Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Night fighter defense

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Night fighter defense Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Night fighter defense - 1/11/2017 3:46:12 PM   
SheperdN7

Hi all, I hope it's forum still gets a visitor every now and then but I've been playing 1943 grand campaign as Luftwaffe against a friend, he has carved a corridor from the pas-de-Calais to the industrial Rhur region. He is doing a sustained night bombing campaign of the areas in the Ruhr and I am having a very tough time stopping him. My main night fighter production is He-219 A-2's and Do-217 N's but I'm willing to change it based on the advice that anyone is willing to give me to stop this dark night offensive.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve"- attributed to Isoroko Yamamoto
Post #: 1
RE: Night fighter defense - 1/11/2017 4:38:14 PM   
warshipbuilder

I think the Ju88C-6 is a better bet than the 217N.

From Vancouver but living in central Ontario. Yeah I know, I ask myself that question everyday from the middle of November until April.

warshipbuilder

Any ship can be a minesweeper, once.
Editor WitE2Pedia

(in reply to SheperdN7)
Post #: 2
RE: Night fighter defense - 1/13/2017 6:43:37 PM   
CCIPsubsim

Don't forget the flak aspect of it, too :)

I have noticed also that chasing the bomber stream through unpopulated space tends to result in very few kills; while fighters operating with spotlights and flak in the area seem to get a real boost from the ground defences. I would try to focus on saturating the likely targets and approaches to them with flak - the Ruhr is especially good for this since it's so full of targets (and therefore the enemy has to fly over some to get to others). If your radar coverage has been knocked out over the likely approaches, I'd not bother sending night fighters (in any serious number, anyway) into space that doesn't have effective radar coverage. Seeing that you can't actually stop a night bomber stream from hitting what they want to hit anyway, I'd put my bets (and my fighters) over flak-covered areas where you're most likely to hurt them.

Ju-88C also seems like a good bet to me since it's nearly as good as the others in terms of performance but at much less drain on resources.
I've seen FW-190s do some really good work as highlighters too, but then it made me think of what a waste of perfectly good day fighters that was...

Oh, and it looks like we have a bit of a Canadian club (southwestern and occasionally southeastern Ontario here!)

(in reply to warshipbuilder)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich >> Night fighter defense Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI