Data Modding

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

US87891

Data Modding

Post by US87891 »

Question in another thread that sparked thoughts on describing the concepts behind JWE’s data models for AE Babes. A new thread seems a good place.
ORIGINAL: cardas
Building upon your answer I still find it a bit odd that the 37 mm M3 has a higher anti-soft value than a 81 mm mortar (16 vs. 13). As an armchair general I'd value the mortar higher in an anti-soft role. On the other hand the mortars do get to bombard while the 37 mm can't do the same, so they aren't directly comparable. I don't know how to value the bombardment possibility vs. the higher anti-soft stat.

The difference is due to the 81mm mortar being an indirect fire weapon, while the 37mm is a direct fire weapon. Also, the 37mm is effective up to 200m, while the 81mm cannot engage till the target is (well) beyond 200m. Arty IF weapon stats need to account for things like HE filler brisance, HE %, casing steel, area of effect, AoE shape, variations with shell size, as well as standard fire accuracy and CEP.

The DF calculations are based on weapon ‘effectivity’ studies by the GRU, Army MSA, CPLA, in the Korean War time frame. Notably these include the vast majority of US/Japanese WW2 infantry weapons. The paradigms for IF and DF are different as are the corresponding game calculation algorithms, so all the curves needed to be tilted, or flattened, to both fit together at the transition points and to fit within the numerical constraints of what the code is doing, without undue model discontinuities. It is a manifestation of the old question; what’s better, a hand grenade at 100 feet or a shotgun at 10 feet? Probably it’s fair to reduce the 37mm to 15 and raise the 81mm to 14 (the AE code wants integers, grrrr).

The biggest problem with AE weapon values is that they are relative numbers calculated on the basis of the individual weapon system. The game code lumps everything together. There might be 30 odd 37mm in a unit. The game code will shoot them all (abstraction), whereas there might be only 2, 3, or 4 at the actual point of contact (reality).

The same is true for every other weapon, vehicle, squad, what-have-you. There is a sort of conceptual disconnect between having data for individual weapons and the 45 mile per hex game scale that compels stack-vs-stack combat resolution. This is why we really like having the Army TEM3 as the battlespace simulator. It functions on an individual platform level so having accurate relative weapon stats is not just nice, but necessary.

Nonetheless, AE seems to be fairly good at ultimate outcomes. This is good for modders since values can be tweaked quite a bit to conform with preferences.
Dili

RE: Data Modding

Post by Dili »

But 81mm mortars are still around, 37mm AT guns are not. I don't see an heir to 37mm canister so was it really effective except in some very specific situations?

Due to lack of granularity in land combat as you say a following point maybe can be made that weapon flexibility should be accounted in accuracy.
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

Now if we could only rebuild the entire game to utilize the CMNAO engine. I hear tell that they are eventually going to have a land combat engine as well! [:D]
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
US87891

Post by US87891 »

ORIGINAL: Dili
But 81mm mortars are still around, 37mm AT guns are not. I don't see an heir to 37mm canister so was it really effective except in some very specific situations?
Canister firing weapons have grown exponentially in number, shrunk in size to man-portability, and become more effective and powerful than the classic 37mm M3 ATG. A typical unit will inventory 100 times more canister firing weapons than mortars (of all sizes).

In War-2, Korea, Vietnam, M18 57mm RCL fired the M306 HE Frag and T25E4 Canister rounds. M20 75mm RCL fired the M309/M310 HE Frag and T21/T21E4 Canister rounds. M40 105mm RCL fired the M348 HEAP and M581 APERS (flechette) rounds.

Since 1946, virtually every tank, anti-tank, and artillery piece to 105mm, loads canister (typically flechette) rounds. South African Genel rounds are notable for artillery, IMI and Rheinmetall are notable for HV (tank) flechette rounds.

For infantry support, it gets even better. Mk-19, Mk-47, SB LAG 40, CIS 40, Denel Y3, AGS-30, AGS-40, M75, H&K GMG, Howa 96, RG-6, S&T K11, M79, HK69, GP-25, many others.

M79 and M203 use 40x46mm M381 HE Frag, M397 Airburst Frag, M576 Apers-Canister , etc..
Mk-19 and Mk-47 use 40x53mm M383 HE Frag, M285 HE Pre-Frag, HVCC Hi velocity Canister, etc..

Although caliber may vary slightly, mileage is similar for German, Russian, Chinese, Japanese, Bulgarian, South African, Brazilian, Spanish, Korean, Singaporean, Israeli, Belgian, Czech, French, Italian, Austrian, Polish, weapons.
cardas

Post by cardas »

Okay, good to know some of the basics behind how different values have been chosen. I can't claim to have the extensive sources used by the DBB team, so any devices I add use values based partly on guesswork. For some values I think I have a decent enough understanding of what goes into it, but a big part of it still relies on looking at similar devices for guidance.

When you get special cases such as the 37mm M3 however that have values very different from similar weapons this kind of breaks down. Knowing the how and why these differences are arrived then becomes very useful. As the game engine values are abstractions anyway they can never be "correct", but at least with more information you can try to keep some consistency in the database.

If I may ask, using the good old 37mm M3 as an example still, why is the accuracy so high? Other guns of its class has around 8-9 vs. 16 on the M3. Rate of fire, sectional density etc. doesn't seem to warrant any greater difference.

I've two base assumptions:
1) Accuracy is not a relevant stat in land combat. For a non-AA "Army Weapon" device it's only relevant when dealing with combat against ships.
2) Because of 1) some guns have higher accuracy than their peers simply because they were used by coast artillery formations (or at least in a coast defense role).

So the 37mm M3 has higher accuracy because it was (presumably?) used at least a bit in that role by the marines. Are those accurate assumptions?
US87891

Post by US87891 »

Hello cardas,
Assumption #1 is right. The accuracy value is vestigial for these types of devices and is not used. Army weapons, per se, do not participate in Nav combat. So M3 accuracy is not relevant.

Sometimes there are entries in unused data fields because they are holdovers from WiTP-1, or UV, or something else. Sometimes it is because people were playing around with something and didn’t change it back because it just didn’t matter. Once again, so many data fields – so little time.
cardas

Post by cardas »

Okay, good to know, thank you US87891. Can't think of any more areas that I don't at least have some grasp on, loose as it may be. I'm a bit curious on you arrived at the accuracy values for naval guns overall, it seems to perhaps be some combination of rate of fire, sectional density, calibre etc. but I'm not sure. Still that's an area where looking at similar weapons and their accuracy is good enough, any minor errors are lost in the noise.

I hear you about those data fields. If they end up unused it's still easier to simply leave the values as is rather than zeroing them out, albeit something that can lead to confusion and misinformation.

P.S. any chance of ever getting a minor bug-fix on the large DBB scenarios?
US87891

Post by US87891 »

Hello cardas,

JWE’s method is conceptually like yours; it expressly depended on the scope and scale of the original data values. Matching to similarities is a valid technique.

Gary Grigsby used rate-of-fire as the basis for the accuracy parameter. His code is written around the range of values that that paradigm generates. JWE plotted the stock values and did an exponential curve fit, bounded by the high and low extremes expected by the code. The generated expression was decomposed into a multivariate. There were two primary variables (the others were de-minimis); one dubbed “rate-of-fire”, the other dubbed “figure of merit”. Together, they described the weapon scale fit to the desired curve very nicely (given the combat algorithm). SD/BC don’t come into play for AE Nav accuracy, but figure prominently in AA.

RoF is not the maximum cyclic rate. The chosen RoF is the practical/effective RoF for each weapon/mount, as far as the data could be acquired. Surprisingly, the data was available for over 85% of all weapons. Inferences had to be made for those weapons that did not have suitable specific data.

Figure of merit is a function of two data elements; mount response (power/manual, polar deflection/slew, etc..), and director/finder index (optical, mechanical, radar, etc..). JWE wanted to differentiate radar directed guns from early war models and require upgrades thereto, but the code was replete with embedded, date specific, algorithmic bonuses that GG used to model annual improvements. It was thought best to obey the law of unintended consequences and leave it alone.

It’s math heavy, but JWE just simplified the schema and calculations from our military work. A formula gets you internal self-consistency for each weapon and a methodology for evaluating a new one. An AE based graphical plot is a simple and very reasonable alternative.

We have been a little busy getting the interface seamless between a 40 mile-per-datum strat/ops system and 10 to 50 meter-per-datum tactical systems but we are looking good for the CY 17 project phase. There should be time available to do some DBB things. Some of the folks probably wouldn't mind playing around with it, but there doesn't seem to be any real community interest. If only a few people care .... In any case, I'll ask around.

Matt
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

More DBB, we care.[&o]
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I believe a few of us still care [;)]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
cardas

Post by cardas »

Interesting, thanks once again for the answers US87891. I will have to do with the more basic fit as I do not have the resources and/or knowledge to evaluate the "figure of merit" part. Practical rate of fire is a bit easier yet at the same time difficult. You can find sources that gives you a value but you run into the issue as to whose values you trust. There are different interpretations on what is practical after all.

As an example from two different sources I've read with supposed "practical" rate of fire figures for exactly the same weapon. One claimed 0.5 rounds per minute, the other 3 rounds per minute. This in a case where there shouldn't have been much of a difference between the mounts/ammunition handling, although that's certainly an area that can affect practical rate of fire a great deal.

Nonetheless it is illuminating to know the approach taken by the DBB team.

I wasn't suggesting that you'd put a lot of work on a new DBB version, just that some of the (in the big picture minor) issues could be fixed. The Grimsby class upgrades for one along with some of the oddities surrounding the fuel/endurance/maneuver/weapons on some of the Dutch ships.

Certainly there are still new PBEM games started with DBB. Whether that's enough community interest to warrant an updated version is your call though.
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

I surely do care - DBB and nothing else!
US87891

Post by US87891 »

Mike Osterhaut is willing to give it a shot. There are several areas that could use some cleanup. Your Dutchness and the Grimsbys are on the list. Are there any other issues? Any other noted oddities or things causing difficulties?

If so, someone please start a list somewhere. Mike is very detail oriented, so this time I expect there will be a complete changelog.

Matt
LargeSlowTarget

Does that clean-up include "issues" like wrong starting locations and duplicate entries etc.?

Fresh in my mind because I changed it yesterday evening in my DBB-29C-based mod:

Ship 10559 Victoria starts the war as AO at Sydney with British-type armament. Should be an unarmed TK at Manila (as SS George G. Henry), with conversion option to AO in April 1942 (renamed Victoria). Would be nice to have the renaming option which exists for LCU and air groups for ships as well - but that is for Michael, not Mike.

Ship 5346 Venus is a duplicate of ship 13703 William Williams.
cardas

Post by cardas »

Great news. I'll try to write down the errors I've found. These are from DBB-C (scenario 28).

I've mainly noticed things about strange things about ship classes so that's what I'm going to post about first. I'm completely clueless when it comes to any potential OOB errors or exact positions of ships at the start of the war and things like that. Basically I've gone e.g. "Oh, look, that weapon has exactly the same facing, number and so on as the previous one. That doesn't look right".

I will use a similar format as I did with the RA issues.

Errors
These are simply data entry errors, I haven't made any major research on them as such. When I say "should" here, it just means that logically you'd assume that what I say should be the case. There can of course be cases where what seems logical isn't what is actually true. Please take it with a grain of salt and don't simply accept that I'm right!

Grimsby RAN-I (167): Should upgrade to Grimsby (168). Should have upgrade delay.

Grimsby (168): Should upgrade to itself (168).

Abidel (276): Slot 7 should be facing "Left Side".

Fletcher (532, 533): Slot 12 should be facing "Right Side".

Lexington (679): Slot 10 should be facing "Left Side".

Bogue (699): Slot 3 should be facing "Left Side".

Sangamon (701): Slot 8 should be facing "Left Side".

Casablanca (703): Slot 5 should be facing "Left Side".

Gearing DDR AA (747): Slot 11 should be facing "Rear".

Treasury 327' AGC (755): Slot 6 should be facing "Left Side".

Tacoma (764): Slot 6 should be facing "Left Side".

Loch PF (786): Slot 6 should be facing "Left Side".

Bay PFAA (787): Slot 6 should be facing "Left Side".

Admiralty MMS (809): Can upgrade instantly to APc-1 (810). Should probably upgrade to itself (809).

Myoko (1112, 1113, 1114): Slot 12 should be facing "Left Side", should have ammo: 1.

Asashio (1464, 1465, 1466): Slot 10 should be facing "Right Side".

Fuso (1713, 1714): Slots 11 and 12 should be facing "Left Side".

Bankok Maru AMC (2024): Slot 6 should be facing "Left Side".

Juyusen YO (2126): Should upgrade to itself (2126), not to Kinesaki (2134)

Soya (2174): Slot 6 should be facing "Left Side".

Manoora AMC (2483): Slot 7 should be facing "Left Side".

Pres. Coolidge (2555): Slot 5 should be facing "Left Side", slot 6 should be facing "Right Side", slot 7 should be facing "Left Side"

C2-S Mt. Hood (2625): Slot 7 should be facing "Left Side".

C3 Hamul (2669): Slot 7 should be facing "Left Side".

C1 Acontius (2678, 2679): Slot 5 should be facing "Left Side".

LST Type-II (2688): Slot 8 should be facing "Left Side".

Oddities
This is things that are not clearly wrong, but are odd at least. There isn't necessarily any actual game impact due to these issues.

Frobisher (37): 20 mm Oerlikon in slot 11 has 50 ammo, usually such guns have 36.

Frobisher (38): 20 mm Oerlikon in slot 9 has 50 ammo, usually such guns have 36.

Nevada (303): Have two slots (14, 15) with Brownings with the same ammo count, facing, and guns per "turret". Only the number is different. No idea what reason there would be to use two slots in this case instead of one slot with the number count added together. Issue inherited from stock database. The intention might have been that slot 13 should have been "Left Side" and slot 14 "Right Side"

Pennsylvania (308, 309): Same as previous, Brownings in slots 12 and 13.

West Virgina (336): Same as previous, slots 12 and 13.

Colorado (342): Radar in slot 13 has Num: 4, not 1 as standard (also has ammo).

Atlanta (427): Have two slots (7, 8) with 40 mm Bofors with the same number, ammo count, facing and guns per "turret".

Farragut (448): Has a DC Rack (slot 9) that's facing "All Sides", should probably be "Rear". Has only Num: 1 for the racks, while previous and following upgrades have 2, should probably be 2 here as well.

Admiralty MMS (809): Has "US Navy" nationality, should probably be "British".

Katori (1054, 1055): DCs (slots 13, 14, 15) with ammo: 50? That's a very high amount by the usual ammo count standards of the game when it comes to ASW weapons.

Takao (1125, 1126): Radar in slot 16 has Num: 2 rather than the standard 1 for radars.

Maya (1130, 1131): Radar in slot 14 has Num: 2 rather than the standard 1 for radars.

Mogami (1136): Radar in slot 15 has Num: 2 rather than the standard 1 for radars.

Tone (1145, 1146): Radar in slot 14 has Num: 2 rather than the standard 1 for radars.

Radar facing
Following classes have radars that are not "All Sides" facing. A lot of the Japanese ships has facings other than "All Sides". In some cases, such as e.g. the battleships with one right facing and one left facing Type 22 radar it certainly seem intentional. Either way it looks inconsistent if we compare the Allied ships with the Japanese ships. Whether it actually has any effect at all ingame is unknown to me.
Livermore (508) - slot 10
Sendai (1045) - slot 12
Katori (1055) - slot 17
Agano (1063, 1064) - slot 12
Agano (1065, 1066) - slots 12, 13, 14
Oyodo (1072) - slot 6
Oyodo (1073) - slots 9, 10
Oyodo (1074, 1075) - slots 9, 10, 11
Furutaka (1103, 1104) - slots 11, 12
Aoba (1108, 1109) - slots 11, 12
Myoko (1113) - slot 14
Myoko (1114) - slots 14, 15
Myoko (1115) - slots 12, 13, 14
Takao (1124) - slot 15
Takao (1125) - slots 15, 16
Takao (1126) - slots 15, 16, 19
Maya (1129) - slot 15
Maya (1130) - slots 14, 15
Maya (1131) - slots 14, 15, 16
Mogami (1134, 1135) - slot 11
Mogami (1136) - slots 14, 15
Mogami (1139, 1140) - slot 2
Mogami (1141) - slots 2, 11, 12
Tone (1144) - slot 9
Tone (1145, 1146) - slots 9, 14, 15
Otori (1332) - slot 10
Asashio (1465) - slot 11
Asashio (1466) - slots 11, 12
Kagero (1475) - slot 11
Kagero (1476) - slots 11, 12
Yugumo (1485) - slot 11
Akitsuki (1493) - slot 8
Akitsuki (1494) - slots 11, 12
Akitsuki (1495) - slots 11, 12, 13
Shimakaze (1503, 1504) - slot 9
Shimakaze (1505) - slots 9, 13
Matsu (1512) - slot 8
Matsu (1513) - slots 8, 13
Tachibana (1517) - slots 8, 13
Ch-1 (1604) - slot 5
Kongo (1708) - slot 17, 18
Fuso (1711) - slots 15, 16
Fuso (1714) - slots 16, 17
Fuso (1715) - slots 18, 19
Ise (1717) - slots 15, 16
Ise (1720) - slots 12, 13
Ise (1721) - slots 18, 19
Nagato (1724) - slots 18, 19
Yamato (1728, 1729) - slots 18, 19
Yamato (1730) - slots 15, 16
Ashizuri (2143) - slot 7
Sunosaki (2145) - slot 7
Shiretoko (2148) - slot 9
Jingei (2153) - slot 9
Itsukushima (2158) - slot 10
Okinoshima (2161) - slot 9
Tsungaru (2164) - slot 10
Kanawha (2390) - slot 7

Radar ammo
Following has ammo for a radar. This probably has zero actual impact on anything. But I've noted it so I might as well post it.
Leander (41) - slot 10
Arethusa (45) - slot 9
Colorado (342) - slot 13
Atlanta (427) - slot 11
Repeat Benson (521) - slot 9
Higgins 78ft PT (711, 712) - slot 5
Tenryu (1004) - slot 8
Tenryu (1005) - slots 8, 9
Tenryu (1009) - slot 9
Tenryu (1010) - slots 9, 10
Yubari (1013) - slot 13
Yubari (1014) - slots 13, 14
Kitakami (1025) - slot 12

Slot neatness
Following classes have data for slots without a device (e.g. a weapon slot with ID = 0, but with say a facing other than "Front", or ammo or something specified anyway). As far as I'm aware this doesn't really matter except for keeping things neat and tidy.
Admiralty MMS (809) - slot 3, 4
Yugumo (1482) - slot 9
Ch-51 (1607) - slot 3
Aikoku Maru (2030) - slot 9

Tonnage
Following classes may have something other than standard displacement as their tonnage (tonnage = standard displacement is generally true in the database). Because displacement is such a can of worms overall (changing over their lifetime, getting good sources for the values) it's hard to tell when it's actually wrong. Still, just as an example most sources I've seen put the 'C' class "Caledon" cruiser at ~4900 ton full load displacement when laid down. In the database right now it's give a tonnage value of ~5500. If you take "tonnage" as standard displacement that would mean an astonishing 1500 ton increase full load, or 30% more. That's more than I can believe is correct. Issue is inherited from stock and it matters of course because durability is calculated according to tonnage.
I'll simply note which I find odd for now with a short comment. I'll once again point out that I'm very uncertain about these myself. There may also be some design decision involved here to make some ships a bit more durable?
'D' Class - tonnage = full load displacement?
'C' Class - tonnage = full load displacement?
Birmingham - tonnage a bit high
'E' Class - a bit low
Tenryu - tonnage = normal displacement?
Yubari - tonnage a bit high
Kuma - a bit high
Kitakami - a bit high
Nagara - a bit high
Katori - a bit high
Agano - high
Oyodo - very high
Furutaka - tonnage = full load displacement?
Aoba - tonnage = full load displacement?
Myoko - tonnage ~full load displacement?
Takao - high
Maya - a bit high
Mogami - high
Mogami (without rear turrets) - tonnage = ~full load displacement?
Tone - a bit high

Aircraft
PBY-5 Catalina (153, 243) & Catalina I (71, 180): Has armor: 0, should be 1. (As the US PBY-5 Catalina (466), has armor: 1)

Devices
40mm Bofors (980, 1061, 1132, 1325): These land based Bofors guns (Dutch, British, US, Chinese) have different values for some reason. Maybe because of different mountings, but I have a hard time believing that the best mounts were the Chinese ones (1325).

-

That's about it I think. I'm sure I've missed stuff but that's something to work with at least. I will deal with the Soviet and Dutch ships (and their devices) in a separate post later.
US87891

Post by US87891 »

Thank you cardas. That will make things easier. Please feel free to chime in with more.

We always try to check and verify before we change data. MO takes everything with a teaspoon of salt [:D]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: US87891

Thank you cardas. That will make things easier. Please feel free to chime in with more.

We always try to check and verify before we change data. MO takes everything with a teaspoon of salt [:D]
OK, but these are from an OLD version and might no longer be relevant. I've been meaning to pull down the current version and look before submitting, but here they are just in case so I don't miss your window due my own delays. I suppose it is possible that in the current version some of these errors might still be present but the item moved to a different slot number.

• Slot 1107 USA 44 Para Sq upgrades to slot 1119 USA Amphib Sq. I think should be no upgrade.
• Slot 6541 an "Artillery unit" has wrong TOE. But is it really meant to be artillery or infantry?
• Slot 5943 Torres St Inf Bn is a USA unit but should be Australian unit.
• Mukden garrison requirement should be (I think) 200 but is 2000.
• J7W1 Shinden the top art is backwards. As a result in combat the plane is showing facing its rear to the enemy and firing out its tail.

Sorry that I am not as observant as cardas - holy cow what a great list!

Edit to add: There were others submitted previously that I am sure were fixed.
cardas

Post by cardas »

ORIGINAL: US87891

Wheh, one less thing to worry about then. [:)]

Dutch issues. The previous post were mostly minor things, this is the real meat of the issue as far as I'm concerned. No, in the big picture the errors here are not significant, regardless they are still the most severe. These are all inherited from the stock database. As with the previous post I'll copy&past(&modify) from some earlier post I've made about the subject.

This time I will start with Dutch devices and to begin with we got the device 1637: 7.5cm/45 No6 AA. This weapon is used on a lot of Dutch ships and I have no clue as to what gun it is. Though to be fair I haven't got much of an oversight overall as to what kind of 7.5cm gun the Dutch actually had to begin with. The following guns are ones I'm aware of;
7.5cm/35 - Krupp gun, naval gun.
7.5cm/40 - Krupp gun (might have also been made by Bofors, but a Krupp design), naval gun.
7,5cm S. Aut. No.2 - ?, naval gun.
7.5cm/? - Bofors?, AA gun.
12pdr/12cwt HA Mk V - British, AA gun.

I recall reading that the 12pdr was numbered as 7.5cm No. 10, so that imply they had 10 different 7.5cm gun versions from whenever they started numbering them. Probably late 1800s. I don't know if the S. Aut. followed a different numbering scheme though.

There are sources that claim that some of the Gouvernementsmarine ships got either 7.5 cm/40 or maybe 7.5 cm/35 Krupp guns. Unknown if the 7.5 cm/40 are the same as the S.Aut.No.2. The No.2 is found on the plans for Sirius and Wega (Med GM class ships).

The Bofors 7.5 cm AA gun were used on the Admiralen destroyers. Also maybe van Oranje and perhaps Soerabaja. It might also be that e.g. van Oranje had a Siderius gun and the Admiralen destroyers had Bofors guns with at least different breaches.

Some ships that received British 12 pdrs during the conflict. An example ingame is the Jan van Amstel class.

It's a mess at least to me and with what sources I got available to me. The take away point is though that there is probably too many heavy AA capable guns at the moment. Many Dutch auxiliaries should probably only have 7.5cm naval guns, not DP guns. I leave it up to you as to how to deal with it.

There are also many places referencing 3.7cm guns on the Gouvernementsmarine ships. These might be Gericke or Hotchkiss guns. Link to a forum where there's an image of the Gericke gun:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/330333/t ... +1919-1942
Don't know a whole lot about the gun though. Probably quite a useless weapon going by the WitP mechanics.

Finally actual device fixes. The 15cm guns that the Dutch have at the moment are rather bad, much worse than what I believe is justified.

1630: 15.cm/50 No. 11
Range: 21 -> 28
Accuracy: 47 -> 50
Penetration: 86 -> 128
Anti-armor: 43 -> 64

1631: 15.cm/50 No. 10
Accuracy: 47 -> 50 (or ~52, to represent De Ruyter being a superior gun platform compared to Tromp)

1632: 15.cm/50 No. 9
Accuracy: 47 -> 50 (or ~52, to represent De Ruyter being a superior gun platform compared to Tromp)

1641: 15.cm/50 No. 6
Range: 21 -> 23

Guessed/made up values for the old 3.7 cm/20 naval gun:
Range: 3
Accuracy: 28
Penetration: 6
Effect: 10
Anti-armor: 3
Anti-soft: 7

Made up values for an old 7.5 cm/40 naval gun:
Range: 12
Accuracy: 30
Penetration: 24
Effect: 15
Anti-armor: 12
Anti-soft: 14

---
Now to the ship classes.

First of all this is a great place to get plans for the Dutch ships if you want to check them out: http://www.gahetna.nl/collectie/archief ... adid/4.MST

There are several Dutch ships that suffers from having an extremely low maneuver value, clearly in error. Furthermore they for some unimaginable reason have to putter around at 6 knots as their cruise speed. A significant issue due to the hex nature of the game. Pretty much no other nationality is stuck at such low cruise speed either (unless they have a ship class that has a max speed of 6 or less).
Because of the more extensive errors I can't use exactly the same format as in the previous post. In a still hopefully easily read format, here are the ship fixes:

Java (220): Deck armor should be 25. 50 mm is the sloped armor deck behind the belt, the horizontal deck was 25 mm. Unless this is a conscious design decision to make up for the fact that the slope isn't otherwise represented in the game. 40mm Bofors guns should be in twin mounts, not singles.

