Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> After Action Report >> RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/18/2017 11:52:59 PM   
MikeJ19

The battle continues...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 31
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/19/2017 1:16:54 AM   
MikeJ19

The visibility keeps changing as the rain picks up and then falls off again. For about 5 minutes it was down to 50m - the game time went by quickly at that point.

I'm worried that I have been posting too many screen shots - so I've skipped a few...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 32
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/19/2017 1:55:53 PM   
MikeJ19

The last 42 minutes have been interesting. The rain picked up, dropping the visibility significantly for a bit, which hid a movement of lots of soviet APCs into the main battle area. It cleared up for a couple of minutes just before noon - enough that I planned an ICM mission along the road L3809 leading to the bridge outside Kirchhain - is was a very effective mission taking out a bunch of APCs.

At 1205, the rain slowed and the visibility went up to 2000m from 500m...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 33
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/19/2017 3:47:51 PM   
Capn Darwin

You are almost 3 to 1 in command cycle. OODA looped them good.

13 Update is live! Everyone is working hard on Southern Storm!

Website still in limbo

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 34
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/20/2017 10:16:23 AM   
MikeJ19

Capn Darwin,

I'm inside their OODA loop, but I still need to be better at exploiting this advantage. In one of these scenarios, I want to show the soviets a target for them to attack, and not be there when the attack arrives, but be in a location that can take out the soviet forces more easily. I'm not explaining it well, I just know that I can exploit the command cycles better! Maybe I can do that in this scenario, with my upcoming withdrawal from Neiderwald...

Between 1214 and 1327 the visibility was poor which slowed down the mayhem a little. My forces did a great job taking out the soviets that popped the ridge at the south end of Cat along the L3809 and B62.

I've been using my fire support resources very well and put a FASCAM minefield in the valley along the L3809 to try and slow down the advancing soviet forces.

Here is the situation at 1327...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Capn Darwin)
Post #: 35
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/21/2017 10:07:53 AM   
MikeJ19

Between 1400 and 1738, the weather was very inconsistent with low visibility for long periods of time.

I kept checking the area around the Dog (the northern VP locations) and saw no enemy.

Around 1530, I ordered a recce pair to move north and at 1604 I secured the 2 VP locations in Dog.

I've moved some forces to support the recce pair in Dog - to ensure that I hold onto the VP - and a decisive victory.

At about 1735, the rain stopped and the vis increase to 6000m...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 36
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/21/2017 10:45:16 AM   
MikeJ19

Game over!

Not much action between 1738 and 1900 - the visibility was good, but the soviets did not push much. I felt like they had run out of steam. Finally.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 37
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/21/2017 10:46:11 AM   
MikeJ19

The final reported claims and kill chart...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 38
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/21/2017 10:47:22 AM   
MikeJ19

Final positions

I will add some final thoughts on my actions and the scenario later today. I enjoyed this challenge.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 39
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/21/2017 11:31:56 AM   
MikeJ19

AAR

What did I do right?

I stuck fairly well to my plan – moving forward to towards Cat and then making decisions on how to respond as I figured out the soviet intentions. I did not have the forces to assault or be assaulted, and I did a good job of not letting my forces get stuck in close combat.

My use of fire support was very good. Early on when the soviets were still advancing, I let the FSCC control the missions, but when the fighting got more intense, and it was clearer where the soviets were and where they needed to go, I controlled the missions. I really like where I placed the FASCAM – along L3809 right after the bridge.

I seized the initiative to secure Dog. Early on, I was convinced that the soviets had left no forces and I kept checking this out, which led me to concluding that a recce pair could secure both VP locations. Waiting till near the end was also a good idea, as it gave the soviets less time to counter attack.

I did a better job of resupplying.

What could I improve on?

Attention to detail – if I had realized earlier on that the VP% were lower than the last scenario for victory, I would have been more confident going in. I was worried for the longest time that I did not have forces that could assault and capture objectives from the soviets and that would lead to a loss. I think that my plan would have been similar if I had realized this earlier on.

Use of helicopters. I lost a Cobra and some Kiowas early in the scenario because I flew them into an area where they had no protection from soviet AD systems. Later in the game, I took less risks with them, and gave them better chances to succeed. I need to get better at planning their moves and engagement.

