Preventing computer controlled movement

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Icedawg

Preventing computer controlled movement

Post by Icedawg »

I just purchased this game and am puzzled by the lack of control I have of my units. I'm trying to play the Bulge 44 scenario as Germany and have tons of my own units moving without having given them any orders. What am I doing to trigger this movement and how can I stop it and take control of my units?
gbaby

RE: Preventing computer controlled movement

Post by gbaby »

That is the player assist AI added to later versions. I had the same experience.

The bottom row of buttons have the PO assist buttons to control this, you can turn on and off.

You can also set player options to not show the lower row buttons, some folks don't like to use it.

Use the "\" key to turn on/off as well. You'll know when on, the cursor changes and you will see plot points in map and mini-map, they don't show if "off".

I don't ever use this, but its meant for large scenarios and you don't have the time to move the hundreds of units, you can use PO assist to plot formations and let the AI take care of it. Or else you'll need lots and lots of time to do it all yourself!
gbaby

Post by gbaby »

Sorry, hold shift and hit "\", or known as "|" key. Stops movement of your troops.

I find sometimes it turns off AI for opposition, which can turned back on under menu option Play/Computer Player
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Thanks for the clarification. I got rid of those buttons and haven't had anymore unexplained movement.

I've got another issue though. Is there any way to clear all objective from all HQs? I suppose that since I got rid of those auto-move buttons, the HQ objectives are meaningless, but it still annoys me knowing that they are there (and I didn't set them). As is, I had to take about 30 minutes to go through all HQs manually and delete all their objectives. It seems like there should be some quick way to do that.
gbaby

Post by gbaby »

I'm not sure to what you are referring to. The plots that are setup on scenario design is for PO. If you turn off PO and play manually, and also hit the turn off PO assist, no plots should be shown on the map and mini-map.

As for clearing HQ plots, why? If your playing manually, these should be of no concern, just ignore them, if your not using PO assist for your manually controlled side.

Normally, I play a scenario with proper selection which side I want human, which side the computer controls, and as human controlled side, I've never had issues of plots, unless I accidently pressed the wrong key on the keyboard which either turned on the plots (put me in PO assist mode) or the computer took over my units because I turned on PO for my side. It has happened, but mostly accidental brushing keys, etc.

Don't forget to look in the Manual folder of your game directory, there is a KeyCommands.txt that I found very useful. Also an Elmer Assist Primer document that give instructions for using PO assist (i.e. plots, etc.).
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

I think it may be a key selection. Note if you left click a unit, and then the /-key, that brings up the objective track for that unit. And can be toggled on and off. Sometimes this can be useful to follow the designers thought process.

Likewise the ?-key will toggle all objective tracks on and off.

The \-key will put the units under PO control (aka Elmer), but your can open a formation with the F-key, and set to Manual mode and control just that formation. You can be just Guderian on a massive East Front scenario.

More details on the elmer Assist Primer gbaby referred to...

Any questions, please keep in contact.
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: gbaby

I'm not sure to what you are referring to. The plots that are setup on scenario design is for PO. If you turn off PO and play manually, and also hit the turn off PO assist, no plots should be shown on the map and mini-map.

As for clearing HQ plots, why? If your playing manually, these should be of no concern, just ignore them, if your not using PO assist for your manually controlled side.

Normally, I play a scenario with proper selection which side I want human, which side the computer controls, and as human controlled side, I've never had issues of plots, unless I accidently pressed the wrong key on the keyboard which either turned on the plots (put me in PO assist mode) or the computer took over my units because I turned on PO for my side. It has happened, but mostly accidental brushing keys, etc.

Don't forget to look in the Manual folder of your game directory, there is a KeyCommands.txt that I found very useful. Also an Elmer Assist Primer document that give instructions for using PO assist (i.e. plots, etc.).

Thanks for pointing out the keyboard shortcuts. They are very helpful - reduced clicking is a good thing!

As for the objectives, I was thinking that they may influence things like retreat direction and the likelihood of advancing into a hex vacated by combat. If the objective is to the North, and my units attack a hex to the South, will they not advance after combat? If they retreat, will they try to retreat toward the objective? Mostly though, I'm a bit OCD when it comes to games. I want control of EVERYTHING and it really bugs the sh*t out of me when something like this comes up. :)

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”