Official documentation for mapping/moddig and GTC specificities

Post new mods and scenarios here.
buxbux

Official documentation for mapping/moddig and GTC specificities

Post by buxbux »

Hello,

I am a long date CC player and mod user and job is software developper.
I never try to develop something for CC and i would like to try.

I would like to try with last GTC engine and i have questions:

- There is an official/good documentation/how to about mod/map editing ?
- There is specificities about GTC to know during modding/map editing ?

Thank's in advance,
bux.
mickxe5

RE: Official documentation for mapping/moddig and GTC specificities

Post by mickxe5 »

You need these 3 tools - Mafi's 5CC mapmaking tool, the PITF/GTC workbook to understand the game's /Data/Base/ files, and the CCMunger tool to unpack/repack the /Graphics/ files.

5CC includes a fair amount of documentation on map making/editing in its Help tab. AFAIK there exists no comprehensive documentation on data or graphics editing. However, in addition to Matrix's various CC pages, the CCS and CSO websites offer a wealth of task-specific modding information dating back well over a decade.
buxbux

Post by buxbux »

Thank you a lot for these links and advices ! I replaced a map (Map05) with fresh created map (replaces Map05* files and adapted Map05.btd file) with success. Now i'm searching way to create a "standalone" map (playable with in "Battle" part for exemple).
mickxe5

Post by mickxe5 »

While it may technically be possible to use a 'stand alone' map in GtC (ie. Map30.*), at a minimum that would require creating a scenario file for that map via hex editing an existing scenario file since the stand alone map wouldnt be available in the game's Editor. If you wanted to make that stand alone map available in the game Editor, in addition to adding it to /Maps/Stratmap.txt you would need to mod the game Editor UI.

Use the CCMunger tool to unpack /Graphics/Scrngadg.gdg which contains most of the graphic components to the game's UI. In ScrnGadg.gdg you'll find the Medium_Campaign_Map_000 which is the strategic map version used in the Editor, and the DESTRATMAP30_00x series of images (leftover from PITF which had 36 maps) pertaining to the map control overlays the Editor would use for a new, stand alone Map30. GIMP is the image tool I use to modify the constituent .tga files in the unpacked /Graphics/* files.
SteveMcClaire

Post by SteveMcClaire »

Maps in Gateway to Caen are tied into the strategic map, so you can't really have a 'stand alone' map that is not part of the data for the campaign's strat map. You'd need to add your map to the campaign system as well. Hex editing a scenario file is unlikely to work, but you can certainly try that if you want.

Steve

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”