A New Mod Idea

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Cmiller

A New Mod Idea

Post by Cmiller »

Hello everyone. I've been playing distance worlds for quite a while now. And I think I've decided to make my own mod. I'm thinking of using Icemania's AI mod as a base for the mod. But here's the real idea for my mod.

I want to delete the whole tech tree and recreate it from scratch. I would also like to re-design the individual races in the game. Both the original races and Extended. Giving them new personalities, victory conditions, special governments, ect., ect. The goal of the mod is to create a whole new distant worlds experience. Basically you would have to "relearn" the game, or at least a entirely new tech tree.

This is just ideas for now. I'm not much of modder and it's not guaranteed I'll ever finish it. I just made this post because I wanted to get the communities feedback. Would play a mod like this if I ever finished it?

Feel free to give me suggestions or requests. I haven't started making the mod yet. But when I make substantial progress on it I'll update you guys on how I'm doing.

That's all I wanted to say. Have fun blowing up bases in your distant worlds games.
Capshades

RE: A New Mod Idea

Post by Capshades »

I like the concept, not sure how you can change much in the way of tech style since the game engine relies so much on it and is so picky about what goes where.

Make sure to check out Sabranan's modding tool, it'll save you a lot of headaches. He just did some very nice upgrading to the tech tree creator in fact...
Rosbjerg

Post by Rosbjerg »

I had a similar approach myself, although I only wanted new governments, better named resources and more 'logical' new techs that fitted the setting of my mod more... And I based it on Icemania's AI mod as well. So I know where you're coming from :)

As for your idea, perhaps start with a theme? I found that it helped focus the entire modding experience and new ideas could be weighed on how well they worked within the overall theme.. And don't be afraid to borrow (steal) ideas from your fellow modders, as long as you remember to give them credit.

What are your thoughts so far? Completely new races? A different timeline? An existing fictional universe?
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: Cmiller

Hello everyone. I've been playing distance worlds for quite a while now. And I think I've decided to make my own mod. I'm thinking of using Icemania's AI mod as a base for the mod. But here's the real idea for my mod.

I want to delete the whole tech tree and recreate it from scratch. I would also like to re-design the individual races in the game. Both the original races and Extended. Giving them new personalities, victory conditions, special governments, ect., ect. The goal of the mod is to create a whole new distant worlds experience. Basically you would have to "relearn" the game, or at least a entirely new tech tree.

This is just ideas for now. I'm not much of modder and it's not guaranteed I'll ever finish it. I just made this post because I wanted to get the communities feedback. Would play a mod like this if I ever finished it?

Feel free to give me suggestions or requests. I haven't started making the mod yet. But when I make substantial progress on it I'll update you guys on how I'm doing.

That's all I wanted to say. Have fun blowing up bases in your distant worlds games.

When modding start small and start with the easy things.
I Recommend first thing you do is re-design the individual races in the game.
Then you can start looking at other things to mod.

Return to “Design and Modding”