What is better for an experienced WIF player to learn the game?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Joseignacio

What is better for an experienced WIF player to learn the game?

Post by Joseignacio »

- The tutorials
- The books

If the books:

- The RAC or
- The other two books.

I just want to learn how I can do the things I do in WIF when I play MWIF. For example, time ago I thought there was a bug because MWIF didn't let one of my fighter-bombers bomb (in range), later I knew I had a menu to select it was acting as a bomber not a fighter.

I have started with the manuals (I did 2-3years ago but didn't go too far) but in the meantime I made some tests, it took me some time to learn how to load the ships (right? button on the land unit and select "load") as well as why it didn't let me see call a form to see which land units were in Hawaii in a "naval air" phase...( I believe because they could not be selected in that phase, but I still wanted to know if I had convoys for that Nav to protect later or no, for example). Of course I could check one by one but where 45 units are it's not so simple. Finally I did it with the "doble click screen" passing pages.

I know the rules, I just want to know how to transpose them to MWIF.

I read the first pages of the manuals, where it recommends certain chapters for WIFfers but it's kind of fractionary, I would like a more general advice if possible.
Centuur

RE: What is better for an experienced WIF player to learn the game?

Post by Centuur »

If you know the rules of the boardgame, I would go directly to the tutorials. I didn't read the books too (sorry Steve... [:D]), except on the parts of the deviations from the rules.
Peter
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Thanks, Centuur.

Of course there may be a couple I do not know, and a couple more I may have interpreted wrong, but then it's easy to know they are either different interpretations or bugs and I can check that paragraph or ask in the forum. [:)]
PeteGarnett

Post by PeteGarnett »

Faster way would be to play someone - even the Barbarossa scenario would show how most things are handled on the MWiF version.

Happy to do this myself Jose if you are interested.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Pete, I have some extra time left by now, since I have a couple of appointments for paying but both seem to be delayed for now.

Are you in USA? What times/days could you play? If so, send me a Private Message. [;)]
davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

- The tutorials
- The books

If the books:

- The RAC or
- The other two books.

I just want to learn how I can do the things I do in WIF when I play MWIF. For example, time ago I thought there was a bug because MWIF didn't let one of my fighter-bombers bomb (in range), later I knew I had a menu to select it was acting as a bomber not a fighter.

I have started with the manuals (I did 2-3years ago but didn't go too far) but in the meantime I made some tests, it took me some time to learn how to load the ships (right? button on the land unit and select "load") as well as why it didn't let me see call a form to see which land units were in Hawaii in a "naval air" phase...( I believe because they could not be selected in that phase, but I still wanted to know if I had convoys for that Nav to protect later or no, for example). Of course I could check one by one but where 45 units are it's not so simple. Finally I did it with the "doble click screen" passing pages.

I read the first pages of the manuals, where it recommends certain chapters for WIFfers but it's kind of fractionary, I would like a more general advice if possible.
The most important thing is knowing the rules. If you are experienced in the board game, most of the procedural work is already understood.

The tutorials are a good start, but not detailed enough. The RAC is a good support book, but I only use it (and the other manuals) to understand areas I am struggling with (or forgot).

The example you mention was a problem because of the need to designate your figher bomber as a bomber. I think we all had that problem, but after identifying it was a problem and checking the book, we learned to update (right click) that the unit was being used as a bomber. There are always going to be those type of problems identified. I doubt that you will find them all and will probably forget many of them.

The best way to find them is use a solo game. Just try everything you can think of. Barbarossa is a good choice, since it is small, but you will definately need to do some Naval action between Germany and Russia to get through that learning.

Dave
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

IMO these are the most important things:

Not having two screens to play is almost unimaginable to me.

Right-click on an air, land and naval unit, see what's in the unit menus. Ctrl-left-click on ports to get the selection box for moving naval units. Ctrl-left click on sea zones when forcing naval units to go into or through sea zones where they can be intercepted. Open "Help/Keyboard and Mouse Commands" on the main menu and try and learn those. Some of the really useful ones are: Ctrl-P, Ctrl-Q, Ctrl-R, Ctrl-U, F5 and F11.

Double-left click on land and you'll get flyouts when hovering over a stack. Double-left-click on sea and you'll get Naval Review Details (from which you can also select naval units because you can do almost everything a couple different ways). These two flip flop, i.e. one turns off the other. With Naval Review Details up, after selecting a sea zone, right-click and then you can move the mouse to the form without it changing when you pass over other sea zones.

Explore the choices of each of the commands on the Main Menu. And... almost all the forms have a Help button.
Paul
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Paul, I play this game on a 17" laptop screen only [:D]. It's simply a matter of making yourself a good screen layout if one uses only one screen...
Peter
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I, too use only one screen.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Of course the game is playable with one screen. AAMOF playing on Teamviewer (which I've done a lot) it's the only option.

There are a lot of advantages using two, FREX Jaguar's post in: tm.asp?m=4232286&mpage=1&#4237754 which I thoroughly endorse and have also benefited from.

Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

- The tutorials
- The books

If the books:

- The RAC or
- The other two books.

warspite1

1. Look at the tutorials
2. Play the game - and often - in solo and ask questions on the forum and have RAC to hand
3. Play multiplayer with people who know what they are doing
4. This to my mind is the best way to learn. Trying to read books or watch tutorials without getting stuck into the game is a forlorn hope - unless you have that kind of memory - as there is just sooooo much to learn.

As for screens - I don't know how the game can be played with just one screen. Bravo to those who can, but I need the assistance of the second screen constantly....
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Thanks all.

I already played Barbarossa solo, although being a short scenario I didn't care to adjust the production lines, so this part I need to treview, as well as all the naval part.

I am starting with the tutorials, at the same time that playing solo again and checking the menus offered and the help when necessary.

And I am willing to play multiplayer, I hope soon it will be possible,

Return to “World in Flames”