the planes in the pools and the willingness to trade supply for a more expedient pilot training program, then that's a fair trade in my view.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 91
RE: Christmas Update - 1/6/2018 3:35:49 PM   
Anomander Rake

quote:

I hope the thread in the main forum has gave you a more in-depth discussion than you would otherwise get here, but as others have said, it is a trade-off between several factors, and not just a one-sided advantage.

Thank you for your answer. I really don't like this aspect of the game. Both for my and my opponent side.
You should remember that you can resize some units and it gives you advantage in the first phase of war but your opponent can do this same when when he gets more Corsairs.
Both things give unnecessary advantage of the stronger side.
Anyway good luck.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 92
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 1/18/2018 4:31:03 PM   
mind_messing

January 5th to January 11th, 1942

Home Islands

I'm starting to sort out dispositions here, even if it is very early to be doing so. Currently, all available engineers are heading to vital bases with static aviation support to build up the airbase and fortification levels.

I've also marshaled the restricted squadrons in the Home Islands and Manchuria to concentrate my pilot training program by location. I've combined all the squadrons that can be combined and placed high INSP leaders to bump along training. Lots of fighters and floatplanes (to be more once I rotate a CS back to Japan to resize them), less so other types, but that will change in due course.

China

Still not got the rail-line to Hankow open, which is stalling my operations. Once Hankow can take rail traffic, I'll be moving a significant chunk of the Manchurian Army to smash into Changsha.

Wenchow should be seized shortly, thanks to two divisions from Manchuria.

I've a tank force preparing to push on Sian, along with a division and a brigade to back it up.

Still puttering about in South China with limited units, but should hopefully make some progress soon.

Luzon

Clark is bottled up, and I've left the artillery, a division and the 65th Brigade to keep the Allies pinned down. Everything else is being pulled out to regroup on Minadano, then on to Java.

Malaya

I've mucked up the timetable here something awful, and it's been a slow slog down towards Singapore, but we're getting somewhere now. Bombing of Singers has begun, and but I'll need to regroup before crossing the causeway.

South Pacific

Fiji invasion force is en-route, but the seizure of New Caledonia and Norfolk Island seems to have rattled Loka, as the USN are sputtering around the island being a nuisance. I'm considering sending the KB swinging past New Zealand to see if they can't catch some of the CA's and CL's present here, but it's cutting in to my DEI invasion timetable...

DEI

Good progress here: Balikipapan is due to fall shortly, as is Kendrai. Ambon is Japanese. Timor is likely up next.

Currently, I'm considering a east-to-west invasion from Timor, through Java into Sumatra. Reason being is that Loka has been very keen to strategic bomb the oil as soon as it is captured, so giving him as little scope as possible to bomb Palembang is critical.

Not seen much from the Allies in terms of naval strength, so either he's ran away (unlikely) or he's digging in somewhere (almost certain). I've been burned once by USN CV's in the DEI, so the pressure is on to wrap up Fiji and get the KB over to where the real valuable bases are.

Post #: 93
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 5/8/2018 10:34:21 PM   
mind_messing

Reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated. I've had a busy few months at the start of the year, followed by complete computer meltdown at the end of last month. Thankfully I've got a brand new build on the go so I hope to crank turns out with Loka as soon as I've the new PC configured for AE!

Post #: 94
RE: Christmas Update - 5/9/2018 2:46:36 PM   
mind_messing

January 22nd, 1942

North Pacific

The first whiff of American aircraft carriers since the start of the war materializes here, with long-range floatplanes from Adak spotting USN carrier forces to the south!

Given the fact that the KB is off Noumea covering the Fiji operation, it looks like Loka is attempting a rehash of his famous NorPac raid. This time I doubt he'll have as much fun, as I've already got plenty of aircraft In the area.

More are transferring from the PI, including crack Betty and Zero squadrons.

Central Pacific

Fairly quiet here today, need to start moving supplies up to the front as the first wave of invasions has depleted the rear-area depots.

South-West Pacific

We attack the Allied garrison at Suva and don't do amazingly, getting only a 1 to 2 attack odds. I'm shifting the Guards Mixed Bde. over from Noumea to support, and once Suva falls, will ship the 4th Division to garrison New Caledonia.

quote:

Ground combat at Suva (132,160)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 13108 troops, 114 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 447

Defending force 9940 troops, 140 guns, 59 vehicles, Assault Value = 244

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2

Japanese adjusted assault: 179

Allied adjusted defense: 217

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
235 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 38 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
377 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 40 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Assaulting units:
4th Division

Defending units:
9th Australian Brigade
8th NZ Brigade
114th USAAF Base Force
115th USAAF Base Force
131st Field Artillery Battalion
147th Field Artillery Regiment
148th Field Artillery Battalion
1st RNZAF Base Force

Small units are sweeping up the dot hexes in the region, so we should be in firm control here shortly.

DEI

We've got Balikpapan under firm control, and I've sent most of the IJN ships in the area to disband in port, with the exception of the DD's, which are hunting the Dutch submarine force that has concentrated off Balikipapan.

Once they've been driven off, I'll conduct landings on the rest of Borneo and ramp up the air campaign against Java. Currently it's limited to Zero sweeps from Balikipapan. The actual invasion of Java will need to wait till Singapore falls.

Malaya

Still routine here, with IJA units one hex out from Singapore. We'll deal with the straglers blocking the railroads and then concentrate for the big push over the causeway.

Burma

I've sent a number of spare engineers and aviation support to northern Thailand, in the hope of opening up the air war here in a week or so once the airbases expand. As it stands, the IJA has occupied the pan-handle but I'm waiting for big reinforcements before advancing further.

China

Not much of note other than regular bombings.

Post #: 95
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 5/9/2018 2:54:32 PM   
obvert

quote:

Reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated. I've had a busy few months at the start of the year, followed by complete computer meltdown at the end of last month. Thankfully I've got a brand new build on the go so I hope to crank turns out with Loka as soon as I've the new PC configured for AE!

Ah. Good to see this is happening still and see you posting. Look forward to another epic struggle.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 96
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 5/9/2018 6:30:16 PM   
PaxMondo

+1

Am wondering why he would de-cloak his CV's so close to Adak .... he must know they will be spotted ...

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 97
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 5/9/2018 6:43:23 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

Ah. Good to see this is happening still and see you posting. Look forward to another epic struggle.

It's good to be back, but it's hard getting back into it. I can't remember half of what should be going where!

quote:

+1

Am wondering why he would de-cloak his CV's so close to Adak .... he must know they will be spotted ...

He ended up attacking the port at Adak with a strike that did absolutely nothing due to bad weather. I've a AF unit and some floatplanes on the island, so maybe it's just a soft target for him to attack in Jan '42...?

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 98
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 5/9/2018 6:45:46 PM   
PaxMondo

Maybe ... maybe his intel was poor and wanted to see ... just bothering me he used the asset he did. He's a better player than that ... so either something nefarious or a complete oops .... time will tell.

Pax

Post #: 99
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 5/9/2018 7:02:24 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

Maybe ... maybe his intel was poor and wanted to see ... just bothering me he used the asset he did. He's a better player than that ... so either something nefarious or a complete oops .... time will tell.

Currently my thinking is that he was trying to ambush my shipping up here, such as it was (a xAK and a PB carrying the AF unit, and a AV).

Potentially he could be covering for a quick and nasty counter-invasion of Adak, or knew I had floatplanes on the go and wanted to attrition them.

Or it's a mistake from not playing this game in a couple months.

Given that it's Loka, I'm inclined to think the former.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 100
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 5/10/2018 3:00:56 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

Currently my thinking is that he was trying to ambush my shipping up here, such as it was (a xAK and a PB carrying the AF unit, and a AV).

Potentially he could be covering for a quick and nasty counter-invasion of Adak, or knew I had floatplanes on the go and wanted to attrition them.

Not disagreeing with any of it, and you certainly know him best having played him. It's just, except for a counter-invasion, those all seem like poor reasons to expose the location of the USN CV's at this point.
If it is a counter-invasion, then he really messed up his timing, and he's too good a player for that ...

So, my spidey-sense is piqued ...

Pax

Post #: 101
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 5/10/2018 7:58:21 AM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not disagreeing with any of it, and you certainly know him best having played him. It's just, except for a counter-invasion, those all seem like poor reasons to expose the location of the USN CV's at this point.
If it is a counter-invasion, then he really messed up his timing, and he's too good a player for that ...

Or he wants the Japanese to see the Allied CVs, knowing this forces some contingencies for defence of the Aleuts, Kuriles and even the Home Islands. If there is little danger here, the KB is known to be far away, it's actually a good strategic move to show the CVs.

If they now move into the deep Pacific to the SW you have to consider all kinds of options, all of which mean you have to allocate some forces to areas that don't help you invade the DEI quickly.

EDIT: Reading back, you say exactly this a few posts back considering how to deal with the USN near Fiji

quote:

South Pacific

Fiji invasion force is en-route, but the seizure of New Caledonia and Norfolk Island seems to have rattled Loka, as the USN are sputtering around the island being a nuisance. I'm considering sending the KB swinging past New Zealand to see if they can't catch some of the CA's and CL's present here, but it's cutting in to my DEI invasion timetable...

< Message edited by obvert -- 5/10/2018 8:01:28 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 102
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 5/12/2018 12:38:41 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Or he wants the Japanese to see the Allied CVs, knowing this forces some contingencies for defence of the Aleuts, Kuriles and even the Home Islands. If there is little danger here, the KB is known to be far away, it's actually a good strategic move to show the CVs.

If they now move into the deep Pacific to the SW you have to consider all kinds of options, all of which mean you have to allocate some forces to areas that don't help you invade the DEI quickly.

EDIT: Reading back, you say exactly this a few posts back considering how to deal with the USN near Fiji

quote:

South Pacific

Exactly ... I'm thinking some sort of deception ... not sure what though ... just feels off

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 103
RE: Christmas Update - 6/5/2018 11:06:33 AM   
mind_messing

Having exhausted my google-fu, does anyone have a copy of the optimum organization for tankers loading fuel and oil in the DEI?

I think it was orginally NYGiants (?) that had it, and it broke down what tanker types, how many and where was best to run them to?

Thanks!

Post #: 104
RE: Christmas Update - 6/6/2018 2:23:12 PM   
mind_messing

January 23rd to February 4th, 1942

North Pacific

The Allied CV force up here vanishes, and I manage to run in a few hundred supply points to Adak, giving me a nice forward search capability here for the foreseeable future.

I've started getting eyes out in to the Kuriles as well, and I've plans in place to get the Japanese bases on Sakhilin well developed before the year is out.

Central Pacific

Not much of note here, bar this nice windfall on Feb 3rd...

quote:

Sub attack near French Frigate Shoal at 175,95

Japanese Ships
SS I-9

Allied Ships
CV Saratoga, Torpedo hits 2
DD Perkins
DD Downes
DD Cassin
DD Tucker
DD Reid

No sign of serious damage, but a fleet CV out of the fight is always a big plus. I'll see if we can't get another hole in her as she straggles back to Pearl.

South-West Pacific

Interesting events are taking place here.

Suva fails to fall, and the Allied enclave on Fiji clings on. The Allies are reinforcing, which I'm overjoyed at seeing. The current situation is that the ground battle is stalemated - one IJA division and the Guards Mixed Brigade can't dislodge a US Infantry division and assorted units and vice versa.

At sea, we have this stunning IJN attack on US transports off Fiji:

quote:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Suva at 132,160, Range 7,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
MTB G-7

Allied Ships
APD Waters
AVP Pelican
AVP Thrush
AP Wharton
AP Harris, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AP Tasker H. Bliss, Shell hits 1
AP Henry T. Allen
AP President Jackson, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
AP President Monroe
AP President Polk, on fire
AK Bellatrix
AK Betelgeuse
AK Arcturus
PC Kimball

Elsewhere, Jakes flying from Nadi on Fiji put bombs into a few more AK, and Netties flying from Noumea put bombs into another AK in the region.

Things are shaping up much as I'd hoped. I'm holding the KB at Truk, waiting for the oilers to collect fuel from Balikipapan and two divisions to arrive from China. At which point, the Combined Fleet will sortie and land two more divisions on Fiji and push the Americans back into the sea before withdrawing the divisions back to Rabual.

In the interm, I've sent a collection of support ships and a light crusier force to Noumea to assist in interdicting Allied efforts to reinforce Fiji. I'm glad that we've found the Allied line in the sand, as I'm in a good position to attrition it on my terms over the next six months.

DEI/Malaya

The IJA doomstack is just outside Singapore, waiting for the last few units to rejoin before crossing the causeway. I want to maximimze the inital assault so as to hopefully keep casualties low and the battle short.

We're taking the first steps towards a landing on Java, with units gathering to invade Dempasser to serve as the stepping stone on to Java itself. I'll likely leave Java until Singapore has fallen, or I may just take a coastal hex and wait before moving inland.

Burma

Still not moving here, as I'm in no rush. The AVG are still kicking around so we're taking care to not get ambushed.

China

Singyang falls at last, breaking Chinese resistance in the central plains. The IJA's tanks chase them down, as the infantry and artillery moves towards Changsha to break open the centre of the Chinese position.

Meanwhile, the advance towards Sian has became something of a meatgrinder, which again suits me. I've additional artillery en-route from Manchuria to help effect a breakthrough.

Post #: 105
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 6/14/2018 1:19:44 PM   
mind_messing

February 5th to February 7th, 1942

Update time as I'm procrastinating from more important things.

North Pacific

Back to the usual quiet up here, no Allied shipping in sight.

Central Pacific

All quiet here as well, though I did get a sig-int hit from an open ocean hex east of Christmas Island. Possibily carriers or a convoy?

South-West Pacific

USN crusiers spotted and attacked by IJN bombers from Noumea, but they've not had any luck with bombs due to bad weather.

I've got some aviation support moving in to Nadi, so I'll be able to get some fighters in and then start working on the airbase. Considering the stalemated situation on the island, keeping the Americans from supporting Suva will be key, and so far we've done a decent job.

Malaya

I'm ready to cross the straits with some 4k AV, 9 divisions in total. Hopefully we'll smash the Allied defending troops on the first shock attack.

As can be seen, I've already the shipping in place once Singers falls to start getting things moving elsewhere.

DEI

We're moving on Denpasser as the first step to taking Java. Tanks are moving to take Makassar, while the IJN will land troops and airbase units on Denpasser to use that base to support landing operations in the next two weeks.

We land on Timor also, taking Latuem.

China

Two major IJA concentrations are moving towards Sian and Changsha respectively. The Sian front is a bit disconnected, but I hope to be able to break through to the open hexes to the east of Sian while the majority of the KMT strength is stuck in the woods. If I can bypass these units and take Sian from behind, it will be much less of a hassle than smashing them out of the woods conventionally.

Changsha will probably be a bloody affair, but there's nothing to be done and it's the key to getting the south section of the Chinese road network up and operational.

I've already pulled a couple of battered units from the frontlines to be sent to the Pacific front; there's currently a full strength division due to be sent to Fiji and a battered division with a poor TOE that I've earmarked for NorPac (likely Sakhilin's garrison).

< Message edited by mind_messing -- 6/14/2018 1:21:09 PM >

Post #: 106
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 8/16/2018 6:19:06 PM   
mind_messing

February 8th to February 15th, 1942

North Pacific

Not much up here.

Central Pacific

Fairly quiet, bar a IJN sub putting a torpedo into the Idaho and a xAK outside Pearl, so there's shipping on the move!

South-West Pacific

USN crusiers are still on the prowl in this area, based from Auckland. I've the Yubari and some DD's in the area, but they're just as a deterrent.

In a bold move, the Allies land and recapture Norfolk Island from the IJ paratrooper fragment holding the island.

The stalemate on Fiji continues. Allied forts are likely high by this point, so I think my post-DEI operations will involve disguising the withdrawal of Fiji as a second invasion attempt.

I've been thinking hard about this, but I think that defending SWPAC from Noumea has better dynamics for Japan than defending from Fiji. The VP's would be nice, but such is life.

Malaya

Singapore falls, much as expected. Two divisions are peeled off for Burma, while the rest gear up for redeployment to the DEI and SWPAC eventually.

I lose a Rgt. on board transports off Timor to a roving squadron of Allied cruisers - mishandled this one and got complacent after taking Timor on the cheap. I'm aviation support on route to the region to help shut it down so hopefully no more repeats.

We also get our first carrier clash of the war!

USN CV's go up against the Mini-KB to contest the landing at Denpasser. The results are very mixed...

quote:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Denpasar at 56,112

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 34 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 36
B5N1 Kate x 45

Allied aircraft
F4F-3A Wildcat x 23

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 6 destroyed
B5N1 Kate: 1 destroyed, 11 damaged
B5N1 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3A Wildcat: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
CV Enterprise, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage REPORTED SUNK
CA Australia, Bomb hits 1
CV Lexington

quote:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Mataram at 58,111

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 34 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 25

Allied aircraft
F2A-3 Buffalo x 22
SBD-2 Dauntless x 53
SBD-3 Dauntless x 18
TBD-1 Devastator x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
SBD-2 Dauntless: 4 destroyed, 5 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 3 damaged
TBD-1 Devastator: 3 destroyed, 3 damaged

Japanese Ships
CVE Taiyo, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage SUNK
CVE Hosho, Bomb hits 1
CVL Ryujo, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage SUNK
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 2, on fire
DD Hatsukaze, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Hatsuharu, Bomb hits 2, and is sunk
DD Nenohi, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Hayashio
DD Suzukaze

USN aircraft divert to Denpasser...only to be destroyed on the ground when IJA units overrun the airbase.

A CVL and a CVE isn't a terrible trade for a USN CV at this stage in the game. Combined with the fact that the Saratoga took two torpedoes on 3rd Febuary, this is a very good tactical trade.

A couple of IJN CA's are down with moderate damage, but the way is cleared for the invasion of Java. With Singapore in Japanese hands and the KB rotating in to cover it, things are looking good for Japanese troops ashore on Java before the end of February.

China

Solid progress here. I have some 1.8k AV that's flanked Sian and anothe 2.4k keeping 24 Chinese units pinned down in the terrain south of Sian, so these units should soon be cut off. It is my intention to rotate in as many bombers as I can muster to support the actual capture of Sian and then mop up the surving units at a later date.

I've 500 AV of tanks that have taken Ichang, and they're moving west to Changteh to flank Changsha from the north. At Changsha itself, some 4.2k IJA AV is concentrating to take the city. It's my hope to get tanks west of Changsha to interfere with the Chinese once their pushed out of Changsha, but we'll see.

I've not seen any air attacks at all in China from the Allies, so I'm cautious about my air usage around frontline areas. Some backwater regions, however, have more or less become live-fire training ranges for the IJA's bomber cadres.

All in all, so far, so good!

Post #: 107
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 8/16/2018 9:01:10 PM   
obvert

quote:

A CVL and a CVE isn't a terrible trade for a USN CV at this stage in the game. Combined with the fact that the Saratoga took two torpedoes on 3rd Febuary, this is a very good tactical trade.

Did she go under though? Could have with three fish, but maybe not. I'm sure you're sending I-boats that way. Either way the speed of movement in the DEI is important at this stage and it sounds like this cleared the path for a few finishing blows.

Post #: 108
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 8/16/2018 9:09:24 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

Did she go under though? Could have with three fish, but maybe not. I'm sure you're sending I-boats that way. Either way the speed of movement in the DEI is important at this stage and it sounds like this cleared the path for a few finishing blows.

I'm about 70% confident she's gone. If she's not gone outright, it's a long, long trip back to a safe port. I could be wrong, however, but it's out of the picture for a while (along with Saratoga). I'll take it at any rate.

Yeah, I'm hoping to get the DEI cleared up ASAP so I can deal with Fiji. Taking the island would be nice, but I would hate to land more divisions only to have a protracted campaign develop a absurd distance from the fuel centres.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 109
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 9/11/2018 3:22:26 PM   
mind_messing

February 17th to February 25th, 1942

North Pacific

Snore in the Pacific up here. We've supply to the floatplane outpost at Adak, and with the nearest US airbase being Cold Harbour at level 1, it looks likely to remain that way for a while.

Central Pacific

SNLF go ashore at Tabiteuea, flipping that base, and will sweep up the rest of the undefended islands. This is just area denial - I'll likely park a Naval Guard on Tab and fill the rest of the area out with seaplane tenders. I've a bunch converting just now, but the 180 day conversion time sucks.

South-West Pacific

With the outlook elsewhere looking good, I've changed my mind at Suva and committing to an all-in operation to take Fiji from the Allies.

The current plan is for a cordon sanitaire to be set up using floatplanes operating from the bases marked in yellow. IJAAF fighters and bombers will be on standby at Noumea (purple) to cover the ingress of two or three IJA divisions in the first wave (green), with an additional division following on. Alongside the first wave will be engineers, supply and aviation support to develop Nadi into an offensive Japanese airbase.

