I've had Distant Worlds for a while but just recently took the plunge, using Timotheus' awesome full-manual newbie guide. Was really fun to learn the ropes, but once I did (i.e. after my first game) it's become ridiculously easy.
I'm not even a big min-max or AI exploiting type player, but at a sensible rate of economic & colony expansion plus pretty basic military tactics, I'm just steamrolling everyone sooner or later. Tried to up the difficulty to Hard, still easy.
So my question is - what sort of setup do you find a challenge? Are there any mods that improve the balance & AI? Galaxy generation options & settings? Ideally I'd like a result more satisfying than giving the AI massive economic bonuses, but guess I'd take that too if it means being challenged on what's otherwise a fantastic game.
Thanks in advance!
My very first post in this forum was basically a complaint about difficulty, much like this one!
The suggestions from posters above are all good but I just want to reinforce house rules. There are some parts of the game, despite how great the game is, that are a little bit game breaking, like technology selling ... which we can't mod.
My personal house rules:
• No Homeworld Invasions are permitted until the 30 year mark and no use of sneaky fast troop transports (otherwise too easy, although harder now that what it used to be and I've done what I can in the AI Mod)
• Intelligence Agents must remain on Counter Intelligence duties (otherwise agents can sometimes become uber powerful particularly if they have concealment, there really should be a lower cap on skills)
• Recovered ships must be retired (as they are super powerful although with the AI Mod the AI explores much better so more will be found and fight against you)
• Debris field ships may not be recovered until they are within my territorial influence (as a huge research booster which the AI is uber slow to exploit, nothing I can Mod here unfortunately)
• Exploration ships must be on Automatic, no micro (stop and move to greatly increases exploration speed and goody finding)
• Cannot attack the Eruktah Refugees until they reveal themselves as the Shakturi (pure cheese)