How to use the "5" key?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

T0mcat

How to use the "5" key?

Post by T0mcat »

When on the tactical map, the 5 key is used to show supply paths from a base. Alas, there are some quirks connected with it...

- even on my 3.4 ghz 4 core intel PC it takes at least a minute until the little white numbers show up
- while the first press of the button results in a nice "click" sound, I have not yet found an indication if another press of the button turns the functionality off again, resulting in me usually saving the game, then using the option, then closing and restarting the game from the saved point.

So, how would I use the 5 key properly to avoid complications?
MakeeLearn

RE: How to use the "5" key?

Post by MakeeLearn »

I hit "5" check the supply, then I click it off move the map( or pick new base) and "5" again for supply.

It does take time to calculate all the hexes.

HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Map scrolling slows terribly no matter how powerful the machine (4.7g 8 core w/ 32g ram here) when any of the graphic overlays are turned on.

I get the same results with roads and with hex side control turned on.
Hans

T0mcat

Post by T0mcat »

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

I hit "5" check the supply, then I click it off move the map( or pick new base) and "5" again for supply.

This "click it off" part seems to be my problem. After the numbers show up and turn green, I usually press "5" again, to toggle the display off. But there's no "click" sound to acknowledge the key press and usually nothing happens. Map scroll works, when a region with only a few marked hexes is displayed and clicking on a different base results in a new numbers display...

...but somehow I can't turn that display off (at least not, by pressing the "5" key again).
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: T0mcat

This "click it off" part seems to be my problem. After the numbers show up and turn green, I usually press "5" again, to toggle the display off. But there's no "click" sound to acknowledge the key press and usually nothing happens. Map scroll works, when a region with only a few marked hexes is displayed and clicking on a different base results in a new numbers display...

...but somehow I can't turn that display off (at least not, by pressing the "5" key again).

Hmmm, I get the click for off and on, using the keyboard "5". (numbers above the letters). Using the number pad "5" I get no action and no click.

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I have the same result as Makeelean, if you use the number across the top of the keyboard, NOT the set off to the right, it works fine.....
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Hmmm, I get the click for off and on, using the keyboard "5". (numbers above the letters). Using the number pad "5" I get no action and no click.

Although they give the same result, a '5', the keyboard mapping to obtain it is not the same. Most programs check which key is pressed and not what the result of that press should. This is done by using the keyboard numbers assign to the keys on your keyboard.

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Map scrolling slows terribly no matter how powerful the machine (4.7g 8 core w/ 32g ram here) when any of the graphic overlays are turned on.

I get the same results with roads and with hex side control turned on.

Also search arcs and patrol areas. One to speed things up is to use the mini map.
Lord_Calidor

Post by Lord_Calidor »

I found 5 to be somewhat of a cheat key. Even with FOW On, it will show, or rather, will NOT show supply numbers in hexes occupied by enemy forces even a few hexes away from my nearest units, which have not yet been recon'd/spotted.
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

ORIGINAL: T0mcat

When on the tactical map, the 5 key is used to show supply paths from a base. Alas, there are some quirks connected with it...

- even on my 3.4 ghz 4 core intel PC it takes at least a minute until the little white numbers show up
- while the first press of the button results in a nice "click" sound, I have not yet found an indication if another press of the button turns the functionality off again, resulting in me usually saving the game, then using the option, then closing and restarting the game from the saved point.

So, how would I use the 5 key properly to avoid complications?

I have no problem porcessing the numbers on my 2010 Lenovo laptop. Use the switches from the ReadMe file to boost the performance of your rig.
chemkid

Post by chemkid »

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Forgot exactly the color meaning.....Looked in what's new - and no mention of number colors. Search neither.

Clarification:
Hot-key '5' supply path:
Red numbers?
White numbers?
Green Numbers?

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

That sounds like a graphical glitch. The numbers should be white. Whenever your numbers show up green or red just scroll the screen to and fro and the numbers should revert to white. Works for me.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: Yaab

That sounds like a graphical glitch. The numbers should be white. Whenever your numbers show up green or red just scroll the screen to and fro and the numbers should revert to white. Works for me.

That does seem to clear it up, almost drove me "sane" trying to figure this out.

T0mcat

Post by T0mcat »

And it seems I found a way to handle the problem.

1. Mark an empty hex close to the base I want to check
2. press "5" and hear a nice click sound
3. click on base I want to check
4. wait a bit for numbers to show up
5. click an empty hex again
6. press "5" again and hear a click sound and have the function turned off...

Seems the problem for me came from using the "5" key with a base already selected... or rather by doing the second key-press with a base STILL selected

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”