Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

When Titans Clashed, by Glantz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> When Titans Clashed, by Glantz Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When Titans Clashed, by Glantz - 2/10/2017 2:58:56 PM   
Champagne

I recently discovered that this 1995 work was updated in 2015. The 2015 book, Glantz tells us in the Foreword, had about 100 times more new data from Soviet AND German archives than the 1995 book had available to it for research.

Many Nazi German archived records thought destroyed during the war were discovered in East Germany when that regime fell.

I haven't had a chance to read the new book. I have read the 1995 book at least three times.

Only the dead have seen the end of War.

-- Plato
Post #: 1
RE: When Titans Clashed, by Glantz - 2/10/2017 3:58:58 PM   
jzardos

If you want to read a great WW2 east front book, you can't go wrong with Stalin vs Hitler. It will change forever your view on that epic struggle in the east.

https://www.amazon.com/Hitler-vs-Stalin-Eastern-1941-1945/dp/141657350X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1486745862&sr=8-1&keywords=stalin+vs+hitler

< Message edited by jzardos -- 2/10/2017 3:59:19 PM >

(in reply to Champagne)
Post #: 2
RE: When Titans Clashed, by Glantz - 2/10/2017 6:39:09 PM   
GDHF

quote:

ORIGINAL: jzardos
If you want to read a great WW2 east front book, you can't go wrong with Stalin vs Hitler.

...In fact, says historian John Mosier, Hitler came very close to winning and lost only because of the intervention of the western Allies...

...Because Stalin had a notorious habit of imprisoning or killing anyone who brought him bad news...

lol

Are you serious? big nonsense and hard to imagine, rubbish and stupidity in one volume

(in reply to jzardos)
Post #: 3
RE: When Titans Clashed, by Glantz - 2/10/2017 8:04:24 PM   
Champagne

jzardos:

Glantz is a retired Colonel, US Army. His job in the Army before he retired was to organize and chair a series of gatherings of retired Wehrmacht officers who fought on the Eastern Front. This was in the 1980s. Much hard to find info came from those symposiums.

Nobody on this planet has had the access to Soviet archives that Glantz has had and nobody has studied these documents as much as he.

Glantz knows more about the War in the East than any person alive today. Nobody has researched the topic as much as he.

As such, this book by Glantz is the definitive single volume on the War in the East. No other book is based on the complete Soviet archives and Reich archives that were thought destroyed but were found in East Germany and Moscow.

There are a million books on the War in the East. ANY of them written before 1995 are based on about one percent of the data used by Glantz in this book. Many books since 1995 are based on incomplete data and perhaps even fiction.

So THIS is the THE book.

-- Plato

(in reply to GDHF)
Post #: 4
RE: When Titans Clashed, by Glantz - 2/11/2017 2:54:30 AM   
johntoml56

Have your critical faculties well and truly turned on if you are reading Mosier.

(in reply to Champagne)
Post #: 5
RE: When Titans Clashed, by Glantz - 2/11/2017 2:25:54 PM   
GDHF

Glantz really did a great job, quite objectively described the chronology of events and details of military operations. Nevertheless, all that concerns our internal russian cuisine (repression, the prewar events, human portraits, etc.) - as usual with foreigners, a lot of myths and nonsense.
such as Tukhachevsky described as a brilliant theorist and teacher Zhukov. Zhukov himself in his memoirs, he describes in detail the process of learning/formation, but Tukhachevsky mentioned a few minor episodes; and the genial designer of artillery Vasily Grabin (F22, zis3, zis2, tank guns to the T34, etc.) in his memoirs describes the confrontation with Tukhachevsky and his subversive activities against the Soviet Union, only Stalin's private participation allowed Grabin create first-class artillery for the Soviet army.

I really like the movie "Gone with the Wind" '39, but the American Civil War there is a one-sided - Southerners such valiant knights, and Northerners - the barbarians and the cynics. Glantz about the same level, versed in the relations within the USSR, unfortunately, the principal amount of serious research on this topic is published only by russian.

If you read Glantz, focusing on the events and skipping his philosophical amateurism, this book is one of the best.

< Message edited by GDHF -- 2/11/2017 2:27:11 PM >

(in reply to johntoml56)
Post #: 6
RE: When Titans Clashed, by Glantz - 2/11/2017 8:05:20 PM   
Champagne

I like this book for the military history and nothing else.

-- Plato

(in reply to GDHF)
Post #: 7
RE: When Titans Clashed, by Glantz - 2/16/2017 3:00:17 AM   
heliodorus04

Glantz is a hack.
Let the Russians document their own history.
Why you people cannot see him as a more erudite version of Stephen Ambrose, I do not know.
He is the Edward Gibbon of East Front, a shibboleth.

Winter 2016-Playing: Pacific War, Advanced Squad Leader, Shadow of Morder (GOTY) - and OMG is it great.
Reading: Rulebooks Pacific War and ASL (always ASL)

(in reply to Champagne)
Post #: 8
RE: When Titans Clashed, by Glantz - 2/17/2017 2:35:20 PM   
Champagne

quote:

ORIGINAL: heliodorus04

Glantz is a hack.
Let the Russians document their own history.
Why you people cannot see him as a more erudite version of Stephen Ambrose, I do not know.
He is the Edward Gibbon of East Front, a shibboleth.

Explain you answer, please. We like to learn things here.

-- Plato

(in reply to heliodorus04)
Post #: 9
RE: When Titans Clashed, by Glantz - 2/17/2017 10:52:22 PM   
bigus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Champagne

jzardos:

Glantz is a retired Colonel, US Army. His job in the Army before he retired was to organize and chair a series of gatherings of retired Wehrmacht officers who fought on the Eastern Front. This was in the 1980s. Much hard to find info came from those symposiums.

Nobody on this planet has had the access to Soviet archives that Glantz has had and nobody has studied these documents as much as he.

Glantz knows more about the War in the East than any person alive today. Nobody has researched the topic as much as he.

As such, this book by Glantz is the definitive single volume on the War in the East. No other book is based on the complete Soviet archives and Reich archives that were thought destroyed but were found in East Germany and Moscow.

There are a million books on the War in the East. ANY of them written before 1995 are based on about one percent of the data used by Glantz in this book. Many books since 1995 are based on incomplete data and perhaps even fiction.

So THIS is the THE book.

Agreed.
"When Titans Clashed" is the without a doubt, the best single volume on the war in the east available.
I only have the revised version so I can't comment on the difference between the 95 version.

< Message edited by bigus -- 2/17/2017 11:04:33 PM >

(in reply to Champagne)
Post #: 10
RE: When Titans Clashed, by Glantz - 2/18/2017 12:38:57 AM   
demjansk

I like his books and his Stalingrad trilogy books. Plus, Mr. Glantz will actually respond to emails.

I also like the books by David Stahel on the Eastern Front. So many books written on this war that to find the real truth is quite difficult. All we know is to play our current war games and change history.

Thanks for posting.

(in reply to bigus)
Post #: 11
RE: When Titans Clashed, by Glantz - 2/20/2017 4:13:16 AM   
bigus

quote:

ORIGINAL: demjansk

I like his books and his Stalingrad trilogy books. Plus, Mr. Glantz will actually respond to emails.

I also like the books by David Stahel on the Eastern Front. So many books written on this war that to find the real truth is quite difficult. All we know is to play our current war games and change history.

Thanks for posting.

I thought Stahels's Kiev book was lacking information on the actual battle of Kiev.
It was a book on lack of resources for the Germans to win any battle, Let alone the campaign for Kiev.

< Message edited by bigus -- 2/20/2017 4:19:37 AM >

(in reply to demjansk)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> When Titans Clashed, by Glantz Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI