From: El Paso, TX
After you complete the mandatory update above, there's still a lot more to consider. As you can see from the graphic below, Andy has created eight new scenarios and updated 6 more (dark green). Half of the new scenarios are designated by a "Tier", and for those unfamiliar with Andy's terminology, that indicates a greater degree of difficulty (usually in the form of more assets for the enemy). The prior terminology was "Nasty" (Tier 2) and "Nasty Nasty" (Tier 3), often used interchangeably. A few cautionary notes:
- Both Ironman Tier 2 scenarios and the Allied Ironman Tier 3 (the first 3 in the table below, scenario numbers highlighted in red) use the same scenario slots as the two Ironman Tier 1 scenarios. So you *should* create new scenario slots for those. Or just not add them until/unless you want to play the higher difficulty level Tiers. Personally I would recommend using a new Scenario number because even if you overwrite the Tier 1 files, all the Tier 1 AI variants still remain unchanged (hence the sections highlighted in yellow).
- Allied Ironman Tier 3 (third row) is especially problematic as it uses the AI file from Allied Ironman Tier 2 (second row), so you have to overwrite the Scen 17 files first with Tier 2 and THEN with Tier 3 in order to use this one.
- The Japanese Ironman Tier 3 has two scripts, both of which occupy the Scen 104 slot, so it's either/or with these unless (again), you give one of them a different Scenario number.
All but the last five are found in dedicated threads (the download files are all zip, not exe, so you'll have to manually unzip them into the /SCEN directory):
1) Scenario 10 (4/6/2013) Ironman Nasty Tier2 (vs. Jap AI)
2) Scenario 17 (5/6/2013) Ironman Nasty Tier2 (vs. Allied AI)
3) Scenario 17 (5/6/2013) Ironman Nasty Nasty Tier3 (vs. Allied AI)
4) Scenario 20 (7/8/2013) Marianas Ironman (vs. Jap AI)
5) Scenario 25 (12/15/2013) Mountbatten's Folly (vs. Jap AI)
6) Scenario 60 (5/31/2014) Ironman Nasty Nasty Tier3 (vs. Jap AI)
7) Scenario 33 (5/17/2015) Revised Scenario1 (v4)
8) Scenario 120 (5/24/2016) May 1942 Start (v4)
9) Scenario 121 (5/29/2016) May 1943 Start (v5)
10) Andy Mac's "I need Help - AI Testing" on 3/5/2016 is a thread focused on revising existing scenarios, although they are given new scenario numbers. Specifically contains revisions for Scens 1, 2, 10 (Tier 1), & 60 (Tier 3).
- Scenario 100 (3/5/2016) Revised Scenario 1 (See Post #1)
- Scenario 101 (3/5/2016) Revised Scenario 2 (See Post #2)
- Scenario 102 (3/5/2016) Revised Scenario 10 Tier1 (See Post #3)
- Scenario 104 (3/21/2016) Revised Scenario 60 Tier3 Script1 (See Post #76 & Post #77-Art)
- Scenario 104 (4/21/2016) Revised Scenario 60 Tier3 Script2 (See Post #143)
11) For compatibility with Babes Lite, please read these comments from US87891. For more information on the popular DaBabes series of mods, please read about them here.
12) Andy also created a scenario specifically designed for DaBigBabes (Version A). This scenario can ONLY be played as Allies (human) against Japanese AI:
- Scenario 40 (11/6/2013) DaBabes Quick and Dirty Ironman Nasty Port
Lastly, here's some additional advice/comment with regard to scenarios:
- AndyMac's AI Development Tutorial (for those who want to work on their own custom AI - contains spoilers)
- When playing against the AI, you should always use a setting of Hard or Very Hard, as otherwise the AI will have problems providing supply to island bases.
- The michaelm Public Betas affect the exe ONLY, and never include AI updates. So by all means avail yourself of the new Beta updates as they are developed independently of AI Scenario changes. In other words, the latest Beta will work smoothly with any Scenario.
- As reported by Yaab, the variants for Scenario 1 (and by extension, the others which use a large number of variants) can be subdivided into two AI Activity categories: More historical (variants 1-6) and Less historical (variants 7-20). To only play one of the "more historical scenarios, just delete all variants aei007.dat and above.
- In order to "pre-select" a specific scenario variant when starting a new game (as opposed to relying on random chance):
1) Choose the variant you want to play (we'll illustrate with AI File #5 for Scenario #1)
2) Create a folder called "Hold" in the SCEN directory
3) Copy all the Scen1 AI files into the new "War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\SCEN\Hold" folder
4) In the SCEN folder, delete the aei001.dat file
5) In the SCEN folder, rename aei001-05.dat to aei001.dat
6) In the SCEN folder, delete all the aei001-xx.dat alternate files
7) When you start a new campaign, it will use the (renamed) aei001-05.dat scenario variant
8) After launching the new campaign, move all the files in the "Hold" folder back to the "SCEN" folder (and say "yes" to all overwrites)
< Message edited by Kull -- 4/23/2018 2:36:26 PM >