De Ruyter (221, 222): Turret armor should be 100. 40mm Bofors guns should be 4 facing "Right Side", 4 facing "Left Side", 2 facing "Rear".

Tromp (223, 224): Turret armor should be 25.

KXIV Class (234): Slot 3 should be facing "Center". Slot 5 and 6 should be 2 pdrs.

O16 Class (237): Slot 3 should be facing "Center". Slot 5 and 6 should be 2 pdrs.

O19 Class (238): Slot 3 should be facing "Center". Slot 6 and 7 should be 2 pdrs.

P17 Mot. Launch (263): Original plans at least seems to have been for a 20 mm Hispano gun on the front. What they actually were equipped with is unknown to me.

Following is the more verbose fixes.

227: Admiralen Batch I: Modify weapons
[center]12 cm No.4 - Front 2(1)
12 cm No.4 - Rear 2(1)
7.5 cm AA - Right 1(1)
7.5 cm AA - Left 1(1)
12.7 mm MG - Right 2(1)
12.7 mm MG - Left 2(1)
53.3 cm W1 Torp - Center 6(3)
DC Rack - Rear 2(1)[/center]

228: Admiralen Batch II: Modify weapons
[center]12 cm No.5 - Front 2(1)
12 cm No.5 - Rear 2(1)
7.5 cm AA - Center 1(1)
2 pdr AA - Right 2(1)
2 pdr AA - Left 2(1)
12.7 mm MG - Right 2(1)
12.7 mm MG - Left 2(1)
53.3 cm W1 Torp - Center 6(3)
DC Rack - Rear 2(1)[/center]

Endurance: 2500 -> 2750

Technically both Admiralen batches were designed with four DCTs (2 right, 2 left). On the other hand there was only one DC rack on the Batch I per the original plans and none(?) on the Batch II. Both had mine rails though and adding DC racks isn't exactly a major addition.

As I'm unsure as to exactly what kind of DCs they were originally made for and as it had probably changed by the time of the Pacific war I simply left it as 2 rear racks. How many ASW weapons you actually add is ultimately a balance matter anyway due to how the game functions.

They might have had torpedo reloads, or at least room for it. The Batch II plans shows room for 4 reserve torpedoes as an example.

250, 289, 290: Sm GM
Generic class representing a few different ships. Most very somewhat standardized but they weren't carbon copies. This is the length data for one of them, Bellatrix, if you want to calculate the maneuver value;
Length overall: 56,5 m
Length waterline: 53,4 m

Cruise speed: 6 -> 8 cruise speed
Endurance: 1600 -> 3000 endurance
Fuel: 120 -> 180 fuel
Maneuver: 30 -> 45 maneuver

Armament data is hard to come by for these ships but most seem to somewhat agree that they were very poorly armed. In fact they probably had no AA weapons at all (not even an MG) even by the time they were sunk. Potentially carrying a pair of 3.7 cm Gericke or Hotchkiss guns. Nothing I've found at least suggest that they ever carried any 7.5 cm AA gun.

I suggest removing the current 7.5 cm and maybe adding a pair of (new device) 3.7 cm guns, although it's questionable if it's worth adding those as devices. If you don't want to bother with making a fictional upgrade for the class then you might consider throwing them a bone and giving them an MG or two as AA, else they'll be stuck without any AA for the rest of the game. Otherwise you could simply give them a fictional upgrade that gives them some kind of AA but start them off with nothing.

This is a extremely minor thing, but about the art. Most ships of this generic class looked more or less like the Med GM ships (and thus the Med GM art). In fact I got no clue as to which ship the current art is supposed to represent, the closest I can think of is Zeeman, but it's still different. On the other hand this is the only class that uses this art so I'd assume it was custom made for it so I'm a bit lost there.

251, 291, 292: Med GM
Generic class once again. Using Sirius as standard.
Length overall: 58,60 m
Length waterline: 55,64 m

Endurance: 3100 -> 3500 endurance
Fuel: 323 -> 235 fuel
Maneuver: 30 -> 43 maneuver

Same as previous, armament data is hard to come by. In fact, that's true for all of these so I'll just skip mentioning that from now on. Original plans has a "7,5 cm S. Aut. No.2" gun, front facing. No idea of any stats about that gun but it was certainly not an AA gun (max mount elevation: 15 degrees).

I'd suggest using a naval gun for these, 7.5 cm/40 perhaps. This would be the only weapon, front facing. Once again they may have completely lacked any AA when they were sunk.

If you make a fictional upgrade then you could have all of them get some AA weapons, while the "PC" version gets as extra either some depth charges or/and a British 12pdr/12cwt.

252: A Class
Length overall: 42,8 m
Length waterline: 41-42 m?

Cruise speed: 7 -> 8 cruise speed
Endurance: 700 -> 1200 endurance
Maneuver: 30 -> 67 maneuver

258: Arend
Length overall: 72 m
Length waterline: 70 m

Max speed: 12 -> 18 max speed
Cruise speed: 6 -> 12 cruise speed
Endurance: 3100 -> 4000 endurance
Fuel: 323 -> 275 fuel
Maneuver: 30 -> 51 maneuver

I don't have any good info on the following ships.
253: Merbaboe
Length waterline: 22,7 m?
Diesel engine?

Cruise speed: 6 -> 8 or 10
Endurance: 600 -> 625
Fuel: 120 -> 15
Maneuver: 30 -> 71

254: Alor
Length waterline: 29,3 m?
Diesel engine?

Cruise speed: 6 -> 8 or 10
Endurance: 1600 -> 1200
Fuel: 120 -> 33
Maneuver: 30 -> 71

255: Soemenep
Length waterline: 35,9 m?
Oil (VTE)?
Max speed: 12 -> 10
Cruise speed: 6 -> 8
Endurance: 600 -> 1200
Fuel: 120 -> 45
Maneuver: 30 -> 53

256: Djember
Length waterline: 32,5 m?
Diesel engine?

Cruise speed: 6 -> 10
Endurance: 600 -> 1360
Fuel: 120 -> 45
Maneuver: 30 -> 70

257: Ardjoeno
Length waterline: 21 m?
Diesel engine?

Max speed: 15 -> 10 max speed
Fuel: 120 -> 20 fuel
Maneuver: 30 -> 71 maneuver

Finally several Dutch classes suffer from low ammo levels as standard. Because I don't know how you will change the armament I will refrain from pointing them out one by one, but many of the Dutch auxiliaries in the 250-292 slot range have much lower ammo than comparable classes from other nations. As an example the 26 ton HDML S1 Mot. Launch (259) get 8 ammo for its Browning MGs while 18 is a rather standard amount for such a weapon and that class of ship. In fact 8 might be the lowest any ship gets with an MG, even the 8 ton 14m Type LB Daihatsu (1279) gets 12 for its MG.

---

That's it for now. I'm sure there are things I forgot about, but that's at least a good chunk of it. Only the Soviets left now which I'll leave for later. If you want to start on them before that then basically some ship classes are wrongly equipped and some penetration values are suspiciously low.
LargeSlowTarget

Impressive list, cardas! Thanks for posting, I'm going over my files to modify if necessary.

One thing:
Nevada (303): Have two slots (14, 15) with Brownings with the same ammo count, facing, and guns per "turret". Only the number is different. No idea what reason there would be to use two slots in this case instead of one slot with the number count added together. Issue inherited from stock database. The intention might have been that slot 13 should have been "Left Side" and slot 14 "Right Side"

Pennsylvania (308, 309): Same as previous, Brownings in slots 12 and 13.

West Virgina (336): Same as previous, slots 12 and 13.

I believe this is intentional. The old BBs carried AA machine guns in the "fighting tops" or "bird baths" on top of the masts. Two masts and clear field of fire all around > two slots and "all sides" in the editor.
US87891

Post by US87891 »

MO began life as Dutch. He likes this stuff. His recent email -

Dutch guns have model numbers of their own. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, are for different mounts and different sources but ballistically the same gun . Krupp built some, Bofors built some Krupp under license, Bofors built their own designs, HIH Siderius and Wilton-Fijenoord built Bofors under license. A Bofors 12cm/L50 Model 1924 became a Ducth 12cm/50 W-F No.6 or a 12cm/50 No.4 if it was early from Sweden and like that. I say the hell with the numbers just call them Bofors, or whatever they were. That is what I will do and run the ballistics. You want all the Dutch naval guns right? 75, 120, 150? The 8.8cm is our friend Siderius/Rheinmetall built by W-F from acquired parts after S went belly up. Or do you want the Bofors naval 88?

We’ll clean up the Dutch 150mm guns. MO has already run the ballistics based on the Bofors 15.2cm/L55 Model 1930, assuming Bofors ogival, propellant, shell and body weight are the same in Netherlands service. We’ll check the others as well.

We'll see about LST's and witpqs' too. Won't change any art, though. Do not want to be different from the standard installation. There is lots of art out there anyway.

Matt

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”