Crash bug

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.
vonik

Crash bug

Post by vonik »

SDL Failed (2) : Failed to blit surface .

I can reliably reproduce this bug . At least in 80% of cases .
When the AI finishes its turn, I quit and reload a saved game . Bug .
I never got the bug when I quit and reload while still during my turn . It is necessary to do it just after AI finished and it is the first action in my turn .

I have W10 and the post about Dxdiag doesn't apply so that I can't attach this file .
Please update the dxdiag instructions for W10 and fix at last this very annoying crash bug .
OxfordGuy3

RE: Crash bug

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: vonik

SDL Failed (2) : Failed to blit surface .

I can reliably reproduce this bug . At least in 80% of cases .
When the AI finishes its turn, I quit and reload a saved game . Bug .
I never got the bug when I quit and reload while still during my turn . It is necessary to do it just after AI finished and it is the first action in my turn .

I have W10 and the post about Dxdiag doesn't apply so that I can't attach this file .
Please update the dxdiag instructions for W10 and fix at last this very annoying crash bug .

I also get this frequently, not just after saving/reloading, if it wasn't for autosave I'd be tearing my hair out, as it is, it's still an annoying CTD
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
vonik

Post by vonik »

My point was that it should have been fast to fix because it can be easily reproduced . You just quit after the AI turn and reload a saved game . Sofar I think that it always worked - when I do that, I get the crash . I am not sure that I have ever got it in other circumstances .
sad ham

Post by sad ham »

I get this CDT very often and it happens random, not only when the game is reloaded after the AI turn.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

What kind of CPU/GPU/OS are you guys running? This appears to be a graphics related problem. I'm not sure what graphics engine the developer is using, but it might be a driver, redist library (visual studio, C++, .net), hardware clash based on the small number of people with this and similar graphics related crashes.

@Vonik, as a dev I can tell you that these kind of bugs are never simple to fix. It is not happening to everyone so that becomes less of a code bug chance or some weird incompatibility with the game engine bits he is using and certain hardware. The Dev would really needs to be able to reproduce your bug in his development environment to debug that problem. My guess is he does not see this because his computer setup has all the "right" hardware/driver/libraries to make it work. Hopefully he can track down the issue quickly and get a solution out to you guys that are effected. You may want to see if he needs your save game file that always crashes. Those things can really help narrow down potential bugs.

Hope things get sorted out soon. [8D]
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

What kind of CPU/GPU/OS are you guys running? This appears to be a graphics related problem. I'm not sure what graphics engine the developer is using, but it might be a driver, redist library (visual studio, C++, .net), hardware clash based on the small number of people with this and similar graphics related crashes.

My notebook PC that I run SC3 on (to an external 24" screen running at 1080p)

Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.6Ghz (quad core)
Intel HD Graphics 4600 and Nvidia GTX 970m (though don't think the latter is used by SC3)
16Gb RAM
Windows 10 Anniversary Edition

A drivers are up-to-date

I get the crash quite often

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

oxford_guy, have you tried to force the game to use only the Nvidia card? Is that Win10 a clean install or upgrade?
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

oxford_guy, have you tried to force the game to use only the Nvidia card? Is that Win10 a clean install or upgrade?

I tried to force it to use the Nividia card in Nvidia control panel, but it doesn't seem to want to use it (the LED indicating it's being used doesn't come on). The Win 10 installation I did from a clean install.
sad ham

Post by sad ham »

My CPU Intel core 2 Quad 2.83 Ghz

My GPU NVIDIA GeForce GT730.

Running Windows 7
vonik

Post by vonik »

CPU : Intel Core I7 5930K 3.5 GHz
GPU : GTX 980 Ti
32 GO RAM
W10 clean

As for the frequency, this is by far the most reported bug (for those who care to report bugs) so that I'd suppose that it happens almost for everybody .
In my case I can reproduce it almost always by the quit/reload sequence but if I did this sequence rarely, I'd also see the bug relatively rarely yet it wouldn't mean that it is (pseudo) random and rare .
I have also some experience as EDP manager and bugs that can be reliably reproduced are those that are the fastest and easiest to fix .

Return to “Tech Support”