Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situations?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situations? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situations? - 2/2/2017 11:03:29 AM   
OxfordGuy3

Hi - other than price (and attacking AT units), I was wondering if there are any situations where Mech Infantry performs better than tanks? In CEAW-GS, for example, Mech Inf was better to use than tanks when attacking (or defending) cities, fortresses and most kinds of non-clear terrain, as tanks got higher penalties, but I've not noticed tanks in SC3 performing any worse than Mech Infantry when attacking cities etc.

More generally, other than river penalties and differences to retreat chance and possible levels of entrenchent, I don't think it's clear from the manual what effects terrain has on combat results, unless I've missed something?
Post #: 1
RE: Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situa... - 2/2/2017 12:42:45 PM   
Flaviusx

Anecdotally, they seem better to me at attacking units in cities. I actually prefer them to tanks and wish the OB allowed you to build more of them.

When attacking the Soviet Union, I make it a point in 1941 to group all the Axis mech in AGN, fully upgraded, and prioritize Leningrad. 3 mech backed by the Luftwaffe will roll over pretty much anything.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 2
RE: Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situa... - 2/2/2017 1:10:03 PM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Anecdotally, they seem better to me at attacking units in cities. I actually prefer them to tanks and wish the OB allowed you to build more of them.

When attacking the Soviet Union, I make it a point in 1941 to group all the Axis mech in AGN, fully upgraded, and prioritize Leningrad. 3 mech backed by the Luftwaffe will roll over pretty much anything.

I wish things like this were less opaque, it's still guesswork

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 3
RE: Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situa... - 2/2/2017 2:15:25 PM   
The Land

If I understand it correctly, Mech use "Hard" attack rather than "Tank" attack. Units, and resources, have different Hard and TAnk defence and attack values that you can view in teh editor. Studying these will give you the answer, probably

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 4
RE: Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situa... - 2/2/2017 7:07:38 PM   
xwormwood

From my general experience mech units attack cities much more efficient than tanks. But i may be wrong, though.

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 5
RE: Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situa... - 2/2/2017 11:47:21 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xwormwood

From my general experience mech units attack cities much more efficient than tanks. But i may be wrong, though.

I agree with you on that one Xwormwood, and if you think about how Bill and Hubert put this together they took all that into consideration, tanks on the whole were too constricted with houses on both sides of them, molotov cocktails and other anti-tank weapons rained down on them.

Of course there is the die roll which could change things but other than that I believe that Mech's are better in cities because a Mech unit is mainly infantry in half-tracks they would have been a little more manuverable, I personally like the Mech's in more open terrain because of their speed but that is just me. Trully the best is plain infantry.

Bo

< Message edited by bo -- 2/2/2017 11:51:54 PM >

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 6
RE: Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situa... - 2/3/2017 9:25:40 AM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Xwormwood

I agree with you on that one Xwormwood, and if you think about how Bill and Hubert put this together they took all that into consideration, tanks on the whole were too constricted with houses on both sides of them, molotov cocktails and other anti-tank weapons rained down on them.

Of course there is the die roll which could change things but other than that I believe that Mech's are better in cities because a Mech unit is mainly infantry in half-tracks they would have been a little more manuverable, I personally like the Mech's in more open terrain because of their speed but that is just me. Trully the best is plain infantry.

Well they certainly ought to attack and defend better than tanks in cities, but I was just wondering if this was actually the case?

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 7
RE: Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situa... - 2/3/2017 10:41:59 AM   
Szilard

If you look at the "Target Data" section in the editor, you'll see they have a target type of "Light Tank". Which is consistent with my observations of how crap they are on the defence. I guess they're not supposed to be heavy armored infantry, like I would have thought.

(in reply to OxfordGuy3)
Post #: 8
RE: Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situa... - 2/3/2017 10:59:29 AM   
OxfordGuy3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Szilard

If you look at the "Target Data" section in the editor, you'll see they have a target type of "Light Tank". Which is consistent with my observations of how crap they are on the defence. I guess they're not supposed to be heavy armored infantry, like I would have thought.

Well that's a bit odd

(in reply to Szilard)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII War in Europe >> Are Mech Inf better than Tanks in some combat situations? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI