Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Research Levels

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Research Levels Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Research Levels - 2/16/2017 3:41:50 PM   
BuettnerD

Hello,
I am new here. I bought the game after watching a big dose of paradog gamer's videos on the beta version's 1939 scenario. I have been playing the same scenario and it hasn't gone at all like paradog's game, even though I was able to beat Poland in 2 turns and France in 5 (I think).

The Royal Nay was not as easy to defeat for me. They kept back from the channel even when I baited them and when they were in the channel it seemed like it was always raining!

But the UK has just surrendered in my game and it is mid '43. I have made very little progress in the Soviet Union though as they declared war on me before I could build up my forces enough to overwhelm them. I just made a wall of units and they are just beating themselves up against it while I finish off making sure that America won't land an invasion in Europe.

I did defeat the allies in Africa and am working on Iran now and will move up through the caucuses.

My main grip right now is that the Soviets have infantry weapons level 3 and the Germans cannot enough reach that. That makes no sense to me at all. I also think they should not be able to reach tech levels as high as Germany in advanced fighter tech.

I assuem cannot mod this now can I since I am playing the official 39 campaign? Is that correct? I don't really want to start over right now.

Thoughts?
Post #: 1
RE: Research Levels - 2/16/2017 4:16:21 PM   
KorutZelva

ah! I didn't know the cap were different. I think it's because the starting basic unit without upgrade german infantry is better than the russian one but with that extra tech level they reach parity. I think it's to replicate that ultimately they got as good as the german at that warring stuff.

One of the barbarossa problem is that by the time it happens the USSR has already somewhat closed the gap techwise therefore the initial advantage you are supposed to enjoy in the first phase of the campaign just isn't there.

< Message edited by KorutZelva -- 2/16/2017 4:17:30 PM >

(in reply to BuettnerD)
Post #: 2
RE: Research Levels - 2/16/2017 8:24:58 PM   
Xwormwood

The infantry tech "problem" has been mentioned a couple of times in the forum. KorutZelva explained it correctly.

But i agree that the best way would have been to give every country 3 infantry tech levels, with everyone but russia (and maybe some minors) starting with level 0, while the other nations start with level 1.
This solution would have been self explaining, while the current solution is unfortunately not.

When it comes to fighter tech I disagree. There is no golden rule that forbids russia to stay behind in the tech race. Not in a game where every player is free to decide what should be done next (ultimate power). Just because history never showed russian jet planes in 1945 doesn't mean that it wouldn't have been possible for Russia to get this tech during the war time. Freedom of choice, and with this the result may very well be that russia should be able to get jet planes.

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 3
RE: Research Levels - 2/16/2017 8:55:35 PM   
The Land

Well currently it's too easy for *anyone * to get jet fighters in 1942-3.

If it's fixed globally, Russia might not need further penalties (they already have effectively delayed start on research thanks to not really starting until war entry, plus their low initial tech).

(in reply to Xwormwood)
Post #: 4
RE: Research Levels - 2/16/2017 10:58:27 PM   
KorutZelva

Max one chit for all tech type? What would the tech acquisition speed would look like? Maybe increase the price of tech chit to compensate and force research focus from countries to countries.

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 5
RE: Research Levels - 2/17/2017 1:40:31 PM   
BuettnerD

At infantry weapons level 3 in 1943, the Soviets have AK47s very early. Seems silly as the Soviets couldn't keep up with making even the SVT-40 so they just made more bolt guns.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 6
RE: Research Levels - 2/17/2017 1:43:52 PM   
BuettnerD

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xwormwood

When it comes to fighter tech I disagree. There is no golden rule that forbids russia to stay behind in the tech race. Not in a game where every player is free to decide what should be done next (ultimate power). Just because history never showed russian jet planes in 1945 doesn't mean that it wouldn't have been possible for Russia to get this tech during the war time. Freedom of choice, and with this the result may very well be that russia should be able to get jet planes.

I guess this is a fair point. In reality they couldn't even make a B29, they had to copy ours part for part.

(in reply to Xwormwood)
Post #: 7
RE: Research Levels - 2/17/2017 2:24:01 PM   
The Land

quote:

ORIGINAL: KorutZelva

Max one chit for all tech type? What would the tech acquisition speed would look like? Maybe increase the price of tech chit to compensate and force research focus from countries to countries.

In my view the obvious first step is to make each chit give less research progress each turn.

Increasing tech cost is less obvious because it affects scaling between the large and small economies. Currently, that particular aspect of balance is ok, because upgrading (and maintaining upgraded units) is a significant part of tech costs. If the research cost is bigger then it becomes more difficult for smaller nations (i.e. UK and Italy) to research significatly at all....

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 8
RE: Research Levels - 2/17/2017 8:05:53 PM   
KorutZelva

agreed

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 9
RE: Research Levels - 2/21/2017 3:40:54 PM   
BuettnerD

In my current game the Germans, Americans and Soviets all have jet fighters in 1943.

(in reply to KorutZelva)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Research Levels Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI