Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above) - 2/16/2017 1:01:58 PM   
Zoetermeer

I noticed that for example 4th Army has a lot of artillery and engineer support units. Do these units make their way into battles involving formations of subordinate corps, assuming the corps HQ is within command range of the army one?

Somewhat unrelated: how do I ask the commander's report for a list of units that use a particular ground element? I would like to know which unit(s) have the Karl 600mm siege mortar, but can't seem to figure out how to get there.

Thanks all!
Post #: 1
RE: Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above) - 2/16/2017 1:23:56 PM   
Telemecus

I asked that very question a while ago on these forums and got the answer no. I have not seen an example myself of this happening.

You can go to the production screen and find the siege mortar and click on the number at the end of the row (units with that element) - that should pull up the commander's report filtered to those with that element.

(in reply to Zoetermeer)
Post #: 2
RE: Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above) - 2/16/2017 1:25:18 PM   
Stelteck

Support units only support combat units that are under its command.

In this situation :
Army HQ - Corps HQ - Division X
Army HQ - Division Y

Army HQ support unit will not help division X.
But may help division Y

(in reply to Zoetermeer)
Post #: 3
RE: Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above) - 2/16/2017 1:28:52 PM   
EwaldvonKleist

Thanks

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 4
RE: Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above) - 2/16/2017 1:57:57 PM   
Zoetermeer

Ah ok, thanks all, so it sounds like I have been letting these units go to waste. Time to move them up!

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 5
RE: Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above) - 2/16/2017 2:20:01 PM   
Zoetermeer

Another thing I have always been confused about: the manual says that there is no range limitation on the transfer of support unit attachments. So shouldn't I be able to transfer a unit from a corps in 11th Army at Odessa to a corps in 18th Army at Tallinn? If so how can I do this? If I click on the support unit's HQ button, I'm only given a subset of "eligible" units that seem to generally be close to the unit.

(in reply to Zoetermeer)
Post #: 6
RE: Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above) - 2/16/2017 2:26:25 PM   
Stelteck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zoetermeer

Another thing I have always been confused about: the manual says that there is no range limitation on the transfer of support unit attachments. So shouldn't I be able to transfer a unit from a corps in 11th Army at Odessa to a corps in 18th Army at Tallinn? If so how can I do this? If I click on the support unit's HQ button, I'm only given a subset of "eligible" units that seem to generally be close to the unit.

For long range transfert, you have to do it in 2 turns. First transfert it to stavka at a PP price.
Next turn you will be able to transfert it from stavka to where you want for free.

(in reply to Zoetermeer)
Post #: 7
RE: Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above) - 2/16/2017 2:56:52 PM   
No idea

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

Support units only support combat units that are under its command.

In this situation :
Army HQ - Corps HQ - Division X
Army HQ - Division Y

Army HQ support unit will not help division X.
But may help division Y

Are you sure? That would mean that, if you follow the logic OOB (army group hq, army hq, corps hq, divisions) having support units (apart from cons units) in anything above corps hq is pointless, as a coprs hq is not a combat unit.

I thought support units could be "lent" by a hq to any division directly or indirctly attached to that hq as long as it was in range. Of course, the higher the hq in the chaing, the more difficult admin check to pass.

< Message edited by No idea -- 2/16/2017 2:58:09 PM >

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 8
RE: Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above) - 2/16/2017 3:55:43 PM   
Telemecus

That is correct, which is why I have always had a lingering doubt. But the definitive answer has always been that and I have never been able to prove otherwise from a combat in a game.

Nevertheless there are some reasons to keep SUs in higher HQs
i) That they have direct report combat units
ii) Construction units which can build forts down the command chain,repair rail etc. i.e. non-combat
iii) SUs you do not want in combat e.g. depleted unready etc
iv) SUs you want to keep in reserve which can be deployed at a cost e.g some heavy artillery
plus some will be there in transit to where you want them to go

But not that all those SUs in higher headquarters ever help in combat, or at best do so so rarely that I do not spot it.

Apart from ratings checks and SUs for fort building there is surprisingly little that higher HQs do. I am similarly surprised that Army HQs do not help in Corps supply - but there you are.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 2/16/2017 4:04:47 PM >

(in reply to No idea)
Post #: 9
RE: Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above) - 2/17/2017 2:42:13 PM   
Champagne

I did some checking some time ago and discovered that many of the combat SUs in Fourth Army are intended to belong to Second Army and should be moved to Second Army once this Army takes the field. The reason why Fourth Army seems overstrength in SUs is because they possess Second Army's SUs on Turn 1 of the Campaign Games.

Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Support Units in Army-Level HQ's (And Above) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI