OT: Use of Captured Equipment

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Revthought

OT: Use of Captured Equipment

Post by Revthought »

It is, of course, well known that during the Second World War, particularly on the Eastern front, both sides used vehicles and equipment that were captured during the course of the war. In fact, War in the East actually models this, which I think is awesome, but that's another story entirely.

My question is: to what extend this this happen in the Pacific War. Specifically, did the Japanese make use of equipment captured during their expansion in the early war? Did either side make a practice of this in China?

Just curious.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Lecivius

RE: OT: Use of Capture Equipment

Post by Lecivius »

Marines & the local CAU used Japanese equipment to finish the initial strip on Henderson. They also confiscated the ice cream maker [;)] Once they got going the US just bulldozed Japanese equipment. The Japanses used a lot of stuff they found in HK, Singapore, Sebang, and Palembang. I'm not sure anywhere else.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

Been a while since I played it, but WITE simulates in pretty well.

You get ridiculously excited when your Romanian Tank Division upgrades to captured T-34s!
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Japanese definitively used anything they captured, that said, there was not a lot of "interesting" equipment available, most of the American and British equipment captured was old/ substandard and in small numbers.

I can see them using Allied Stuarts, trucks, halftrucks, and construction equipment, otherwise not a lot to show. Aircraft captured probably was more useful for R&D and propaganda purposes
Orm

Post by Orm »

You get ridiculously excited when your Romanian Tank Division upgrades to captured T-34s!
I thought that the captured T-34 was one of few tanks that Germany didn't allow to be used as tanks. This because the T-34 was so well known and dangerous that Germans fired on them at first sighting without checking if it was a captured tank or not. The risk for friendly fire was simply to great.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

The Japanese captured a large amount of merchant shipping and made good use of it. As for weapons, I am sure that they made good use of tanks, trucks and weaponry captured during the expansion. The problem was that Japanese industry did not have the capacity to expand to produce ammunition and spare parts. So any use was limited to existing stocks.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Encircled

Post by Encircled »

I thought that the captured T-34 was one of few tanks that Germany didn't allow to be used as tanks. This because the T-34 was so well known and dangerous that Germans fired on them at first sighting without checking if it was a captured tank or not. The risk for friendly fire was simply to great.

Nah, seen pics of lots of them in German markings, and they are in the OOB of quite a few units in 1942 on the Eastern Front.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Japanese made liberal use of big shore guns. Didn't the Singapore guns end up on Ponape or Tarawa?
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: Encircled

Nah, seen pics of lots of them in German markings, and they are in the OOB of quite a few units in 1942 on the Eastern Front.

They painted some more markings on them it seems:[;)] ASFAIK the 76mm ammo for T34 and the same calliber field/AT guns were manufactured in Germany (one of the few munitions for captured weapons, they had so many of them so it made sense... they would even ship some 76mm to Africa iirc - quite a long way)

Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Japanese made liberal use of big shore guns. Didn't the Singapore guns end up on Ponape or Tarawa?

I believe Tarawa (betio?), check this awesome footage (he talks there about captured Japanese guns in it somewhere I believe VICKERS guns? - edit, he said these guns were purchased by the Japanese not captured)

WW2 1943 Battle of Tarawa Japanese sites (Kiribati, Gilbert Islands), Central Pacific

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5q-O7NqXx0
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Germans used T-34
they added commander's cupola, radio equipment and oversize markings to reduce the chance of friendly fire

they used damaged tanks as AT guns
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Oh, no, the Germans definitely used t34s. They just painted a German cross on them.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
btd64

Post by btd64 »

The Japanese captured a few B-17"s. Experimented with them....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

The Germans converted specifically a party of Soviet KV-1's for the planned invasion of Malta.
Here's a picture of my Hobby Master 1/72 scale model of it - they installed a new turret cupola.
This is the actual camo pattern intended to be used in the operation:

Attachments
HG300841000.jpg
HG300841000.jpg (79.73 KiB) Viewed 207 times
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Marines Fire Captured Japanese Mountain Gun, Saipan

Attachments
nese_Mount..n_Saipan.jpg
nese_Mount..n_Saipan.jpg (201.73 KiB) Viewed 207 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

M3, but this one ex-Brit captured in Burma, Brit style stowage

Attachments
M3exBrit..stowage.jpg
M3exBrit..stowage.jpg (136.39 KiB) Viewed 207 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Russian T26 in Burma

Attachments
T2620in20Burma.jpg
T2620in20Burma.jpg (21.62 KiB) Viewed 207 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Thompson SMG (Fourth Soldier from right)

Attachments
Thompson.jpg
Thompson.jpg (28.27 KiB) Viewed 208 times

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Captured Bofors 40mm AA Gun

Attachments
Bofors40mm201.jpg
Bofors40mm201.jpg (90.74 KiB) Viewed 208 times

Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you, guys, for the info and correction about the T-34. [&o] [:)]

Apparently it was yet another fact wrong in a book of mine. It is so nice to be able to visit here and read your posts. Thank you.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”