Benefit of rifle brigades?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Nix77

Benefit of rifle brigades?

Post by Nix77 »

Is there any other benefit in building rifle brigades over building divisions other than unit density for the Soviet player?

There used to be a morale bonus for them, but afaik that's gone now.

Combining 3 full brigades seems to give the division an extra supplement of heavy weaponry (SMG+Engineer squads, MGs and mortars), I guess that'd be worthwhile for creating "shock" units? Does the excess equipment dwindle away as time passes?

I can see the benefit of having unit density while training the brigades, and getting some more punch when combined, but does that justify the 15AP vs 10AP difference?
Stelteck

RE: Benefit of rifle brigades?

Post by Stelteck »

From my experience, having tons of cheap units to maintain and built fortification just behind front line is really important.

I would not advise merging brigades into divisions too soon.

Brigades can also be used to create a rifle corps using 2 divisions + 1 brigades instead of 3 divisions, so you can have cheaper rifle corps.

But as soviet, if you have choice, Cavalry (corps) could be a better choice than infantry to create.
Brakes are for cowards !!
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

One bonus for brigades is also the ability to act more efficiently as reserves, I've been using them mostly in that role in ´41.

I'm just mostly thinking if it's worthwhile to build more brigades by using APs, or just stick to divisions?

I guess one needs to be also careful not to build too many new units too keep the OOB at a sustainable level, after manpower isn't an issue any more.
Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

they react a lot in my game as axis and quite annoying at times.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

The rules state:

'Combat units smaller than a division, to include broken down units, do not take control of hexes in their ZOC, just hexes that they move through (6.3.3).
These regimental/brigade size units pay two additional MP's when moving into an enemy hex.'

So I think this means they don't convert adjacent enemy hexes unless they move into them. And they cop a movement penalty so I dont think you should lead your breakthrough with a brigade.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

ORIGINAL: johntoml56

The rules state:

'Combat units smaller than a division, to include broken down units, do not take control of hexes in their ZOC, just hexes that they move through (6.3.3).
These regimental/brigade size units pay two additional MP's when moving into an enemy hex.'

So I think this means they don't convert adjacent enemy hexes unless they move into them. And they cop a movement penalty so I dont think you should lead your breakthrough with a brigade.

Yes, that's quite obvious [:D]

Brigades' role is more in the backline, as reserve and diggers, and to act as a rear screen to make moving from a breakthrough more costly.

Combining units to give them higher ToE seems to be a valid tactic (the units return only elements over 125% ToE), and as was mentioned, brigades can act as cheap corps fillers to spare your divisions.

So, I guess they may be worthwhile to build if you start running short of them :)
bigbaba

Post by bigbaba »

i can confirm that brigades seem to have a higher chance to be activated as reserve during a battle. can you guys explain the game mechanics behind that?
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Manual 15.5.1.1 I think

Return to “The War Room”