Anti-fighter weapons

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

RogerBacon

Anti-fighter weapons

Post by RogerBacon »

I've always assumed only point defense weapons and other fighters could shoot at fighters. Are there any other weapons that can damage fighters? I usually use missiles and I know they never fire at fighters.
On a related note, I was reading an old thread and found out that point defense weapons don't help against missiles at all. That came as a surprise. I mean I never saw them firing but I just assumed they were doing something anyway.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
btd64

RE: Anti-fighter weapons

Post by btd64 »

Area weapons help, I think. Can't remember....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
RogerBacon

Post by RogerBacon »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

Of course. Thanks. I forgot about those after my first disastrous experience using them when I didn't know they affected my own ships too.
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

Beams and Rail will shoot at fighters. PD only attacks fighters and shuttles.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: General Patton

IIRC, AoE weapons don't affect fighters. I'll have a play to test it, but I believe this was addressed in the forums a while ago.

Offhand, I suspect that Elliot didn't include fighters in AoE due to performance impact. And balance - since a swarm of carriers could be negated with a couple of AoE equipped ships swatting them all out of space at once.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Unforeseen

Post by Unforeseen »

Ugh Area weapons are horrible. Always killing allied ships..they are only useful for wiping out enemy trade hubs (Killing hundreds of private sector ships at the same time at a space port)

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”