My Avengers should have been better placed – I needed to be thinking about getting them into places that had good visibility over more of the battlefield.

Taking advantage of the OODA loop. The NATO forces have a built in advantage of shorter command cycles. I need to explore how to better exploit this advantage.

Thoughts on the scenario/game

It was a fun challenging scenario and it took me a long time to really understand how I was going to win – understanding the victory conditions would have helped!

The mixture of forces for the US player is challenging and it was interesting not to be defending something as much as trying to force the soviets into attacking so you can destroy them – it was a cool twist.

I’m surprised that the soviets lefts VP locations completely clear of forces.

This would be interesting to play as the soviet player – lots of options open to them.

Overall, I really enjoyed the change of pace and the challenge. It was a different mixture of forces and the impact of the weather was interesting too.

I think I will move to a scenario with choppers - to try and get better with them.

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 40
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/21/2017 2:36:52 PM   
Capn Darwin

Great AAR and a hard fought victory.

13 Update is live! Everyone is working hard on Southern Storm!

Website still in limbo

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 41
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/24/2017 1:04:59 AM   
MikeJ19

Capn Darwin,

Thanks, it was a fun scenario. I'm going to try "A few Good Choppers" next. I want to better understand how to use helicopters. I'm also looking forward to trying out the MLRS...

Have a good day,

Mike

(in reply to Capn Darwin)
Post #: 42
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/25/2017 4:38:09 PM   
KungPao

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeJ19

The battle continues...

Hi Mike
FYI, the max range of I-TOW on AH-1 is 3750m, that's the reason why those AH-1 took no shots, they are out of range.

KungPao

Sir? Do you want to order a Kung Pao Chicken or a Kung Fu Chicken?

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 43
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 1/25/2017 8:27:27 PM   
MikeJ19

KungPao,

Thanks for the comment. It made me take a look at the different views and now I have fund that I can check the range of my weapons - this will help greatly!

Have a good day,

Mike

(in reply to KungPao)
Post #: 44
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 2/2/2017 4:54:05 PM   
Mad Russian

One of the more challenging scenarios IMO. The reason is because you aren't sure what is happening, who it is happening with or where it's happening.

That's the life of the Recon units. Often they are sent into an area with the least amount of intelligence of the enemy of any forces that will engage.

It was interesting watching you shift your forces to counter what your eyes were telling you.

Great AAR!

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 45
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 2/2/2017 8:53:18 PM   
MikeJ19

Thanks, I'm impressed with the scenarios so far - they have lots of different challenges and options. I need to remember to think about what I am actually seeing the enemy do...

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 46
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 10/10/2017 9:49:06 PM   
rhnelson

I've been playing NS_AS Eyes, Ears, and Teeth as NATO with 2.0.13. In hexes 1611 and 1911 there are EXIT symbols. Is the purpose to recon the Soviets and then exit?

And thanks to Mike319 for the great AAR.

< Message edited by rhnelson -- 10/10/2017 9:56:43 PM >

(in reply to MikeJ19)
Post #: 47
RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth - 10/11/2017 6:45:15 PM   
W1ll14m

Rick, do you have a screen shot or a save game for us? I'm not seeing EXIT symbols when I launch the scenario as NATO using 2.0.13.

William

OTS "garden boy"

(in reply to rhnelson)
Post #: 48
exit hexes - 10/12/2017 12:31:54 AM   
rhnelson

got the message "You are not allowed to post links, emails or phone numbers for 7 days from the date of your tenth post."

I'll post it when I get there

(in reply to W1ll14m)
Post #: 49
exit hexes - 10/12/2017 5:13:57 AM   
rhnelson

I played the game until I had > 50% VP, then moved my remaining units to the nearest exit hex. When the last one left the game ended. I got VPs for the exeted units

(in reply to rhnelson)
Post #: 50
RE: exit hexes - 10/12/2017 10:09:23 PM   
RedCharlie65

Superb AAR!

(in reply to rhnelson)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> After Action Report >> RE: Eyes, Ears and Teeth Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI