How do you edit the PWHEX file?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

GaryChildress

How do you edit the PWHEX file?

Post by GaryChildress »

It's been a long time since I've delved into the PWHEX file. I've forgotten how to edit it. I don't think I've ever edited the AE version. Can anyone advise me on how to edit the PWHEX file so I can make my own map?

Thanks.
GaryChildress

RE: How do you edit the PWHEX file?

Post by GaryChildress »

I tried opening the file with notepad but it's all gibberish. I also tried changing it into a CSV file but that was all gibberish too. Is there a way to open up the file so I can make edits?

Thanks.
tbothy

Post by tbothy »

tm.asp?m=2632394&mpage=1&key=񋹕

There may be even a later version.... I think I have seen 0.7 somewhere....

found it tm.asp?m=2922596
dwbradley

Post by dwbradley »

Nearly a year ago, El Cid contacted me and requested some bug fixes and some changes to accommodate his elderly laptop. The latest releases for the three editors are included in the zip file at this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d0xed5dfwdf26 ... 7.zip?dl=0

The previous incarnations of the editors are included also. Please accept and use these for what they are. That is, simple (read: crude) editors that allow you to do some things with the map data files but probably not everything you might wish for. To the best of my understanding they have received use from very few folks, hence they are relatively untested. Please back up anything you wish to change.

Good luck with your editing and cheers!

Dave Bradley
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Many thanks. I'll give the latest version a try! [&o]
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

The latest changes are at
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ap7XOIkiBuUwhPxFuII1ZkrVQefJBQ

These are all pwhexe.dat changes
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

ORIGINAL: dwbradley

Nearly a year ago, El Cid contacted me and requested some bug fixes and some changes to accommodate his elderly laptop. The latest releases for the three editors are included in the zip file at this link:

The previous incarnations of the editors are included also. Please accept and use these for what they are. That is, simple (read: crude) editors that allow you to do some things with the map data files but probably not everything you might wish for. To the best of my understanding they have received use from very few folks, hence they are relatively untested. Please back up anything you wish to change.

Dave Bradley
Hi Dave,

it seems the program doesnt fit well on my screen since I cannot see the upper menus in order to load a pwhex file on it..is any way to resize it to fit on the screen?

Cheers,

Vipersp
Attachments
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (237.85 KiB) Viewed 218 times
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

The size issue remains to this day. I use the older version of the editor most of the time,
and the newer one when certain things are needed not possible with the older one. I prefer
to see the whole screen easily - so I use version 7 most of the time. But one can navigate
with difficulty in version 8. For features missing from 7, I use 8. A different workaround
is to use Vista and/or a different monitor. The SCEN editor has a few features that ONLY
work with Vista, and Bradley didn't write it - so he can't fix it. I keep XP and Vista machines -
offline to avoid infection - for special tasks.
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

ORIGINAL: el cid again

The size issue remains to this day. I use the older version of the editor most of the time,
and the newer one when certain things are needed not possible with the older one. I prefer
to see the whole screen easily - so I use version 7 most of the time. But one can navigate
with difficulty in version 8. For features missing from 7, I use 8. A different workaround
is to use Vista and/or a different monitor. The SCEN editor has a few features that ONLY
work with Vista, and Bradley didn't write it - so he can't fix it. I keep XP and Vista machines -
offline to avoid infection - for special tasks.
Thanks for the clarification Sid;
dwbradley

Post by dwbradley »

ORIGINAL: Vipersp

Dave Bradley
Hi Dave,

it seems the program doesnt fit well on my screen since I cannot see the upper menus in order to load a pwhex file on it..is any way to resize it to fit on the screen?

Cheers,

Vipersp
Hi Vipersp,
Sorry to hear you are having difficulties with the programs. Questions about the editiors come so rarely that it can take quite a bit of time to dive back down into the details and see what is going on. Before I do that let me ask a couple of questions, if you don't mind?

The programs require a fixed window of x by y pixels. 1280 x 1024 for the 0.7 version and 1024 x 640 for the 0.8 version. If your screen size is smaller than that there is a problem. The 0.8 version I made for Cid may also have scroll bars (IIRC).

1. Does the problem exist for all of the versions of the editor?
2. Is it possible that you have some Windows scaling factor turned on that MAY be making the window bigger than it needs to be?

Cheers
Dave
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

Hi Dave,

My laptop resolution is 1366X768; the version at your download link is the .5 so I am not sure about the screen requirements for that one;

Cheers

Vipersp
Dili

Post by Dili »

For me the 0.7 opens okay but the 0.8 open with scroll bars which are unnecessary in my case.
dwbradley

Post by dwbradley »

Hi Dave,

My laptop resolution is 1366X768; the version at your download link is the .5 so I am not sure about the screen requirements for that one;

Cheers

Vipersp
Hi Vipersp,
Me neither (version 0.5 was a long time ago) [:)]

Are you downloading from this link?

Cheers
Dave
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

Hi Dave,

Cheers

Vipersp
Hi Vipersp,
Me neither (version 0.5 was a long time ago) [:)]

Are you downloading from this link?

Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,

Nope..this dropbox link is dead; I got it at this post :

Cheers

Viper
dwbradley

Post by dwbradley »

[/quote]

Hi Dave,

Nope..this dropbox link is dead; I got it at this post :

Cheers

Viper
[/quote]

To quote the late, great Ed McMahon, "You are correct sir". Dropbox had not been used for a while and is giving me troubles today. Let's see if this one works (may be edited several times until I give up and try another way):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0fvfdq99ecro ... 7.zip?dl=0
Cheers
Dave

edit: OK, screw dropbox, I am tired of messing with it.

edit2: PM sent Vipersp; respond with your email address and I will get the files to you the old-fashioned way. Gotta go run some errands so might be later today
RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

I wrote a map editor program for this.
Dili

Post by Dili »

Yeah people should look at Mapgen too, here is the Mediterranean Map - this are the colors that define the terrain types.

Dili

Post by Dili »

Here is a close up of the Libya,Egypt main roads, not finished yet. As can be seen it is the Hexside that is painted here. The color defines the road type.

RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

This is the current terrain dump from the stock PWHEXE.dat in MAPGEN v2.00 which I'm working on, to try and fix a memory error Dili is having.

On my relatively modern i7 (from 2015ish), it takes about 115 seconds to dump all the PWHEXE.dat information to map images.

This is a dump of terrain types.

Attachments
TERRAIN_BIG.gif
TERRAIN_BIG.gif (155.38 KiB) Viewed 215 times
RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

Dump of the Malaria Zone

Attachments
Malaria.gif
Malaria.gif (158.85 KiB) Viewed 215 times

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”