The KB is rotating out of the DEI in preparation for this OP and will be on station to support. Current Allied carriers in the Pacific are at least 1 CV (Wasp), while Allied regional strength is one heavy crusier group based out of Aukland. Forts at Suva are likely to be high, so provision is being made to rearm IJN ships at Noumea in order to conduct shuttle bombardment runs.

I'd like opinions on this - I toyed with an evacuation, but I had planned to use Noumea as a forward raiding base for the KB to burn Australian industry anyways, and I need to mount a '42 offensive somewhere...

DEI

IJA soldiers land on Java!

Current IJA strength is two divisions, with an additional division due from Singapore within the week, and 4 tank regiments within a fortnight. Current plans are for the isolation and capture of Batavia before IJA units sweep towards Surabaja.

IJA units also land on Sumatra, taking all the coastal bases bar Medan. Medan, surrounded by elements of two IJA divisions, is being left in Dutch hands until units are in place to ensure the saftey of the oil from air raids. A single IJA tank regiment is racing for the interior of Sumatra, and once Medan is secured, IJA units in the north of Sumatra will reembark to invade Southern Sumatra.

China

In a nice bit of tactical finesse, IJA troops seize Sian with minimal opposition, and manage to trap 27 Chinese units outside the city.

With aviation support being flown in and additional troops moving up, the way is open for a northern offensive into the Chinese heartlands.

Changsha is also set to fall, with 1.25k of bombed and battered Chinese AV facing up against 4k IJA AV for the critical city. Once the defending units are swept aside, IJA units are set to bound on towards Chungking.

However, it is not all good news. Recon indicates large numbers of Chinese units fleeing westwards, likely bound for Burma...

Burma

With the fall of Singapore, two IJA divisions are marching in to Burma to support the ragtag elements of the IJA that were pushed back from Pegu last month.

There have been serious efforts to build up bases in northern Thailand to support ground and air operations in Burma, and the plan is for a rapid push past Rangoon to cut off the exit route for Chinese units attempting to march west from Paoshan. While it's not likely that the IJA will be able to prevent their escape to India, it is important that Chinese units do not entrench in favorable terrain in Burma.

Tentative plans are being considered to redeploy IJA units from Java or Sumatra to support operations in Burma once Rangoon has fallen.

< Message edited by mind_messing -- 9/13/2018 2:06:19 PM >

Post #: 110
RE: Rematch: Ragnarök - mind_messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 9/13/2018 2:17:10 PM   
mind_messing

26th February, 1942

North Pacific

The first of my Jake squadrons cross trained in NavS and ASW moves up to Hokkaido to start blanketing the Japanese sea lanes with aircraft. The current IJ ASW strategy is to use Jakes, en masse, to drive up detection levels on Allied subs, then shuttle around a core cadre of high EXP/high ASW IJA 2E bomber squadrons to kill them. We'll see how that works out.

Central Pacific

The CL Detroit and a DD escort jump the IJN TF loading a naval guard from Tabiteuea.

quote:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Tabiteuea at 137,134, Range 6,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
PB Shonon Maru #11, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
xAK Terushima Maru, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Yosyu Maru, Shell hits 26, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Tensyo Maru, Shell hits 21, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CL Detroit
DD Mugford

Japanese ground losses:
707 casualties reported
Squads: 42 destroyed, 37 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 12 (5 destroyed, 7 disabled)

The fault is mine for not escorting it, but I had expected most Allied ships to be further south or east. My bad!

I've still another Naval Guard en route to do sweep up in this region so perhaps I can bait a trap...

South-West Pacific

Jakes flying from one of the isladns off Fiji sights the battleship New Mexico and attempts to attack it with 60kg bombs. No hits, but the intel is more valuable - the USN is committing big surface assets here, and the only operational base they can use in the region is Auckland. Subs are vectored in, and hopefully we might get a hit on these big slow monsters.

Preparations for the second wave for Fiji are complete, with the bulk of the IJN transiting to Truk, and the first of the DEI fuel is moving to Rabual and Truk to support the operations.

Troops land at Lae to march overland to take Port Moresby.

DEI

The IJA continue to make inroads on Java, while the first resource convoys leave Singapore for Japan.

China

IJA attacks on Changsha and Wenchow are repulsed, but with a good exchange for the attacking side. Not long here now.

quote:

Ground combat at Changsha (82,52)

Attacking force 131830 troops, 1368 guns, 212 vehicles, Assault Value = 4144

Defending force 56295 troops, 326 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1252

Japanese adjusted assault: 2228

Allied adjusted defense: 1771

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3991 casualties reported
Squads: 17 destroyed, 431 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 51 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 52 disabled
Guns lost 32 (5 destroyed, 27 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
3081 casualties reported
Squads: 28 destroyed, 336 disabled
Non Combat: 9 destroyed, 96 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 19 disabled
Guns lost 42 (5 destroyed, 37 disabled)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Wenchow (89,58)

Attacking force 66592 troops, 643 guns, 195 vehicles, Assault Value = 2114

Defending force 48356 troops, 195 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1407

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 1411

Allied adjusted defense: 4750

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
5778 casualties reported
Squads: 14 destroyed, 375 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 46 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 61 disabled

Allied ground losses:
750 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 88 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled

Wenchow is a bit bloodier than I'm comfortable with, so I'm debating rotating some more bombers in to blast the defenders even more, but with forts down to 1 and additional reinforcements inbound, I'm not sure what good it would do.

Burma

Nothing to report, still waiting on troops marching from Thailand to Burma before second stage operations resume.

Post #: 111
RE: Christmas Update - 10/24/2018 1:25:25 PM   
mind_messing

Update: March 25th, 1942

Things are progressing well, with the first stage of Japanese expansion almost complete.

North Pacific

After a nifty little raid by Allied light cruisers in this area, the region has calmed down some. I've moved some engineering units to Toyohara to speed the expansion of the port and airbase, and there's an AV supporting naval search planes from Shimushiri-jima.

Based on my own experiences of the Northern Pacific islands and those I've seen in other AAR's (looking at you, Obvert), I'm considering a drastically different approach to defending NorPac, but more on that later.

There's still a bit of Allied movement in the Aleutians, which is currently being kept under the watchful eye of the tiny IJN naval search outpost on Adak.

Central Pacific

Little to report here. There's a big convoy with a half-dozen Naval Guard units en-route to Truk. These units are earmarked for a few key islands in the Marshalls and Gilberts as token garrisons. I'm waiting on the first run of converted seaplane tenders to finish before this theatre gets the air assets it really needs. Currently the first batch are about 100 days out...

South-West Pacific

Two IJA regiments are unable to dislodge the defenders of Port Moresby. One regiment is trashed and is withdrawing, while another regiment from Rabual is sent to replace it. IJ air assets at Rabual are gearing up to support operations against Rabual.

Landings at Suva go off without a hitch. Allied naval assets are absent when the KB appears with the amphibious force in tow.

The 4th, 16th and 54th IJA divisions land on Fiji and quickly move to assault Suva, supporting by virtually all the IJN's heavy surface assets operating in the bombardment role. The inital attack is promising.

quote:

round combat at Suva (132,160)

Attacking force 32472 troops, 278 guns, 42 vehicles, Assault Value = 1557

Defending force 21348 troops, 333 guns, 367 vehicles, Assault Value = 560

Japanese adjusted assault: 539

Allied adjusted defense: 671

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2087 casualties reported
Squads: 14 destroyed, 198 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Guns lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1342 casualties reported
Squads: 23 destroyed, 105 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 28 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 11 disabled

Assaulting units:
4th Division
Guards Mixed Brigade
54th Division
16th Division

Defending units:
9th Australian Brigade
41st Infantry Division
8th NZ Brigade
114th USAAF Base Force
148th Field Artillery Battalion
147th Field Artillery Regiment
115th USAAF Base Force
131st Field Artillery Battalion
1st RNZAF Base Force

While IJA losses were quite steep, the fortifications were knocked down to 2, and the majority of the IJA's disablements were from the Guards Mixed Bde. (the weakest combat unit). The three divisions will be making another attack tomorrow and hopefully wear out the defenders.

Operations off-shore are well in hand, with IJ paratroopers sweeping out the surrounding bases of Allied search bases.

DEI

IJA troops land at Palembang, as units from North Sumatra move southwards towards the key oil port. The massive oil complex is expected to fall before March is out.

Batavia has fallen, leaving Soerabaja as the last remaining Dutch stronghold on Java.

A single SNLF has landed on Northern Australia, taking Derby, and moving to sweep up the other bases in the region. This is merely a deposit on a possible plan in the second half of 1942 to elimiate Darwin via an overland campaign. Given developments elsewhere, this may not take place, but the possibility remains open.

Blue - Main port for landing IJA elements.
Red Arrows - projected IJA advance.
Black - Positions to be captured and developed into bases to provide forward defense of the DEI.

Burma

Quite a concern here. Significant numbers of Chinese units have been seen in Burma, and the spearhead towards Rangoon is already bogged down at Pegu.

The situation is not terrible, however, as three divisions from Java and a fourth from Sumatra will be freed up within a month for offensive operations in Burma, plus extensive development of bases in Thailand has given the IJAAF excellent capability to strike Allied units around Rangoon. With the DEI winding up as an active theatre, large numbers of aircraft will soon be able to redeploy here.

Currently, I expect to have broken the stalemate by May '42

Black - Allied concentration. Chinese and Commonwealth units.
Purple - Major Japanese airbases. Chang-Mai (size 4) Uttaradit (size 7) Raeheng (size 2) Pinanuloke (size 4)

China

The best news for last, as the IJA pushes on relentlessly towards Chungking.

The northern vector will strike into the Chungking plains in a few days, while the central offensive has bogged down somewhat north-west of Changsha due to stauch defence from the Chinese and partisans interfering with supply lines. However, this is to be cleared up within a month. IJ air power in China is centralizing at Changsha to help support the push to knock the KMT out of the war ASAP.

Red - Major IJA advances.
Purple - Major KMT troop concentrations.

Post #: 112
RE: Christmas Update - 11/6/2018 10:45:15 AM   
mind_messing

The Air War

With the initial bout of expansion almost completed, and the end to the "happy time" for the Japanese air force, I've pulled almost all of the elite pilots from frontline squadrons to TRACOM. From there, a single elite pilot has been sent to every IJN fighter training squadron in the Home Islands, and I'll do the same for the IJA fighter training squadrons when I get the turn back. For the first four months of the war, I've been very happy in my ability to preserve solid pilots and develop a initial reserve pilots that I can throw into combat where needed. Work will continue in pushing up the average EXP and skills of combat pilots whereever possible.

The Ki-45 is due to come online within a month, which will give me the airframe that I hope to carry the IJA through to mid-43 before being phased out by the Frank. I've some 12 squadrons that can convert to the airframe, and I intend to convert them all. They'll be filled with regular fighter pilots, and all the squadrons will do a tour on ground attack duties in China to build EXP, even if the F>FB EXP hit doesn't actually takes place (not sure if the game counts F>FB as changing aircraft "type" so we will see).

Both the IJA and IJN bomber squadrons are heavily emphasised on build EXP at present. In the case of the IJA, it's mostly to develop high EXP pilots to be re-trained to ASW. Once I've a couple hundred of high EXP/high ASW IJA pilots, the training regime will shift over to a ground bombing/naval bombing focus for the remainder of the war.

With the IJN bomber pilots, it's a different story. Almost all the 2E (Betty/Nell) squadrons are employed on milk run bombing missions over China with the sole purpose of building up EXP - they already have solid NavB/T and GrdB skills. They're earmarked for night naval attack missions as the war progresses. I'll be stopping the milk run attacks next turn as the EXP gain seems to have reached a plateau around 70 EXP, which is sufficent for my purposes. I'll draw out the high EXP pilots and turn over most of the squadrons to NavT/NavB training for the next six months.

The IJN DB/TB situation is looking good thanks to the big traning program in the Home Islands. I intend to avoid using IJN DB/TB as land-based aircraft if at all possible. I might feed some of the higher EXP rookies into the KB and pull the KB veterans into the pool for use in night attack squadrons, but that depends on the overall skill levels.

The recon situation for both the IJA and IJN isn't as good as I would like. Cross-training NavS and Recon while keeping operational use of the recon squadrons has been difficult. With the scope of China winding down to a few cities, I hope to pull a couple of squadrons from frontline duty to help bolster IJA recon pilot training. In my view, building NavS into the recon squadrons is absolutely critical. The Dinah is absolutely key in bolstering general naval search across the empire, and the Judy and Myrt recon versions are amazing long-range search platforms. I want the pilots to have the skills to fully exploit these airframes.

The patrol plane situation is excellent. The programme to resize all the float squadrons is just about complete. There's a little more min-maxing to be done with ship-based floatplane squadrons that will happen as the war progresses and ships rotate back to Japan for repairs. The first dedicated ASW/NavS squadron of Jakes has deployed to the North Pacific, and as others come online they'll be deployed along the Malaya-Japan axis.

Overall air losses are as follows:

Japan: 778
Allies: 829

I'm very happy with this.

The Naval War

Currently, the balance of power in the Pacific is firmly in the hands of the Japanese.

The major Japanese warship losses are as follows: BB Haruna, CVL Rujyo, CVE Taiyo, CA Ashigara, CL Natori, CL Kashima

The major Allied warship losses are as follows: CV Saratoga, CV Enterprise (reported scuttled), CA Chigago plus sundry dutch and British CL.

While the loss of an IJN BB and two flight decks hurts, the trade for possibly two USN CV's is more than acceptable.

My next task once I get the turn back is to re-organize the IJN in a more logical manner. For me, this will involve moving the older warships to rear-area and second line duties and concentrating the best surface combatants. In my previous experience with Loka, the best surface combat results have been generated by night actions involving IJN heavy crusiers, so that will likely be the focus of my efforts. With 17 CA left, I think a deployment of 3 TF's of 5 CA's, one for NorPac, CentPac and the DEI should be sufficent, plus enabling the two Tone's to stay with the KB. I'm not sure how to rationalise the rest of the IJN yet, so I'll need to do some map staring.

