slow speed with fleets..

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

twinkypillow

slow speed with fleets..

Post by twinkypillow »

What causes the slow speed with fleets when traveling?

I have torrent drives that are supposed to go 30,000 speed.. and they only travel at 10,000..

Attachments
slowspeed.jpg
slowspeed.jpg (101.75 KiB) Viewed 181 times
Aeson

RE: slow speed with fleets..

Post by Aeson »

I expect that one or more ships in your fleet are out of fuel. Ships which are out of fuel travel at one third the rated hyperspeed, and fleets usually travel at the speed of the slowest ship in the fleet.
twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

Yeah, I'm sure it's that. I have 100 ship fleets with 500 fuel of each ship.. and I'm sure they aren't full.
Gorde

Post by Gorde »

Bring up your ship design; does it show full speed in the graph? I have noticed that some of my highly tweaked designs don't have a good power ratio and do less than max speed (adding another power plant tends to fix that).

On a side note: [X(] How the heck can you stand to build that many ships? Granted, I've only played large-sized maps, but if my endgame fleets get over 20 ships each, I'm doing it just for the sake of overkill. Heh, no wonder your system is choking. ~20k fleet power sweeps the map in the games I've played (granted, I tend toward larger, beefier ships). What settings are you playing on that requires those numbers, or are you just having fun with the massiveness of it all? Inquiring minds wanna know.
Aeson

Post by Aeson »

Bring up your ship design; does it show full speed in the graph? I have noticed that some of my highly tweaked designs don't have a good power ratio and do less than max speed (adding another power plant tends to fix that).
This is a good thought, but it is not particularly likely that this is the case here. Explanation:

Design hyperspeed can be computed as min(1, [excess reactor output] / [rated hyperdrive power]) * [rated hyperspeed], and the excess reactor output is always an integer in the unmodded game. The only hyperdrives for which a design speed of exactly 10,000 is possible are therefore the Gerax II (first upgrade of the Gerax Hyperdrive) and Calista-Dal I, as you would need a noninteger excess reactor output to get a design speed of 10,000 using any other hyperdrive. As you must have developed Calista-Dal IIs in order to have any form of Torrent Drive, it's impossible for a ship with an underpowered Calista-Dal I to be slowing down this fleet, and I would regard it as unlikely for a ship with a Gerax II and only 60 excess reactor output to still be in service by the time Torrent IIs are available.

Additionally, the image in the original post gives us some additional clues. The vessel selected has 130 firepower and is part of the TitanFrigates fleet, which contains 341 ships and has a total firepower of 44330. 130 * 341 = 44330, so it's somewhat likely that the TitanFrigates fleet contains 341 ships of the BeamFrigate Mk5 class. Assuming this is an unmodded game, we can also tell that the BeamFrigate Mk5 class is equipped with at least one Phaser Lance III (no other weapon in the unmodded game has a maximum range of exactly 500), has either 7 Standard Fuel Cell IIs or 4 Mega Density Fuel Cells, is probably equipped with 5 Megatron Z4 II shield generators (simplest way to get 975 total shield strength), is probably propelled at sublight speeds by 8 Proton Thruster IIIs or 6 Vortex Engine IIs or 5 Vortex Engine IIIs or 5 StarBurner IIs or 4 StarBurner IIIs (simplest ways to get a sprint speed of ~56 at size 207; Proton IIIs are unlikely because people tend to skip dead-end techs and due to being fairly low-tech components compared to other components which are present on the design), and is probably powered by either 1 HyperFusion Reactor III or 3 Fusion Reactor Is (simplest reasonable way to get 540 energy storage; six Basic Space Reactors would also work but would be rather silly by the time you're running around with Torrent IIs and Phaser Lance IIIs, and you could also do a mixed-reactor setup such as BSR + Fission III + NovaCore II but mixed-reactor setups are of questionable value and the example setup, which would give 540 energy capacity, is fairly nonsensical as just using a pair of NovaCore IIs would give more total output, more energy storage, and better fuel efficiency for less size).

We also know that ships of the BeamFrigate Mk5 class are size-207. In my experience, hyperdrive power requirements tend to be fairly comparable to the power requirements of the armament or sublight drive systems of designs in the 200-300 size range, i.e. a ship in that size range whose power plant does not fully power or nearly fully power the hyperdrive is unlikely to be able to fully power its armament or sublight drives in combat. This however is fairly heavily design- and component-dependent.
twinkypillow

Post by twinkypillow »

that's just hilarious Aeson, you have way too much time to know all that. but it's really funny.

It seems you are correct on most aspects, I can show you my build designs if interested..

for this particular game I am trying out smallest designs with almost no shields and nothing for reasons of trying to build 300 ship fleets at 1000+- build cost a piece etc..

I wanted to build a lot of ships and build them fast also..
Gorde

Post by Gorde »

Ha! That's some super sleuthing there, Aeson. It never even occurred to me to study the photo. [:)] You shall be Sherlock of the Distant Worlds forum.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”