GD 1938 Update, new weather

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

ernieschwitz

GD 1938 Update, new weather

Post by ernieschwitz »

Some of you might have been waiting impatiently on this update, and I can understand why.

This update is the one that modifies the weather from it's previous version; 2.23d, and its emergency patch 2.23m2. This is 2.23r.

So what are the differences.

The weather is less harsh than before. Mud no longer gives ANY readiness loss. Snow has been reduced to a 25% readiness hit. Urban areas, forts and fortifications no longer have a readiness hit either. Unfortunately it was not possible to make this hit preventable for airfields and ports. So they will still recieve the standard hit. And yes, planes and ships will be hit too. There is still stormy weather at sea, but only during winter turns, in those areas. Deserts give a readiness penalty of 15%, to anyone in them.

Now before anybody goes of the reservation, with comments about how bad this is, etc. I will remind you all that this is better conditions than any other game that tries to cover a similar scale of warfare. WaW doesn't allow planes to fly during mud for instance, and neither does the excellent mod Triumph of the Reich. The penalties are much harsher in those scenarios too. So just think about that.

Of course, these affects can be mitigated. There are researches that reduce the effect on readiness by 10% and completely removes it in snow conditions. The same holds true for the for deserts, where you also with the right research can remove the penalty.

Also, it is now possible to build in snow and mud hexes, that you could in similar unaffected areas. There is one graphics issue that might confuse you. For instance when you build an airfield, in snow, the hex will seemingly revert to plains. And in fact it does revert to plains. BUT at the end of your turn it goes back to snow. So there is no avoiding the weather effect this way.

Also a nasty bug, that allowed motorized vehicles to move into mud swamps has been fixed. I bet most of you hadn't even noticed. Now you cannot move into mud swamps. Again, I'll remind you that you can move into mud hexes with vehicles, something you in other scenarios of this type would not be able to.

Final note: This is the first of two patches, that address different issues. The next patch (which will be playtested on The Generals HQ first) will look into changing some balancing issues.

I hope you enjoy this new version.

EDIT: Please note, this version contains new graphics, so if you are playing a multiplayer game, not only the host needs to have it.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
cpdeyoung

RE: GD 1938 Update, new weather

Post by cpdeyoung »

Great stuff Claus,

Actually there is a game starting at TWC : The Wargaming Club. You will find posts about TWC on this forum.

Thanks again,

Chuck
RufusTFirefly

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Sounds great.
Have not yet played one of the versions with weather effect. Want to finish the running games first. But I am curious to see how senario has changed.

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Unfortunately it was not possible to make this hit preventable for airfields and ports. So they will still recieve the standard hit. And yes, planes and ships will be hit too.

In winter water in ports might freeze. So it makes sense to have an impact on ports and ships. And anybody knows that snow and snowfall can drastically disrupt any flight plans. So I cannt see any problem with these effects being active in the scenario.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Discovered a small graphics bug. Airbases during the turns when there is mud in a region, disappear (graphics only, the base is still there) and ports are turned into airbases (graphics only, the port is still a port)....

So I have made a new version available: 2.23s.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
lordlau1

Post by lordlau1 »

Great work, once again, Claus.

Thanks so much. We are currently playing this new version now.
Culthrasa

Post by Culthrasa »

where do i get this scenario? watching Tortuga's AAR now, and like to try it out...
Tac2i

Post by Tac2i »

You get this scenario and many others at: http://www.vrdesigns.net/community.php.
ORIGINAL: Culthrasa

where do i get this scenario? watching Tortuga's AAR now, and like to try it out...
Tac2i (formerly webizen)

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”