Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

france and NF

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> france and NF Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
france and NF - 2/15/2017 4:44:27 PM   
freeboy

As Axis I am trying a new-ish strategy.. adding some pre-fall of Paris armored inf units and a para and HQ into NF near Sicily grabbing a port and marching towards second capital. then Paris falls then French defeated in NF, triggers a lobbied Spain to join, Gibraltar falls, then its of too the races to get to Egypt and ME b4 the USA can decide what they want in 40 41... then USSR with a HUGELY stranger Germany plus some help from Spain Italy etc... I try to ignore Greeks
Post #: 1
RE: france and NF - 2/15/2017 4:52:46 PM   
freeboy

NF = North a-Fricka oops
should be NA

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 2
RE: france and NF - 2/15/2017 6:03:27 PM   
Seminole

Instead of invading southern France with Italians I sent them to Tunisia. The defender of Tunis heads south to the border and I was able to take the port without a fight.
Sent German paras to assist. You really can't send very many units, too crowded and bad supply routes. I used my numbers to flank the defenders and the German paras to seize the relocated capital - which then moved to Bordeaux!

Units committed to Algiers made it back just in time to thwart the British offensive. Surrender of France gave me a green light into Syria, and I sent a German-Italian force that overwhelmed the invading Desert Rats.

Without the extra money from compelling total French surrender it seems like the Axis would be badly out earned '42 and after.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 3
RE: france and NF - 2/16/2017 1:02:28 AM   
freeboy

u do get a slower start in ussr, BUT I like the totality of this route..
Next game Ill go for a 41 London assault.... PLUS the all France and NA

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 4
RE: france and NF - 2/17/2017 12:36:57 AM   
freeboy

The biggest help is the level 2 infantry .. just ripping through the reds ...

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 5
RE: france and NF - 2/17/2017 5:00:49 PM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

u do get a slower start in ussr, BUT I like the totality of this route..
Next game Ill go for a 41 London assault.... PLUS the all France and NA

I'm trying this right now (the date is June 20,1941) and I have a good strong foothold in England after destroying the BEF in France, establishing air superiority over the channel and Southern England, and Naval superiority in the channel with the Kriegsmarine (including all available U-boats) .

I didn't accept the Vichy France option and used the Italians in Libya to take Algiers (at which point France surrendered) while leaving some to hold off the Brits at Bardia.

Here's the situation in England:

Spain is 59% leaning towards the Axis and I'm trying to capture London ASAP to swing her even closer...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by CC1 -- 2/17/2017 6:03:27 PM >

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 6
RE: france and NF - 2/17/2017 5:08:58 PM   
Christolos

Here's the situation in the Med:

The Regia Marina got lucky and was able to gain Naval Superiority (after the Fall of France) in the Western half of the Med and so I expect to capture Malta shortly.

The Brits in Egypt are also in trouble with the way to Alexandria most probably weakly defended given that they are struggling to defend their home land.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by CC1 -- 2/17/2017 5:15:29 PM >

“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 7
RE: france and NF - 2/17/2017 5:18:52 PM   
Christolos

Sorry if this is looking more like an AAR at this point, but there are a few discussion points I would like to raise at the end of it, so please bear with me.

Here is the situation in the Balkans:

Yugoslavia (which went Allied after a pro-Allied coup) is about to fall and I will go after Greece next with mostly Italian forces bolstered by some of the German forces, with the rest hurried to the East in defense against the soon to come Russian attack.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by CC1 -- 2/17/2017 5:22:15 PM >

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 8
RE: france and NF - 2/17/2017 5:24:01 PM   
Christolos

And finally, here's the situation on the soon to be Eastern Front:

My engineers have been busy fortifying the line in the North from Memel to just north of Warsaw. I'm a little disappointed that cites and towns cannot be fortified in this way...

My worry now is whether I can muster up enough forces to man the entire line in time!

The USSR is 64% mobilized so they are likely to attack soon!

Now for a few discussion points:

I am trying this approach because my last game as the Axis ended badly due to a massive Allied invasion in France in May 1943 at three points which I simply could not contain, and a dismal failure on the Eastern front against the Russians because I lost too much time and momentum dealing with hard to crack pockets.

I decided for my next game that I should take out England first (to avoid an Allied invasion in the West) and deal with Russian later.

This is by no means any easier to accomplish but it is sure is a lot more fun in terms of being a very interesting ahistorical "what if".

My thoughts on this approach in terms of the best strategy to succeed are as follows:

England must be taken out before the Russians get too strong in the East as can be seen to happening in the excellent Introduction to Strategic Command WWII video series by the Wargaming Guy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aidx19wLtys&list=PL1RTN7ITHVQPFrEtlRgk8_0eXnEDUm6fo)

This is why I am trying to do this with two HQ units and all my air units. What is also key is the way I was able to secure the channel with the Kriegsmarine under the protective cover of the Luftwaffe and screening cover of upgraded U-boats.

Another thing I did was to let the Italians get all the plunder points from the Fall of France (they also get a lot more MPPs every turn this way too) to help them out with getting their research efforts going.
It could be argued that these points would be better spent by the Germans...but I plan to let them get the Plunder points from Yugoslavia, Greece, and Egypt to make up for it.

The other thing I did was to build as many fortifications in the East as I could to try and help hold the line against the Russians.

Getting Spain to join the Axis is key with this overall strategy and so I also invested a fair amount of diplo chits (both German and Italian) in this. My understanding is that Spain will shift even closer to joining the Axis once London falls.
I'm not sure about this but I believe they will also shift this way once Egypt falls.

C

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by CC1 -- 2/17/2017 6:05:19 PM >

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 9
RE: france and NF - 2/18/2017 12:32:16 AM   
freeboy

well, you need Cairo London Moscow for the win.. I think your a little light in the East
good luck.. did u diplomatically bomb spain? I seem to do well with Spain entering the war

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 10
RE: france and NF - 2/18/2017 1:16:05 AM   
Christolos

Yes, I have been pressuring Spain quite a bit and I am definitely a little light in the East.
This is why I'm hoping to wrap things up in England ASAP in order to be able to concentrate more on the eventual Russian juggernaut.

I'm also hoping to pick off the bulk of the US transports that will also eventually arrive, before they arrive in England.

I'm also really counting on Spain joining the Axis.

C

-Aristotle-

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 11
RE: france and NF - 2/19/2017 12:26:55 PM   
Christolos

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

The biggest help is the level 2 infantry .. just ripping through the reds ...

Indeed, I have all my German infantry and the Hungarian and Romanian infantry upgraded to level 2, and the Italian infantry upgraded to level 1, and I am ripping away!

C

-Aristotle-

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 12
RE: france and NF - 2/19/2017 8:04:30 PM   
Christolos

Hi freeboy,

I decided to continue my postings in this thread as an AAR in the AAR section. I hope you don't mind that I sort of hijacked this thread to do this since I should have started my postings as a proper AAR in the AAR section proper.

I would like to thank you for your original post in the thread as it did help me to get motivated enough to consider posting another AAR.

Cheers,

C

-Aristotle-

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 13
RE: france and NF - 2/19/2017 11:29:32 PM   
freeboy

AWESOME no problem
I added comments from my foray in your aar.. touchee

So its JAn 43 and soon Ill over run all of the South and Stalingrad renaming it Matthewgradski
and drive north from the south
Lenn will get the pounder-roo with air and artilery, its a tough hold for the reds...
Ill call it quits there unless I think i can knock out the fleets in the Atlantic with the MR andthe Spanish armada assisting the KM

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 14
RE: france and NF - 2/20/2017 3:13:21 PM   
Christolos

Thanks for the comments. I already had a look and will reply shortly.

If I understand correctly, you may get the Russians offering surrender terms if you take Leningrad, Moscow, and Stalingrad...or does this only happen if the Axis also hold London?
I need to check the manual

I imagine you are getting prepared for an eventual allied invasion in the West. How ready are you for this knowing that it could happen as early as May 1943?

C

-Aristotle-

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 15
RE: france and NF - 2/22/2017 1:21:42 AM   
freeboy

no need for London at least in first build.. I am doing a accept Vichy steamroll NA game in the new build... man you put a lot of troops in USSR as Axis by pushing through the Brits in Egypt.. used a massive amount of the German air support to blow through Brits.. its spring 42.. banging on door at Lenn... stood firm along Dneppre as AI doubled up and pounded my troups there from Kiev to the sea..
and
I have Spain and Turkey and am doing the seaborne attack through the Black sea attacking Rostov now from the South.. a really interesting twist holding Iraq adding Turkey and invading Persia and Southern USSR plus the Black sea invasion gaining a beachead and Rostov from the underside...
LOVE this game... truly a work of exellence! BRAVO to the team

(in reply to Christolos)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> The War Room >> france and NF Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI