Why I would not buy this game again!

Scourge of War is the definitive American Civil War grand tactical wargame of this generation. With impressive 3D graphics, an award-winning AI, pausable real-time play, historical battlefield terrain and orders of battle down to the regiment and battery level, Scourge of War captures the tactical challenges that faced the real Union and Confederate commanders more than 130 years ago.

This forum covers the main game Gettysburg and its two expansions Antietam, Pipe Creek, and Chancellorsville!

Moderator: MOD_ScourgeofWar

spinecruncher

Why I would not buy this game again!

Post by spinecruncher »

I think after having gotten to a certain point in this game, I have come to realize I cannot move units larger than the size of a regiment in TC mode by way of courier system across the map, actually I cannot move units in TC mode at all larger than a Reg. For example in scenario # 7, cannot get my units to flank Round Top because the units all go directly north to face the enemy. If I try and TC an entire brigade, they will not respond to orders unless they are stationary. For example, I TC the brigade CO, now all his reg's are TC'd. I order them to form a column and go here or there, "have your unit go to this map point" and only the leader goes.

This makes the game not really worth playing after a certain point. Who wants to have to order each Reg to do something. No one has been able to explain in plain English how to move entire brigades or Divs in TC mode which leads me to believe it can only occur in some arcane mod fashion. Really poor design IMHO and completely not dealt with in the manual.

And another really disappointing feature that can somewhat be remedied by using custom option is that on the grog diff mode, the map does not update with the accumulation of intelligence. Why would a map be completely blank in Grog mode? Certainly the CO would start out knowing where his subordinates are! This is absurd. Then, when the enemy is sighted the CO would fill in his map accordingly. But this does not happen in Grog mode. How absurd is that?

I cannot recommend this game for these reasons!
Floyd

RE: Why I would not buy this game again!

Post by Floyd »

You didn't understand what is simulated in this game: the higher your command, the less
you order individual units. For example, as a corps commander, you give orders to your division
commanders. And in grog mode, you are limited to sending couriers and command by HITS.
As this is the most realistic mode, you should not see any units on the map - in real time.
Just as it was in RL.

There are enough switches and knobs to tune the game to your style of play.
Fly god like over the battlefield, TC each and every brigade and move every single
cannon to the place you want. Or play grog mode and fight not only the enemy,
but also the problems in commanding 70000 men.

SOW:G is just awesome in simulating the chain of command.

Return to “Scourge of War Gettysburg Series”