I've most of the IJ merchant fleet currently at Singapore, and I'm in the process of establishing the economic convoys back to Japan. The first round of seaplane tender conversions are also due to reach completion, which will help provide the air cover needed for most of the DEI without the need for too much aviation support units.

Base Development

Major engineering works are currently ongoing across the map.

Work in Korea and Manchuria is progressing nicely. However, based on my experiences from the ultra-late game as Japan, I'm of the view that defending Manchuria as Japan is pointless. I may curtail fortification work in Manchuria in favor of more intensive but smaller scale effort in Central Korea. This is mainly a supply saving measure.

The development of the bases in the Home Islands is also progressing well, but there is much still to be done. The first round of airbase expansion should be complete within two or three months. After this point I hope to send most of the engineers off to the front, leaving cadre units to spend the next few years developing fortification levels.

Construction units are also on hand in the DEI. Miri is having the oil reparied and the base expanded, as is Tarakan. Construction units are also getting to work on Northern Sumatra. More engineer units are on the way to the Eastern DEI to expand bases around the Ambon-Bolea-Timor area.

Currently the glaring weaknesses in the Empire are centred around the South-West Pacific and North Pacific, but plans are underway to start development of additional bases in these locations.

I'm trying not to expand bases beyond their SPS values, except where it's warrented. As tempting as it is to build every possible airbase to size 9, the supply cost is abhorent. Instead I think I'll try to focus on a number of smaller bases, backed up by one or two large bases. We will see...

Post #: 113
RE: Christmas Update - 11/12/2018 4:31:39 PM   
mind_messing

Air R&D

After nearly four months of war, I've settled on my final R&D program for this game. I'll give an overview of it and my reasoning behind it, as it's changed some from my initial projections.

IJN

Fighters

A6M3a Zero - 1x30 - This is moving on to the A6M5c

A6M5 Zero - 3x30 - Two are converted Rufe R&D factories, they'll be moving on to the A6M5c line shortly. Once the 5c is nearly operational status I'll move two over to the Sam.

A7M2 Sam - 2x30 - Will be bolstered by two more factories once the Zero 5c is online. Late-war IJN CAP and CV plane.

J2M2 Jack - 1x30 - Will repair and move the M2 into production, then bring the M3 forward, then on to the M5.

J2M5 Jack - 1x30 - Should be the M2 model, misclick that has cost me supplies! Will go into production.

J7W1 Shinden - 3x30 - Late war IJN CAP.

N1K1-J George - 4x30 - Will repair, two factories will produce the K1 model, with two more moving the progress if the K2 and then K5 models forward.

Everything Else

B6N2 Jill - 3x30 - Will go right into production. I don't see the value in bringing the N2a model closer just for radar that only actives on 10/44. Will replace the Kate until the Grace arrives, then it will be an exclusive land-based airframe.

B7A2 Grace - 3x30 - I like this plane. Will go right into production and I plan to use it as the exclusive strike aircraft on my CV's.

C6N1 Myrt - 1x30 - Will go right into production as the N2 model is inferior. Amazing range for search and deep recon.

D4Y1 Judy - 4x30 - All will move to the Y4 model once repaired to get this airframe into action ASAP. Will replace the Val on CV's until the Grace arrives, then land-based use after that.

D4Y1-C Judy - 1x30 - Will go into production to tide over the IJN recon squadrons till the Myrt arrives.

H8K1 Emily - 1x30 - Will go into production. The K2 model arrives in 3/43 and gets a radar that doesn't active till 6/44.

H8K2-L Emily - 1x30 - Crazy range, crazy load. Will be the main IJN transport.

J1N1-S Irving - 2x30 - Not an amazing NF, but it arrives early. One factory will go into production and the other will switch to boost the P1Y2-S NF.

P1Y1 Frances - 3x30 - Replacement for the Betty/Nell. One factory will convert to production (and all remaining Betty/Nell production switch to Frances) while the remaining three factories push the Y2 model forward.

P1Y2 Frances - 1x30 - A third misclick :( I like this for the service rating of 2, even if the speed is lower.

P1Y2-S Frances - 2x30 - Mainstay IJN night fighter, will replace the Irving. Big, durable, has radar and armour and is slower than a B-29, I want this night fighter to just sit around all through the night to irritate B-29 raids.

Toka - 4x30 - Much like the Ki-115, this isn't a very good plane, but it's vastly superior to the biplane and monoplane trainers that arrive en-masse in the late game.

IJA

Fighters

Ki-102a Randy - 3x30 - Late war IJA fighter. Good all round plane so I want it in '44.

Ki-43-IIa Oscar - 2x30 - Will bring the IIa online then move up the Oscar tree, bringing each model online till it reaches the IV.

Ki-43 IIb Oscar - 1x30 - Another misclick, this time not as expensive. Will move to bring this line online up to the IV.

Ki-45 A Nick - 1x30 - Online in less than a month, and will go right into production. Will bulk out the IJA's frontline strength for the duration of the war. I don't like the Randy FB as I feel it's a marginal improvement.

Ki-61 Tony - 3x30 - Once repaired, will rush for the Ki-100-I Tony to get that online ASAP.

Ki-83 - 4x30 - Lots of potential for this big late war sweep/escort machine.

Ki-45 D Nick - 1x30 - Mainstay IJA NF model. It was a toss-up between this and the Dinah, but the Dinah is less durable and without armour, so the survivability of the Nick wins out. Will go right into production as the sole IJA night fighter. The Randy C just gets in too late.

Ki-84a Frank - 4x30 - Can't do without the Frank for the IJA. One factory will convert and the other three will push for the R model.

Ki-94 II - 5x30 - It's a beast of a late-war fighter. I like this ASAP.

Everything Else

Ki-48-IIb Lily - 1x30 - IJA dive bomber, will go right into production and all existing Lily production will convert to this model.

Ki-67 Peggy (T) - 4x30 - Big push for the Peggy T to give the IJA torpedo capability and to phase out all the older level bomber models.

Ki-74 Patsy - 4x30 - Nemo talked me into this. I'm not fully convinced, but I'm willing to give it a shot. It can hit out to 36 (!!!) hexes, so I hope to use it as deep raider or in the kamikaze role from rear-area bases. The massive range, good speed and absurd max altitude on this plane has me very excited about the possible tactical uses of this aircraft in the late gaem...

Ki-115a Tsurugi - 3x30 - Will move all to the 115b model. Late war dedicated kami. Not a great plane to be honest, but it's a massive quantative improvement for those squadrons that arrive using the Stella.

< Message edited by mind_messing -- 11/12/2018 4:50:00 PM >

Post #: 114
RE: Christmas Update - 11/12/2018 8:51:54 PM   
obvert

Nice to see this big organised list.

quote:

Air R&D

After nearly four months of war, I've settled on my final R&D program for this game. I'll give an overview of it and my reasoning behind it, as it's changed some from my initial projections.

IJN

Fighters

A6M3a Zero - 1x30 - This is moving on to the A6M5c

A6M5 Zero - 3x30 - Two are converted Rufe R&D factories, they'll be moving on to the A6M5c line shortly. Once the 5c is nearly operational status I'll move two over to the Sam.

A7M2 Sam - 2x30 - Will be bolstered by two more factories once the Zero 5c is online. Late-war IJN CAP and CV plane.

I did something like this and only got the Sam in 1/45. That is too late!! My factories were really slow to repair on this one. I'd add another from the beginning if I were doing it again.
quote:

J2M2 Jack - 1x30 - Will repair and move the M2 into production, then bring the M3 forward, then on to the M5.

J2M5 Jack - 1x30 - Should be the M2 model, misclick that has cost me supplies! Will go into production.

J7W1 Shinden - 3x30 - Late war IJN CAP.

N1K1-J George - 4x30 - Will repair, two factories will produce the K1 model, with two more moving the progress if the K2 and then K5 models forward.

I went a bit harder of rite George, and having not tried the N1K5 before, I'm VERY happy with it. Much better than the other models and is much more of a sweeper than I'd have though possible.
quote:

Everything Else

B6N2 Jill - 3x30 - Will go right into production. I don't see the value in bringing the N2a model closer just for radar that only actives on 10/44. Will replace the Kate until the Grace arrives, then it will be an exclusive land-based airframe.

I went for 2 x 30 on the Jill. I just don't use as many, and want the Grace to get in there for a TB by mid-44.

quote:

B7A2 Grace - 3x30 - I like this plane. Will go right into production and I plan to use it as the exclusive strike aircraft on my CV's.

C6N1 Myrt - 1x30 - Will go right into production as the N2 model is inferior. Amazing range for search and deep recon.

D4Y1 Judy - 4x30 - All will move to the Y4 model once repaired to get this airframe into action ASAP. Will replace the Val on CV's until the Grace arrives, then land-based use after that.

I also went a bit harder for the Judy early. I feel like I almost have too many now in 45, but I know that soon I'll feel differently.

quote:

D4Y1-C Judy - 1x30 - Will go into production to tide over the IJN recon squadrons till the Myrt arrives.

H8K1 Emily - 1x30 - Will go into production. The K2 model arrives in 3/43 and gets a radar that doesn't active till 6/44.

H8K2-L Emily - 1x30 - Crazy range, crazy load. Will be the main IJN transport.

J1N1-S Irving - 2x30 - Not an amazing NF, but it arrives early. One factory will go into production and the other will switch to boost the P1Y2-S NF.

P1Y1 Frances - 3x30 - Replacement for the Betty/Nell. One factory will convert to production (and all remaining Betty/Nell production switch to Frances) while the remaining three factories push the Y2 model forward.

P1Y2 Frances - 1x30 - A third misclick :( I like this for the service rating of 2, even if the speed is lower.

P1Y2-S Frances - 2x30 - Mainstay IJN night fighter, will replace the Irving. Big, durable, has radar and armour and is slower than a B-29, I want this night fighter to just sit around all through the night to irritate B-29 raids.

Seems like 2 x 30 is more than you need, with the J1N1 S and S-A going so early. The S-A really reacts all over the place, and does what I want from an NF. The Frances is good but I think they can be used together (and with the Nick/Randy).
quote:

Toka - 4x30 - Much like the Ki-115, this isn't a very good plane, but it's vastly superior to the biplane and monoplane trainers that arrive en-masse in the late game.

IJA

Fighters

Ki-102a Randy - 3x30 - Late war IJA fighter. Good all round plane so I want it in '44.

Get this plane in a few days. Looking forward to the max 44k.
quote:

Ki-43-IIa Oscar - 2x30 - Will bring the IIa online then move up the Oscar tree, bringing each model online till it reaches the IV.

Ki-43 IIb Oscar - 1x30 - Another misclick, this time not as expensive. Will move to bring this line online up to the IV.

Ki-45 A Nick - 1x30 - Online in less than a month, and will go right into production. Will bulk out the IJA's frontline strength for the duration of the war. I don't like the Randy FB as I feel it's a marginal improvement.

One thing to think about. I've made some Ki-45 A Nck and Randy Ki-102b into 45 in order to use MB groups and convert them to FB. That really helped with the turnover of the IJNAF in mid-July. I started by using Nicks, then added on the Randy. Now I have about 500 operational FB airframes for rear area defenses.
quote:

Ki-61 Tony - 3x30 - Once repaired, will rush for the Ki-100-I Tony to get that online ASAP.

If you have the upgraded air model the Ki-100 is a pretty good plane. Without it it's not great. I've just gotten the Ki-100-II though and I'm more impressed with that.
quote:

Ki-83 - 4x30 - Lots of potential for this big late war sweep/escort machine.

Ki-45 D Nick - 1x30 - Mainstay IJA NF model. It was a toss-up between this and the Dinah, but the Dinah is less durable and without armour, so the survivability of the Nick wins out. Will go right into production as the sole IJA night fighter. The Randy C just gets in too late.

You will probably need more than this. I'd research the Randy anyway. With only one factory going I might get it in late April 45. The Nick has been good so far, but the radar will really help for the IJAAF NF.
quote:

Ki-84a Frank - 4x30 - Can't do without the Frank for the IJA. One factory will convert and the other three will push for the R model.

Ki-94 II - 5x30 - It's a beast of a late-war fighter. I like this ASAP.

This is one I've never played with as it comes so late. When did you get it last/or anticipate getting it with this many factories?
quote:

Everything Else

Ki-48-IIb Lily - 1x30 - IJA dive bomber, will go right into production and all existing Lily production will convert to this model.

Ki-67 Peggy (T) - 4x30 - Big push for the Peggy T to give the IJA torpedo capability and to phase out all the older level bomber models.

Still find it a bit iffy as a TB, but it's actually good in ground attack with the TB bomb load of 2 x 250kg and 4 x 50kg. More chances to hit. It also is a great kami!!
quote:

Ki-74 Patsy - 4x30 - Nemo talked me into this. I'm not fully convinced, but I'm willing to give it a shot. It can hit out to 36 (!!!) hexes, so I hope to use it as deep raider or in the kamikaze role from rear-area bases. The massive range, good speed and absurd max altitude on this plane has me very excited about the possible tactical uses of this aircraft in the late gaem...

Very curious if this one is worth it. I put 2 x 30 into it, and I'm about to get it now. I won't make that many though at first as I've shifted the research to another model. I'm curious, but with Allied flak late, the potential for it as a kami is probably most likely to be a hit.

Has Nemo played with the more recent AA upgrades? That does change how the Japanese can operate late. One raid I lost fully half of the 150 bombers I sent to Shikuka to flak! (and didn't get any meaningful hits either)
quote:

Ki-115a Tsurugi - 3x30 - Will move all to the 115b model. Late war dedicated kami. Not a great plane to be honest, but it's a massive quantative improvement for those squadrons that arrive using the Stella.

Ahhh. So fun to plan. So hard to see it all hit the fan later!

Post #: 115
RE: Christmas Update - 11/12/2018 11:26:32 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

I did something like this and only got the Sam in 1/45. That is too late!! My factories were really slow to repair on this one. I'd add another from the beginning if I were doing it again.

I might two of the Zero factories onto the Sam once the Zero 5c. I feel the Sam is a pretty key airframe.

quote:

I went a bit harder of rite George, and having not tried the N1K5 before, I'm VERY happy with it. Much better than the other models and is much more of a sweeper than I'd have though possible.

I like the K1 for the altitude, and the K2 for the SR2. Not sure I see much in the K5 but I'll re-evaluate as this airframe progresses.

quote:

I went for 2 x 30 on the Jill. I just don't use as many, and want the Grace to get in there for a TB by mid-44.

I'd like a lot of Jills for land-based IJN squadrons that have been resized, as well as to tide the KB over to the Grace. Plus eventual kami duty. I really don't want to use Kates any longer than needed.

quote:

I also went a bit harder for the Judy early. I feel like I almost have too many now in 45, but I know that soon I'll feel differently.

Yeah, this is one airframe I like the look of. As with the Jill, it will be a land-based airframe mainly. The 800kg AP bomb the Y4 lugs is about the only thing that can smash through battleship deck armour.

quote:

Seems like 2 x 30 is more than you need, with the J1N1 S and S-A going so early. The S-A really reacts all over the place, and does what I want from an NF. The Frances is good but I think they can be used together (and with the Nick/Randy).

Yeah, actually hadn't considered that now that you mention it. Will move the second Irving S factory onto something else then.

I like the Frances NF for the big durability and the armor. My intention is just to keep NF's about as I'm taking the view that NF's don't really kill B-29s - it's OPS and flak that kill them. The NF's are just there for disruption. Or so I hope...

quote:

Get this plane in a few days. Looking forward to the max 44k.

I really like it, a bit slow to be a true multi-role fighter, but it can hold that max altitude advantage easily until you get the real high-alt beast (the Ki-94) into production.

I also like it as a mid-level anti-bomber CAP fighter. It has the second highest durability of all Japanese fighters and an amazing centreline armarment (ok the 37mm wont hit squat, but it has two 20mm guns to make up for that) and armour.

Even better is it's classed as a fighter, so loads of squadrons can convert, unlike the limited number of fighter bomber squadrons.

quote:

One thing to think about. I've made some Ki-45 A Nck and Randy Ki-102b into 45 in order to use MB groups and convert them to FB. That really helped with the turnover of the IJNAF in mid-July. I started by using Nicks, then added on the Randy. Now I have about 500 operational FB airframes for rear area defenses.

I intend to convert all possible squadrons to the Nick A as I can. They'll be trained in Air and LowNav and used in an anti-shipping role to give the Army Air Force something with some anti-shipping capability until the Lily dive bomber appears.

I don't think the Randy B is a worthwhile improvement to be honest. The Randy is slightly faster and has an extra 20mm gun (discounting the 57mm gun that's rarely going to hit, but that's about it. I'd rather keep the Nick for the superior range, altitude and climb.

quote:

You will probably need more than this. I'd research the Randy anyway. With only one factory going I might get it in late April 45. The Nick has been good so far, but the radar will really help for the IJAAF NF.

There's very little point bringing the Randy C forward. It arrives normally on 10/45, the same month as the radar it uses. Bringing it forward doesn't get you the radar. Without the radar I can't see much point in the investment.

quote:

This is one I've never played with as it comes so late. When did you get it last/or anticipate getting it with this many factories?

I can't recall when I got it in the last game, so I'll need to check. I think it was early '45. It's very much worthwhile, an absolute beast of a fighter.

quote:

Still find it a bit iffy as a TB, but it's actually good in ground attack with the TB bomb load of 2 x 250kg and 4 x 50kg. More chances to hit. It also is a great kami!!

I've actually been very impressed with the Peggy T as a torpedo bomber. It has a slight performance edge on the P1Y2 Frances and is a bit more durable. It's also IJA and as you say, it makes a great kami.

quote:

Very curious if this one is worth it. I put 2 x 30 into it, and I'm about to get it now. I won't make that many though at first as I've shifted the research to another model. I'm curious, but with Allied flak late, the potential for it as a kami is probably most likely to be a hit.

Has Nemo played with the more recent AA upgrades? That does change how the Japanese can operate late. One raid I lost fully half of the 150 bombers I sent to Shikuka to flak! (and didn't get any meaningful hits either)

So am I. I think it will make a serious difference to the pace of Allied operations.

It has the potential to fly out to 36 hexes. That's B-29 levels of range. You can, in theory, hit B-29's on the ground.

I'm with Nemo though, they should mainly be a kami platform. That way, you can use them on the frontlines and send them after rear-area convoys without CAP. Or you can use them from rear-area bases to hit invasion fleets from absurdly high altitude. I'm very interested in both employments, but especially the latter. In theory, you can have a armada of dedicated strike craft (set on low-mid altitude bands) on the frontlines opposing an Allied landing at, say, Luzon, and a bunch of Patsy squadrons based on Okinawa or Formosa. The Luzon strikes arrive first, and maybe they get through CAP and hit, maybe they don't. Then you get Patsy squadrons on kami attack missions flying at 39k feet. Allied CAP has been dragged down to the 9-15k envelope from the earlier strikes, so will the Allied CAP react in time...?

With such range, there's a lot of tactical options, and it's much more clicks for the Allied player in the late-game. Turn fatigue is a thing, and it causes mistakes. Mistakes gives Japan VP's, and giving Japan VP's is how the Allies don't win...

quote:

Ahhh. So fun to plan. So hard to see it all hit the fan later!

Eh, I'm not enthused about the dedicated kami planes as they're hard to employ due to limited range. I just like them as I don't mind losing them, they're a step up over the trainers and they're good "point defence" for a base. Set them up at a level 2 airbase on max range with a few floatplanes on naval search and they'll make it awkward for any Allied surface raiders to transit around.

Post #: 116
RE: Christmas Update - 11/13/2018 2:34:37 PM   
Lowpe

I love reading about r&d plans, great fun for any JFB!

Patsy does have a camera too...so there is a little more versatility there.

I don't think there is any practical game difference as a Kamikaze between Peggy and Peggy T.

Post #: 117
RE: Christmas Update - 11/13/2018 3:08:53 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I love reading about r&d plans, great fun for any JFB!

Patsy does have a camera too...so there is a little more versatility there.

I don't think there is any practical game difference as a Kamikaze between Peggy and Peggy T.

I think the Peggy T will fly with it's torpedo on a kami mission, which makes it slightly better as the torpedo will cause more damange than 250kg bombs.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 118
RE: Christmas Update - 11/13/2018 3:36:27 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

I think the Peggy T will fly with it's torpedo on a kami mission, which makes it slightly better as the torpedo will cause more damange than 250kg bombs.

I don't think that is the case. I believe Jills fly with their bomb load, and not torpedo load for example. I will have to double check.

Post #: 119
RE: Christmas Update - 11/13/2018 3:39:19 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

quote:

I don't think that is the case. I believe Jills fly with their bomb load, and not torpedo load for example. I will have to double check.

Yeah, I checked combat reports and saw Jills flying with bombload, but I wasn't sure if it was due to extended range. Check and let me know!

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Christmas Update Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI