Matrix Games Forums

To End All Wars: Mountain InfantryPandora: Eclipse of Nashira Announced! Deal of the Week: Command Ops goes half price!New Fronts are opening up for Commander: The Great WarCharacters of World War 1Sign of for the Pike and Shot Beta!More Games are Coming to Steam! Return to the Moon on October 31st! Commander: The Great War iPad Wallpapers Generals of the Great War
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Battlefields! 4/29 Update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Coming Soon and In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> Battlefields! 4/29 Update Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Battlefields! 4/29 Update - 4/30/2003 12:26:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Gentlemen,

Here you go, a series of new screenshots for your viewing pleasure. :D

Regards,

- Erik

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 1
Screenshot #2 - 4/30/2003 12:29:03 PM   
Erik Rutins

The previous was a shot of the Berezina scenario, from the scenario editor and showing the unit editor. This one also shows the Berezina scenario in the editor, with a view of Orsha and the reinforcements editor.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 2
Screenshot #3 - 4/30/2003 12:31:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

A maximum zoom-out view of the Okinawa scenario, with US invasion forces floating offshore and a view of part of the OOB.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 3
Screenshot #4 - 4/30/2003 12:34:07 PM   
Erik Rutins

A view of the plan/coordinate attack dialog during an orders phase in the Aachen scenario.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 4
Screenshot #5 - 4/30/2003 12:35:38 PM   
Erik Rutins

A shot of the logistics flow dialog, where you can adjust which depots and dumps are used by each unit and at what level convoys should be sent to replenish those units.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 5
Screenshot #6 - 4/30/2003 12:36:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

Another attack planning screen, this time we've decided to have a preparatory artillery barrage before the attackers move in.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 6
Screenshot #7 - 4/30/2003 12:42:02 PM   
Erik Rutins

An Aachen attack plot, the US has just broken through the first line of fortifications and is trying to exploit. The plot you see is part of a planned coordinated German counterattack involving a Panther battalion, a recon battalion and two infantry battalions.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 7
Screenshot #8 - 4/30/2003 12:43:58 PM   
Erik Rutins

This one shows you the screen where you can configure what the unit counters display. There are four configurable slots and your preferences can be stored.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 8
Screenshot #9 - 4/30/2003 12:45:00 PM   
Erik Rutins

A look at the right-click context menu for a unit in orders mode.

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 9
Screenshot #10 - 4/30/2003 12:46:20 PM   
Erik Rutins

The event editor...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 10
Screenshot #11 - 4/30/2003 12:48:32 PM   
Erik Rutins

The Soviet commander near Tolvajärvi considers reports of nearby Finnish units. You can see how good the intelligence is...

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 11
- 4/30/2003 3:46:13 PM   
melcer

Battlefields! is getting more and more interrresting. It seems to have an acceptabel level of detail. I don't like when a strategy game is too simplified. Details and complexity results in a quite steep learning curve though but that's fine by me.

I'm quite sure you'll buy it.

Melcer

Post #: 12
Thanks for the update - 4/30/2003 10:02:09 PM   
EricLarsen

Erik,
The game looks like it's progressing well. Thanks for the screen shots to whet our appetites.
Eric Larsen

Post #: 13
- 5/1/2003 11:10:03 AM   
L.Queen

Look's good. I am ready to shell out the money.

YES I AM STUPID

Post #: 14
Re: Screenshot #3 - 5/2/2003 7:32:31 PM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Erik Rutins
[B]A maximum zoom-out view of the Okinawa scenario, with US invasion forces floating offshore and a view of part of the OOB. [/B][/QUOTE]

Erik,

Could you be so kind and post a close up view of perhaps the japanese defensive line at Okinawa (or anything at all from the island)? PLEASE:D

Cheers
Dan

Post #: 15
- 5/2/2003 7:43:57 PM   
Joe 98

I too am ready to part with my hard earned.

Post #: 16
Response.... - 5/2/2003 9:52:29 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thank you all, your excitement and kind words are good fuel for the development fire. I'll keep posting updates as long as you keep stopping by. :)

Dan, I knew that Okinawa shot would get a response from you. I'll post two close-ups of Okinawa as soon as we get the final cave and trail graphics. Caves and trails were among the last terrain types added and right now we have placeholder graphics. While they're functional they're not up to snuff with the appearance of the other terrain types.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 17
- 5/3/2003 7:53:57 AM   
Pippin

Looking at that one border display image makes me wonder. Is there a feature to disable viewing of borders for both parties? I know in many games allowing display of borders unfortunately results in an easy way for people to cheat by knowing where hidden units lay in certain situations.

Post #: 18
most impressive - 5/4/2003 7:12:49 AM   
gionpeters

Most impressive, Erik. Battlefields is really sizing up to be a full-featured title.

A question about the event editor: can events trigger a change in entry points of reinforcements ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Post #: 19
Response... - 5/4/2003 11:34:33 PM   
Erik Rutins

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pippin
[B]Looking at that one border display image makes me wonder. Is there a feature to disable viewing of borders for both parties? I know in many games allowing display of borders unfortunately results in an easy way for people to cheat by knowing where hidden units lay in certain situations. [/B][/QUOTE]

We don't have such a toggle in place currently, but it would be simple enough to add. However, given the intel/fog of war system, knowledge gained through border shifts is not likely to be as valuable as it might be in other systems. Nevertheless, I'll add it to the possible additions list. :)

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 20
Re: most impressive - 5/4/2003 11:36:45 PM   
Erik Rutins

Mad Dog,

[QUOTE][B]Most impressive, Erik. Battlefields is really sizing up to be a full-featured title.

A question about the event editor: can events trigger a change in entry points of reinforcements ?[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, and absolutely. I believe I posted some info on the various events in one of my earlier updates, which might provide you with more info. However, there's a fair amount of unit/reinforcement manipulation in there for scenario designers, including reinforcement time/hex entry, unit/formation withdrawal and recall, off-map refit, etc.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 21
- 5/17/2003 8:31:19 AM   
Oleg Mastruko

I know I am a bit late but I obviously forgot to visit this board as often as I should :)

Some suggestions and question. Most of the suggestions are as regards the game graphics - I'm not THAT shallow, but since graphics is the main thing I see on the screenies, and haven't had the opportunity to try out the game mechanics... you'll understand :)

1.) Please PLEASE consider using sans serif fonts for everything in the game, especially map. I really don't know why SO many game designers go for serif fonts that are harder to read (that's scientifically proven) on textured backgrounds (like maps) and look less "militaristic" so to say. Consider using Futura, Lucida or plan ole Arial font(s) :) I see OOB is already in sans serif font which is good. Not only you insist on using ugly serif fonts, but you use them in some bold(ish) variant that is especially ugly.

2.) Graphic for "arable land" (at least that's what I think it is) is ug-lee.

3.) Include the option to turn the hexsides off on the map.

4.) Consider using pseudo-3D counters a la TOAW. I don't mean 3D view in TOAW (I HATE it), I mean those little sexy shades on 2D counters in TOAW that make them look as if they have 3rd dimension.

5.) Generally try to avoid lines that are too thick. Map font is definitely too thick (along with being sans serif), and some of the lines on the counters and icons are too thick too, and not very pleasant on the eyes.

6.) Numericals on the counters are really hard to read! OK; I'll say it, why don't you just copy the counters from TOAW? I've never seen counters so clear and readable in any (war)game (as they were in TOAW).

7.) Do not forget keyboard shortcuts for most useful orders. In TOAW I always wanted to issue "dig in" order to selected unit with simple tap on the keyboard, but - no such luck.

Sorry if I sound like pain in the a**, I'd just like for this game to be as beautiful and as "classic" as TOAW was/is. You certainly aim high - as far as I can tell from the game design, now you have to fulfill the promises and make the game visually pleasing. One of the reasons I constantly go back to TOAW evena after so many years is graphic "pleasantness" of that classic game.

Finally, question. I gather Daniel McBride, Legend of TOAW scenario design, is on your team. Eric can you tell us which scenarios is he working on?

Thanks, form 100% certain future buyer of BF,

O.

Post #: 22
Response... - 5/22/2003 2:39:42 AM   
Erik Rutins

Oleg,

Well, sorry for the late reply. The build we are currently working on has been more challenging than anticipated as it covers the final enhancements to the combat system and the implementation of new on-map animations and a new combat report. I'll post an update with some new screenshots when that's finished. :)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Oleg Mastruko
[B]I know I am a bit late but I obviously forgot to visit this board as often as I should :)

Agreed, you should definitely visit more often. ;)

quote:

1.) Please PLEASE consider using sans serif fonts for everything in the game, especially map. I really don't know why SO many game designers go for serif fonts that are harder to read (that's scientifically proven) on textured backgrounds (like maps) and look less "militaristic" so to say. Consider using Futura, Lucida or plan ole Arial font(s) :) I see OOB is already in sans serif font which is good. Not only you insist on using ugly serif fonts, but you use them in some bold(ish) variant that is especially ugly.

We are actually redoing the fonts as I type and looking at various possibilities, both serif and sans serif to see which reads best. Improving the in game font appearance is on our final polish list and it will look better for release.

quote:

2.) Graphic for "arable land" (at least that's what I think it is) is ug-lee.

You mean the cultivated land / plowed fields graphic? We've actually had compliments on that. What do you find particularly ugly about it? If you can be specific and the result is more aesthetically pleasing, perhaps we can tweak it before release.

quote:

3.) Include the option to turn the hexsides off on the map.

Already in there. :)

quote:

4.) Consider using pseudo-3D counters a la TOAW. I don't mean 3D view in TOAW (I HATE it), I mean those little sexy shades on 2D counters in TOAW that make them look as if they have 3rd dimension.

Actually, all the counters already have some shading to make them appear somewhat three dimensional, but perhaps it isn't as obvious on the screenshots?

quote:

5.) Generally try to avoid lines that are too thick. Map font is definitely too thick (along with being sans serif), and some of the lines on the counters and icons are too thick too, and not very pleasant on the eyes.

We'll do our best to make it as pretty as possible for you. :) Note that these sorts of things will also be accessible to modders after release so I'm sure we'll see some variant fonts and counters show up in time.

quote:

6.) Numericals on the counters are really hard to read! OK; I'll say it, why don't you just copy the counters from TOAW? I've never seen counters so clear and readable in any (war)game (as they were in TOAW).

The numbers on the counters are due for some work as well.

quote:

7.) Do not forget keyboard shortcuts for most useful orders. In TOAW I always wanted to issue "dig in" order to selected unit with simple tap on the keyboard, but - no such luck.

We do have quite a few keyboard shortcuts built in for many useful commands and orders. I'll review them to make sure they are as comprehensive as possible before release. An alternate keyboard-based interface can definitely save time for those that are comfortable memorizing the shortcuts.

quote:

Sorry if I sound like pain in the a**, I'd just like for this game to be as beautiful and as "classic" as TOAW was/is. You certainly aim high - as far as I can tell from the game design, now you have to fulfill the promises and make the game visually pleasing. One of the reasons I constantly go back to TOAW evena after so many years is graphic "pleasantness" of that classic game.

No worries, we also want it to be a classic and were working as hard as we can to make that a reality. Thanks for your interest and your suggestions and your 100% buy commitment. :D

quote:

Finally, question. I gather Daniel McBride, Legend of TOAW scenario design, is on your team. Eric can you tell us which scenarios is he working on?

Sure, Daniel is working on the following scenarios:

Voronezh, the Cursed City (1942 Eastern Front)
Gazala: Tobruk (1942 North Africa)

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 23
Shameless Butt-Kissing - 5/22/2003 8:02:05 PM   
Jamey

Eric,

I have been lurking on these boards for a couple of years now and have read thousands of messages (as well as tons of messages from other boards). I have to say that I have always been EXTREMELY impressed with your replies and comments on this forum. I can't remember one time when you did not answer a question, rant, criticism, or flame politely, diplomatically, and calmly.

I can only imagine how hard it must be to receive criticism on a game that you have worked so hard to complete.

It seems like, these days, gamers are SO quick to slam a game because it does not work EXACTLY the way THEY think it should. And some game designers are waiting to bite the heads off anyone who dares to question their design.

Yet, you continuously receive both positive and negative comments about Battlefieds with extraordinary grace.

I just wanted to take a moment to say, "Thanks!", to tell you that Battlefields is looking great, and, please, keep up the good work!

Jamey
A Lurker :)

Post #: 24
Response... - 5/22/2003 8:20:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

Jamey,

Thanks for taking the time to make such a positive post. :D We do honestly appreciate all feedback though, as we want nothing less than for this game to be great. I'm very glad to hear that you are looking forward to Battlefields! and we'll continue to do our best to deliver. :)

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 25
- 5/26/2003 4:21:59 PM   
Pippin

"I don't mean 3D view in TOAW (I HATE it), ..."

Awww.. but I loved the 3D view in TOAW...

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Coming Soon and In Development] >> Combined Arms: World War II (formerly Battlefields!) >> Battlefields! 4/29 Update Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI