From: Sachse, Texas USA
At the start of Soviet turn 10 (8-21-41), I have three Guards ShAP air groups, designated after 100 ground kills. After all the bombing I did in my Soviet turn 10, I should have five Guards ShAP air groups at the start of my turn 11.
1) What is the benefit of a Guards Air group, if any?
2) If I put them all in the same airbase, will it become a Guards air base? Any benefit?
3) What exactly is a ground kill? Rarely does my bombing kill an AFV per the battle reports.
In contrast my highest air kills for a FB group is 20 (MiG-3). My best experience FB group is at 73 (again Mig-3), but only 1 air kill. Will save him for my first P40B group in mid October. My #2 FB group is 71 exp and 6 kills, flying I-16 Type 18.
4) Newly created groups start at experience and morale in the low 30s. Once morale eeks above 50, I will put them in a quiet sector low on enemy fighters to build experience but that may be a long time.
5) My rule of thumb based on ignorance is any group with morale below 50 goes to the National reserve. I am in interested in what other Soviet players do.