Sol Levante - B Mod Scen. 199 - AlevsRoby (Jap AAR)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

AlessandroD

Sol Levante - B Mod Scen. 199 - AlevsRoby (Jap AAR)

Post by AlessandroD »

Hello all,

I'm going to start a new game with Roberto aka Clemenza (Italian forum, not sure here) and we prefer an historical approach to the game instead the more competitive one, therefore the VPs are irrelevant [:)]

Initially we thought to play a DBB-C game but after reading the B Mod we agreed to start this one, we especially like the China changes and new ships durability, anyhow more details can be found here

I will play the Japanese side and it will be a relaxed game, very low turn rate and no HRs.

I have very little experience but who cares, finish the game would be the real victory!

Scenario 199 (Scenario 1 modified)
Extended Map
New Asian Roads
Stack Limits

For anyone interested, the mod can be found here

pws1225

RE: Sol Levante - B Mod Scen. 199 - AlevsRoby (Jap AAR)

Post by pws1225 »

Best of luck to you, Ale. Enjoy your game. I may have to learn to read Italian. [:D]
Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

I hope you have an enjoyable contest.
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

If you understand my spaghetti English you are good anyway [:D]

Thanks guys!

Roberto, after this post: [:-]

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

If you write more American than English, you should be all set. [;)]
[center]Image[/center]
Falken

Post by Falken »

Good luck AlessandroD

You're going to love the B-MOD....Have 2 games going with it and luv it. Big difference from DBB, but I think you will enjoy Brian's point of view.
AlessandroD

War Plans

Post by AlessandroD »

I have no doubt that I will love this mod, after all is WitP-AE with improvements, it's a win-win [:)]

I have finished the B Mod installation and several cosmetic changes yesterday night, now I'm ready to take the plunge!

First thing to address is the overall strategy, then all the tactical decisions will follow.

The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere is well known as concept, therefore the main objective will be taking all territories inside this perimeter, then, oh well, then I have three different war plans:

1) India
Pros
With several refineries in Burma the necessary fuel for the offensive should be fine
Decent amount of supply produced in Burma
The Bay of Bengal can be virtually isolated taking Ceylon

Cons
Big country, lot of terrain to cover
Easy for the Allied to keep it supplied and to bring a good amount of reinforcements
Can be a trap for several important IJA units

2) Australia
Pros
North of the country easy to invade
Darwin, Townsville and Rockhampton in Japanese hands can delay the Allied counter-offensive towards important bases
Not so easy to bring overwhelming forces for the enemy

Cons
Big country, key bases dispersed and not all of them are possible to grab
Great amount of ships to keep all things running in the proper way
Fair chance to have all units trapped

3) Fiji-Samoa Islands
Pros
Stretch the already long America-Australia supply line
Not necessary to bring lot of troops
Scope more focused and easy to obtain

Cons
Very extended supply line
Everything depend on naval supremacy
Long chain of islands to keep well defended otherwise an Allied strike can cut off several bases at once

Of course there are other targets but I prefer to stick to them.

I'm not sure which one will be the winner, also my ships losses and enemy behaviour can change the overall picture...I'm having fun even if I don't have played a single turn yet [:D]
sanderz

RE: War Plans

Post by sanderz »

Bearing in mind the big increase in Chinese forces/supply in this mod what are your plans there?
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

Good question...I know that several people don't like this theater but I personally found it very interesting, therefore I'm more than happy to have all these headaches [8D]

I don't have the right picture and I don't want to check the detailed situation, anyhow with more units and a good supply flow an aggresive Allied player can even think to counter-attack the Japanese.
Surely I will bring some units from frozen theaters like Manchukuo or Korea.

I aspect to see lot of action here, more details later.

After an in-depth analysis (read as after a couple glasses of wine) I made my choice: war plan 3.
The reason is twofold, more logistic and more battles at sea, i.e. more fun [:D]
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I'm trying to install this mod, but can't seem to get it to run. First I don't know where to send the pwhexe.dat, pwzlink.dat and pwzone.dat files that are in the new Asian roads zip file. Also when I try to open it, it gives me an error of not able to load map data... Can someone clue me in? Thanks, Hal

PS Good luck AlessandroD
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

Hello dr.hal,

if you follow these steps you should be fine:

- copy of the game updated to the last patch (1.7.11.24 patch), anyhow is not mandatory you can use the last beta patch as Big B said here
- unzip the extended map in the ART folder and overwrite
- unzip the AlliedShip_Back, alliedship_transp, japship_back and japshipshills_transp in the ART folder and overwrite
- unzip the B-Mod-AE_Aircraft in the ART folder and overwrite
- unzip the Babes_Extended Map New Asian Roads With SL in the main game folder (usually C:\Matrix Games/War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition) and overwrite
- unzip the Scen199v1_13 in the SCEN folder
- open the game and select the last scenario in the list

Maybe you got an error because are you trying to open the Scen191_STOCK MAP instead?

Hope this helps [:)]
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Plan 3's biggest drawback to me is it doesn't help your economy in any way. No significant resource, LI/HI, and/or oil found down there. It will drain your fuel and supplies for little gain.

At least go for western Australia before you put plan 3 into effect. Make it even more difficult for him to get stuff in and out of Australia from the west.

Economics Minister Benoit
[center]Image[/center]
Big B

Post by Big B »

Hi dr.hal

The pwhexe.dat, pwzlink.dat and pwzone.dat files go in the game root folder.
Full installation instructions for the extended map may be found here at DaBabes site, Andrew Brown's Extended Map page: https://sites.google.com/site/dababeswitpae/map-and-art

Best of luck [:)]
ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I'm trying to install this mod, but can't seem to get it to run. First I don't know where to send the pwhexe.dat, pwzlink.dat and pwzone.dat files that are in the new Asian roads zip file. Also when I try to open it, it gives me an error of not able to load map data... Can someone clue me in? Thanks, Hal

PS Good luck AlessandroD
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

I'm interested in potentially playing B-mod in the future and would love to see its differences vis-a-vis DBB-C. Looking forward to how this one plays out.
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

Dear Minister Benoit,

your advice is relevant and sound, but unfortunately his Majestic, Semi-God, Emperor Hirohito is willing to have fun at Suva next summer, and no one wants postpone his holidays

Best Regards
IJTA
Imperial Japanese Travel Agency

To be honest I never thought to take Perth and you are right about no VPs/resources gain, anyhow given that is a game with an historical imprint (or sort of) I'd like to try the Operation FS instead.

Anachro, I hope you will find what you need to know about this mod, feel free to ask specific questions.

Attachments
Pacific_Wa..Advances.jpg
Pacific_Wa..Advances.jpg (277.06 KiB) Viewed 472 times
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Thanks Big B and of course AlessandroD I appreciate it, I'll try to launch tomorrow once I rework the folders. Should be interesting. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks again. Hal
AlessandroD

Burma

Post by AlessandroD »

Set the overal strategy, it's time to start the tactical plans, starting from the left of the map:

Burma
Rangoon is a perfect base for further operation in this area, Magwe has 300 oil and there are enough refineries to produce all the needed fuel, moreover can be used as secondary AF.
Port Blair will be important for a long range PA base, I can even think to use paratroopers for an early occupation.

Target date: March 1942

Future objectives:
Ceylon is a good target but requires a considerable effort, not my priority but heavy British ship losses.

Forces involved:
Army
15th Army will initially fight alone, 55th Divison is one infantry regiment down (it was intended for Guam but I prefer to divert it to Burma immediately), 21st Medium FA Bn and 33rd Division at Nagasaki.
Then some support units from other armies will join the party:
1st Raiding Regiment at Kagoshima, initially target Victoria Point
6th Tank Regiment at Cam Ranh Bay (to exploit its speed taking Tavoi and Mergui)
1st RF Gun Bn at Samah
3rd Mortar Bn at Samah
31st Field AA Bn at Samah
32nd Field AA Bn TF 94
21st Field AA Coy at Samah
7th Field AF Cons. Bn TF 93
8th Field AF Cons. Bn at Samah
33rd Road Const. Coy at Samah
7th JAAF BF at Kompong Chhnang
12th JAAF BF at Samah
97th JAAF BF at Cam Ranh Bay
22nd JAAF AF Bn at Samah
8th JAAF AF Coy at Cam Ranh Bay
10th JAAF AF Coy at Cam Ranh Bay

I don't know my opponent and therefore I have no idea if he will use the British/Indian troops on Burma or not, in the former case my units won't be enough.

Air
3rd Air Division
59th Sentai (F) Ki-43-Ia Oscar
64th Sentai (F) Ki-43-Ib Oscar
64th Sentai Det (F) Ki-27b Nate, pilots reserve and will start to train rookie pilots
47th I.F. Chutai (F) Ki-44 Tojo
Both Sentai have crack pilots (average 90 exp) and they will fight the AVG squadrons.

We play with PDU ON but I will follow the historical upgrades, only after the last upgrade I will check if further changes will be needed (I don't want to build 2-3 fighter types for all squadrons).
Therefore this is the reason why I'm sending the best aircrafts/pilots to meet the Allied elite (no Zero, they will fight in the SRA).

27th Sentai (LB) Ki-51 Sonia, in ASW training when not needed in ground support
31st Sentai (LB) Ki-30 Ann, in ground support (best range more payload)
89th I.F. Chutai (LB) Ki-32 Mary, in ground suport until MB will arrive, then training duty.

50th I.F. Chutai (R) Ki-15-II Babs
50th I.F. Chutai Det. (R) Ki-46-II Dinah

Navy
2nd Fleet Naval HQ at Samah, will be based at Rangoon
Submarines Force 5
SS I-159 at Hiroshima
SS I-160 at Hiroshima
SS RO-33 at Hiroshima
SS RO-34 at Hiroshima (all of them will act in Java Sea until Singapore will fall).
1 xAK Husimi class will be converted in AS
1 xAK Husimi class will be converted in AR

Edit: added xAK Husimi conversions.

Attachments
Burma.jpg
Burma.jpg (698.84 KiB) Viewed 471 times
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: AlessandroD

I have no doubt that I will love this mod, after all is WitP-AE with improvements, it's a win-win [:)]

I have finished the B Mod installation and several cosmetic changes yesterday night, now I'm ready to take the plunge!

First thing to address is the overall strategy, then all the tactical decisions will follow.

The Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere is well known as concept, therefore the main objective will be taking all territories inside this perimeter, then, oh well, then I have three different war plans:

1) India
Pros
With several refineries in Burma the necessary fuel for the offensive should be fine
Decent amount of supply produced in Burma
The Bay of Bengal can be virtually isolated taking Ceylon

Cons
Big country, lot of terrain to cover
Easy for the Allied to keep it supplied and to bring a good amount of reinforcements
Can be a trap for several important IJA units
Another big con: large GAR requirements. difficult to meet these without really draining your active units.

Not suggesting you don't go to India, just be sure you have a plan for the garrisons ....
Pax
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Don't know what I did wrong, but I redid everything you wrote and that did it!!! I've got it up and running, thanks.
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

Thanks Paxmondo for the advice, in fact I didn't thought about the garrison requirements.

Hal, happy to read that everything work as intended, what do you think about the B Mod?

Malaya detailed tactics are coming...

Return to “After Action Reports”