Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help with Road to Smolensk scenario

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Help with Road to Smolensk scenario Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help with Road to Smolensk scenario - 1/13/2017 11:53:09 AM   
Hoggorm

Hi,

I struggle a lot with this scenario (yes it does not help being a noob...)

My main problem is supply of course. I've taken Minsk with over 1500 Supply and 3300 Fuel. I've placed three Panzer Corps HQs in Minsk but neither draw fuel and supplies from Minsk and deliver it to my Panzer and Motorized units. Hence, they receive too little fuel and will not be able to cross Dnepr in turn 3 at least. In the meantime, the soviets will place lots of units on the eastern side of the river and I will not be able to cross in turn 4 either...

So now I have to wait for my infantry to walk all the way to assist in the attack across the river and I guess that my attack can start perhaps around turn 5...

Well... That was my plan. What is yours? I play on normal difficulty.

How do you do it? :)
Post #: 1
RE: Help with Road to Smolensk scenario - 1/13/2017 8:09:58 PM   
STEF78

I think a patch now prevents units from drawing fuel from cities...

I didn't play this scenario but I think that you need to use your railroad units to repair the rail then use a HQBU to refuel your HQ and then crush the soviets.

(in reply to Hoggorm)
Post #: 2
RE: Help with Road to Smolensk scenario - 1/13/2017 8:19:01 PM   
morvael

Units draw fuel from cities directly only when isolated and within 1 hex of the city.

In all other cases you must resupply via HQs. HQ supply drawing penalties are based on distance to nearest working rail hex, not the city they take supplies from (shown in supply details for a HQ).

(in reply to STEF78)
Post #: 3
RE: Help with Road to Smolensk scenario - 1/13/2017 9:08:17 PM   
Hoggorm

I see... I understand that my push for Minsk was somewhat un-productive then.

It is a bit strange when I think about it though. I mean - when my panzers run over an airfield they will gladly take a ton or two from it. But when they are in desperate need of fuel to continue the attack they will not take a single ton from 3300 just laying around in a nearby city...?

There may be a logic I do not see.

But back to my now failing plan: A HQBU in turn 3 or 4. Is that too soon? Have I done something wrong if it is needed that early?

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Help with Road to Smolensk scenario Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI