Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 1/19/2017 11:43:10 PM   
pzgndr

A little off-topic since this is a strategic Napoleonic boardgame, but I just got an email from Avalanche Press that they have a new edition of Soldier Emperor coming out. I thought the last new edition was pretty good, now it's old I guess. LOL

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 31
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 10/6/2017 11:25:08 AM   
bazjak

What would be the best one Napoleonic JTS game to learn to play on?

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 32
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 10/7/2017 11:02:04 AM   
rommel222

Greetings bazjak,
The HPS Waterloo Campaign title is good since most are familiar with this battle from history.
It covers the French, British and Prussians in various battles over the three day period and can be played from either side. There is also a campaign mode as well. Always use FOG (fog of war) setting for better simulation play. The AI is better on defense (good to fair) than offence(fair to poor).
Read more here: http://www.hist-sdc.com/spotlights/nb_waterloo.php
There is a free demo of this title at the John Tiller Software (JTS) website: (link below)
http://www.johntillersoftware.com/Demos.php

I like the HPS Napoleon in Russia Campaign due to the sweeping scope of summer, fall & winter battles in 1812.
For Napoleonic titles with smaller troop sizes but lots of smaller battles I like JTS Bonaparte's Peninsular War in Spain and the recent Campaign Marengo (early battles in Italy)

Once you learn to play one Napoleonic title you know how to play any of them.
If you want to keep small the Early American Wars series is even better:(same engine as Napoleonic)
I enjoy HPS/JTS French & Indian War and Campaign 1776 Revolutionary War. I live just 20 minutes from
The battle of Saratoga and 30 minutes from the battle of Bennington battlefields with their reinactments every year. Smaller troop sizes and smaller battles are handled well by the AI.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 33
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 10/7/2017 4:29:31 PM   
DonCzirr

Waterloo is good as noted above but I like Campaign Leipzig more.

As recommended to me from the Blitz moderator:

"I own the whole NAP series and from my POV Leipzig is my favorite JTS NAP title.

It is very well put together, includes alot of extra PDF documentation like uniforms and leaders, Scenario Strategy Guide, Terrain Effects Chart, Weapons Effect Chart, Prussian Regular, Garde and Reserve Regiment Listing, and also includes planning maps.

Most importantly, Leipzig has a different feel to it, in a good way, when playing it that I don't "feel" in other titles.

I too, would highly recommend you get Leipzig".

I was glad to take his advice.

Also - if you do, make sure to get Philippe at Bay's mod from GameSquad forums - makes the experience even better !

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

http://www.facebook.com/KurtvonKnispel

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 34
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 10/7/2017 6:16:46 PM   
76mm

I've only got three of these games--Leipzig, Bautzen, and Russia Campaign. Honestly, I don't like the Russia Campaign, most of its battles are a bit unconventional, and I'm playing these games in the hopes of playing some "normal" Napoleonic battles, if that makes any sense. I guess I like Leipzig the best, but overall I'm not completely sold on this series. Playing the AI in particular has been unsatisfying, and in most of the PBEM games I've played my opponent has disappeared. Kind of frustrating...

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 35
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 10/7/2017 7:03:42 PM   
rommel222

Greetings DonCzirr,
I agree completely that JTS Leipzig is probably one of the best in the Napoleonic series. I did not suggest it to start with due to its larger scope and battle size compared to Waterloo.
JTS did a great job on the order of battle list and support documentation for Leipzig too.

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 36
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 10/7/2017 7:16:51 PM   
rommel222

Greetings 76mm,
I agree that the battles in the Russian 1812 campaign are sometimes unconventional. But I find that makes it challenging. Due to the size of troop forces and battle size the AI is hard pressed to do from fair to poor. You can try Command control and/or shift the advantage bar to 110% to 150% for the AI force to give it a handicap. Will be more challenging for sure.
I have played every single Napoleonic software game out there and find myself coming back to HPS/JTS titles for "conventional" napoleonic game.
Play by mail is certainly the best way to play to avoid AI and sad to hear your opponents "melt away".

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 37
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 10/8/2017 10:36:38 AM   
bazjak

rommel222
Thankyou for you reply
Before you replied i went ahead and bought JTS Bonaparte's Peninsular War
I like it and getting on with it
But since all theses messages have come in im now not sure if i have the best one
It seems a lot of you like the JTS Leipzig one but as these games are expensive i think i will wait on that
Are JTS and HPS Napoleon's Russian Campaign the same game if so there seems to be a $10 price difference between the two

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 38
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 10/8/2017 2:09:53 PM   
rommel222

Greetings bazjak,
Congratulations on taking the plunge for JTS Bonaparte's Peninsular War. Glad to hear you are liking it. For me. I find it to be the "best" for me since it has small to medium size battles. There are troops from various French and British allies. In addition, there are the Spanish guerrillas which can be a pain in the butt for the French in ambushes.
What is the "best" Napoleonic title depends on personal preference for the theatre of war and nations involved. But there have been some improvements in the game engine/graphics since John Tiller (JTS) parted company with HPS several years ago. Leipzig 1813 campaign was the first Napoleonic offering by JTS and made our mouths water in anticipation of such a monster game with many small to medium battles as well.
JTS sells the download titles only (no cd version). But HPS sells both download and cd versions.
That is why HPS is $10 more. I buy HPS versions since I like having a cd back up copy. If you watch amazon and ebay you can still get new or used copies of some HPS titles. Nobleknight games seems to be a good supplier on ebay or there website for cd versions:
http://www.nobleknight.com/ViewProdLine.asp_Q_ManufacturerID_E_2145082930_A_CategoryID_E_21_A_GenreID_E_0

If you prefer download versions just buy from JTS. Being in my 60s I am old fashioned and prefer cd version when possible.
Take note that JTS versions will be supported with future updates/patches while HPS will no longer do. JTS is allowing those of us with HPS versions to convert over so as to get access to JTS updates/patches. In short, stick with JTS versions.
JTS/HPS Napoleon's Russian Campaign are practically the same. Both versions have update/patches to add once purchased so be sure to install them.
Now a shameless plug for the original John Tiller Battleground Napoleonic Wars by matrixgames:
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=321
The maps are superior to JTS/HPS versions and during holiday sale at matrixgames you can get it very cheap. I love Battleground Waterloo scenario: What a great day for a battle.
Also includes Battleground Napoleon in Russia too. Ah the memories then and now! Still enjoy playing them so thanks matrixgames for offering this title.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 39
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 10/8/2017 5:12:14 PM   
bazjak

rommel222
Thanks for all the info
Just getting into it a bit now
Seems good
Thanks

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 40
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 10/8/2017 6:10:40 PM   
antoarc65

you should check the wargaming society website and the napoleonic wargame club; you'll find many players there and a lot of infos.

I play the JTS from when it was called talonsoft ( the system is almost the same from about 20 years).

I am free to play at the moment and can start some pbem battle; the game show its best only in pbem, the ai is only to learn the game.

Feel free to pm me

regards
Antonio

p.s. sorry for my bad english B-(

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 41
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 10/9/2017 12:39:10 AM   
Rosseau

I've had some of the JTS Napoleonic games since release, and they are still a handful. Yes, thank God for the AI option in moving units. But honestly, I just finished three books on Waterloo/Quatre Bras/Ligny/Wavre and booted up HPS Waterloo after a few years. Immersion was "zero." Just a ton of work.

Not so (imo) with Squad Battles and the new JT Panzer Battles game. The latter is best of the best. Other thing I hate about the JT Nappy and CW games is the Campaign option which takes a lifetime of huge battles to complete and lack of OOB and unit editors.

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 42
RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? - 10/9/2017 8:17:05 AM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: rommel222
You can try Command control and/or shift the advantage bar to 110% to 150% for the AI force to give it a handicap.

Thanks for reminding me about these options, I keep forgetting to try them, although I'm not sure that giving the AI more troops will really help, it can't handle the ones it has and adding more might just add to the mess. Giving part of my force to AI control might be more interesting.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rommel222
I have played every single Napoleonic software game out there and find myself coming back to HPS/JTS titles for "conventional" napoleonic game.

The breadth and cohesiveness of the series are a big draw for me, but see below...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau
But honestly, I just finished three books on Waterloo/Quatre Bras/Ligny/Wavre and booted up HPS Waterloo after a few years. Immersion was "zero." Just a ton of work.

I wouldn't say that immersion is zero, but it is certainly no where near as high as I would like. Not really sure what is missing for immersion, though...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rosseau
Other thing I hate about the JT Nappy and CW games is the...lack of OOB and unit editors.

I thought you were mistaken about this--the JTS WWII games have a full OOB editor--but now I see that you are right, although you can edit OOBs via text files. I'm actually surprised that the community hasn't come up with a simple editor for these txt files, I wouldn't think it would be very hard. I tried using the WWII editor for the Nap OOBs, but it didn't work.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 10/9/2017 8:18:16 AM >

(in reply to rommel222)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Napoleonic Tactical/Operational Games? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI