Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> 19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed - 3/11/2017 5:51:58 PM   
wings7

Some of these really opened up my eyes...
http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/19-creepiest-abandoned-cities-you-never-knew-existed/ss-AAo7lB0?li=BBnbklE#image=1

Patrick

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Post #: 1
RE: 19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed - 3/11/2017 6:00:57 PM   
zakblood

thanks as always

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 2
RE: 19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed - 3/11/2017 7:23:15 PM   
Orm

Thank you for sharing.

A few of those I knew about. I suppose that there are plenty of abandoned cities, or towns, all around the world.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: 19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed - 3/11/2017 8:30:07 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

Some of these really opened up my eyes...
http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/19-creepiest-abandoned-cities-you-never-knew-existed/ss-AAo7lB0?li=BBnbklE#image=1

Patrick
warspite1

I will never forget the name Ouradour-Sur-Glane from the wonderful World At War documentary. It was images from this village that opened the series.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 4
RE: 19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed - 3/14/2017 6:05:40 PM   
Orm

Here is a example of a Swedish abandoned town. Messaure was a town created for housing workers when the nearby power plant was built. It lasted for a while after the plant was finished but was eventually abandoned.

A picture of the town square. The sign is where the library was located.

Attachment (1)

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 5
RE: 19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed - 3/14/2017 6:21:07 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Here is a example of a Swedish abandoned town. Messaure was a town created for housing workers when the nearby power plant was built. It lasted for a while after the plant was finished but was eventually abandoned.

A picture of the town square. The sign is where the library was located.

Do you know how far the town was from the plant site? What was start and complete date of the plant? Did you take this photo? Thanks for posting!

Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 6
RE: 19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed - 3/14/2017 6:37:00 PM   
Orm

The picture is from the Swedish wiki page. Below is a picture of the actual power plant.

I do not know how far from the plant the town is. But I suspect it is fairly close.

The plant was built between 1957 and 1962. The town was then used when building several other power plants (8). The peak population was 2300 and the town was finally abandoned 1980 and the houses were transported to other locations.

I found this page when I looked after a Swedish ghost town that I visited in my younger days but forgot the name of it. Maybe I will get back to that one later.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 7
RE: 19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed - 3/14/2017 6:42:07 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

The peak population was 2300 and the town

Does 2300 pop qualify as a town? In Finland are locations with way more than that, and those are only municipals.

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 8
RE: 19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed - 3/14/2017 6:50:51 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

The peak population was 2300 and the town

Does 2300 pop qualify as a town? In Finland are locations with way more than that, and those are only municipals.

The population size of cities and towns seems to be fluid.

And municipality has more to do with how to govern an area than the size of the population or area. For example, Stockholm is considered a municipality.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 9
RE: 19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed - 3/14/2017 7:25:48 PM   
wings7

quote:

The picture is from the Swedish wiki page. Below is a picture of the actual power plant.

I do not know how far from the plant the town is. But I suspect it is fairly close.

The plant was built between 1957 and 1962. The town was then used when building several other power plants (8). The peak population was 2300 and the town was finally abandoned 1980 and the houses were transported to other locations.

I found this page when I looked after a Swedish ghost town that I visited in my younger days but forgot the name of it. Maybe I will get back to that one later.

Thanks Orm! Great info!

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> 19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI